Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

donaldtoo

Good Grief!!! :eek: And, WTH...?!?!?!?!?! :confused:
That thing looks like a giant transformer. :cyclops:
Or, perhaps, Willy Wonka's new chocolate factory...?! o_O

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
They really should have left it as the Hollywood Tower Hotel with some sci-fi tech growing out of it. Kind of like a corrupted Tower Of Terror. At least that would be somewhat believable than the eye cancer they came up with and the lazy and pathetic explanation why it looks the way it does.

lazyboy97o

My question is then why doesn't the facade show any corrosion or burnt features that look likes it's attacked. I mean, we have the rubble sections, but there's no sign of explosion or such around the doors or even on the rubble around the doorways. No broken pipes, no burnt blast marks, no evidence of any attack. Especially when the damage is across the entire building to a uniform height, implying the damage was done at once as separate attacks wouldn't likely yield the same type of damage to the exact same height each time.
It's a neat and orderly "Kablam!".

DDLand

My question is then why doesn't the facade show any corrosion or burnt features that look likes it's attacked. I mean, we have the rubble sections, but there's no sign of explosion or such around the doors or even on the rubble around the doorways. No broken pipes, no burnt blast marks, no evidence of any attack. Especially when the damage is across the entire building to a uniform height, implying the damage was done at once as separate attacks wouldn't likely yield the same type of damage to the exact same height each time.
The building makes no sense. What was peeled back by the attack? What's missing? It looks like it's shiny and new. I'm trying to imagine where the old part of the facade was and I'm struggling. I thought that it was just a little roughness, but if they're going for this storyline they need an explanation. Visually, I can't tell what's missing.

Show me what got destroyed. What's the point of having these minor visual cues if no one can notice or appreciate them? It's not obvious. Now the elevators are just randomly opening to the outside of the building after half of it was blown off. What?!?!

This building honestly seems like it should be condemned. Maybe the damage has been repaired and we're coming to the newly refurbished building? Still, having half your fortress get wrecked should tell you something about your security.

I actually think the building looks cool (especially in person) but come on, this is aggravating. I wish I had never known about this because now I can't unsee it...

This far from ruins it for me, but really this was an obvious stumble. The original version would have fixed this, but didn't make it out of development...

jmuboy

I'm not sure how recent this development is, it wasn't a good sign when the Marvel expansion apparently moved from the backlot to the expansion pad behind Hollywoodland.

I see this as a good thing....the move of Marvel BEHIND tower. It creates a space Just for Marvel but leaves room for Hollywoodland to grow and renovate in the future as well. i still hope the Mickey Ride is added to DCA.

Another reason marvel may be moving to the old parking lot behind GotG is because the tram stop / 2nd parking deck project may be off schedule impacting when the Hollywood north expansion space would be available.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I stared at the picture for a long time and all I saw was a schooner.

Seriously, it's not the prettiest design by a long shot...but that's hardly a phallic symbol. It's an up arrow and a circle. Someone is stretching pretty far here.

If you want to get serious about phallic symbols though...
moonrocket_1959.jpg
Liked for the Mallrats reference

October82

I see this as a good thing....the move of Marvel BEHIND tower. It creates a space Just for Marvel but leaves room for Hollywoodland to grow and renovate in the future as well. i still hope the Mickey Ride is added to DCA.

It's a positive thing from the perspective of theme, but not a positive from the perspective of quality and total expenditure. The backlot plans were more ambitious than anything planned for the expansion pad behind Tower.

Another reason marvel may be moving to the old parking lot behind GotG is because the tram stop / 2nd parking deck project may be off schedule impacting when the Hollywood north expansion space would be available.

Given the scale of investment, I doubt this is the reason.

Cesar R M

The real explanation is the Collector had a rare Flux Capacitor stored in that section of the building. When lightening struct it, it sent 1.21 gigawatts into the Flux Capacitor causing the building section to be sent back to 1939 Hollywood.
So.. the collector is actually trying to hide away in time from Universal's Lawyers because of the whole back in the future ripoff scenario? ;)

Ismael Flores

The building makes no sense. What was peeled back by the attack? What's missing? It looks like it's shiny and new. I'm trying to imagine where the old part of the facade was and I'm struggling. I thought that it was just a little roughness, but if they're going for this storyline they need an explanation. Visually, I can't tell what's missing.

Show me what got destroyed. What's the point of having these minor visual cues if no one can notice or appreciate them? It's not obvious. Now the elevators are just randomly opening to the outside of the building after half of it was blown off. What?!?!

This building honestly seems like it should be condemned. Maybe the damage has been repaired and we're coming to the newly refurbished building? Still, having half your fortress get wrecked should tell you something about your security.

I actually think the building looks cool (especially in person) but come on, this is aggravating. I wish I had never known about this because now I can't unsee it...

This far from ruins it for me, but really this was an obvious stumble. The original version would have fixed this, but didn't make it out of development...
To be fair the building never made sense anyway.

If only the shafts with the hotel guest elevators disappeared then where was the hallway that would normally be there when you exit the elevators.
If you look at the video in the pre-show it showed guests in the elevators go up the tower and only the shafts disappeared. The hallway should still be intact as part of the building if that was the case. There are service elevators where the hallway should be. This mean hotel guest would walk out of the elevator straight Into another elevator.
Then it gets more awkward the supposedly disappeared shafts are facing north or the front of the facade but when you walk into the hotel lobby you need to turn right to see the damaged doors.

The whole design of this version of tower was flawed to begin with.

Now about the damage and where is the proper blast zone. The WDW tower has the same issue.
The shafts of the building are clearly damaged. The blast zone is painted in almost the whole front of the building but for some reason on the letter "O" is clearly damaged while the rest of the sign is fine. Then you have this huge heavy sign that is placed in front of the shafts which are damaged. The sign is still in place and ok.
One can say that it is all part of the twilight zone mystery but haven't some people mentioned that their is I do out there that the tower originally was designed with another theme in mind and eventually the twilight zone tower with some tweaking.

I actually blame past management for all these issues. Not only where they pushing for a tower for Paris but then decides to rush a copy for DCA with no real plan for future park expansion. The tower should have been pushed back several feet and all the electrical equipment on the eastern side put behind the tower to allow it to be built closer to the eastern park border. Looks like theybuilt FFF and the tower like a sims park just cut out piece of lands and drop existing rides without fixing theming issues and plans for expanaions

Last edited:

Professortango1

If originally only the shafts with the hote guest elevators dissapeared then where was the hallway that would normally be there when you exit the elevators. If you look at the video in the preshow it showed guests in the elevators go up the tower only The shafts dissapeared so that means the hallway should still be intact es in the building but instead there are service elevators where the hallway should be. This mean hotel guest would walk out of the elevator straight Into another elavator.
Then it gets more awkward the supposedly dissapeared shafts are facing north or the front of the facade but when you walk into the hotel lobby You need to turn right to see the damaged doors.

Here's the way I always saw it work. Our service elevator sees the doomed shaft across the hall, meaning the guest elevators are on the north side of the building and the service elevators are directly opposite. The service elevator shaft is fine, but through ghostly manipulations, we find ourselves transported into the damaged shaft.

I think Florida missed a great opportunity to help this storytelling with the use of the 5th Dimension Room. Imagine if the doors opened and you saw the damaged shaft down the hall. The doomed shaft beckons and suddenly your car lurches forward and exits the service shaft. You are pulled through the hotel hallway closer and closer to this haunted elevator shaft that killed 5 people. Ghosts alongside you, urging you forward maliciously. Finally, your car settles into the broken shaft, your fate is in the hands of the hotel now.

They could have even done this DCA's set up and built a room similar to the boulder room in IJA. Have the hallway crush against your shaft, giving you the impression you are traveling towards it.

Suspirian

A Rockin’, Free-Fall Adventure
This summer, get ready for some breathtaking fun starring one rag-tag crew of heroes!

The Guardians Need Your Help
Meet Taneleer Tivan—a.k.a. The Collector, keeper of the largest assemblage of fauna, relics and species from across the cosmos.

His unique collection can normally be found on the mining planet known as Knowhere… but now, he’s bringing it all to Disney California Adventure Park for a special exhibition featuring his latest prize possessions: The Guardians of the Galaxy themselves!

The Collector’s Fortress Awaits
As you make your way toward The Collector’s towering citadel, plants and trees from all over the known universe surround you, dubbed by Taneleer as the “Gardens of the Galaxy.” Before long, you’ll find yourself inside, in the presence of interstellar artifacts and creatures—including the Guardians of the Galaxy, held captive in glass cases high atop the fortress and dangling over an ominous abyss!

A “Big Thrill” Rescue Mission
After commandeering a gantry lift, you’ll join Rocket—recently escaped from his case—on a harrowing mission to rescue his fellow Guardians… but not before unleashing intergalactic mayhem in the process, from the top of the fortress to the bottom, and all to the tune of one of Star-Lord’s awesome mixtape songs!

Showcasing all-new special effects, appearances by popular characters, music inspired by the soundtracks from the films, and “big thrill” drop sequences with a free-fall sensation that’ll have you screaming for more, this is one adventure you won’t want to miss.

Opening May 27, 2017, it’s Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT!

from the Disneyland website

nevol

If originally only the shafts with the hote guest elevators dissapeared then where was the hallway that would normally be there when you exit the elevators. If you look at the video in the preshow it showed guests in the elevators go up the tower only The shafts dissapeared so that means the hallway should still be intact es in the building but instead there are service elevators where the hallway should be. This mean hotel guest would walk out of the elevator straight Into another elavator.
Then it gets more awkward the supposedly dissapeared shafts are facing north or the front of the facade but when you walk into the hotel lobby You need to turn right to see the damaged doors.

Now about the damage and where is the proper blast zone. The WDW tower has the same issue.
The shafts of the building are clearly damaged. The blast zone is painted in almost the whole front of the building but for some reason on the letter "O" is clearly damaged while the rest of the sign is fine. Then you have this huge heavy sign that is placed in front of the shafts which are damaged. The sign is still in place and ok.
One can say that it is all part of the twilight zone mystery but haven't some people mentioned that their is I do out there that the tower originally was designed with another theme in mind and eventually the twilight zone tower with some tweaking.

I actually blame past management for all these issues. Not only where they pushing for a tower for Paris but then decides to rush a copy for DCA with no real plan for future park expansion. The tower should have been pushed back several feet and all the electrical equipment on the eastern side put behind the tower to allow it to be built closer to the eastern park border. Looks like theybuilt FFF and the tower like a sims park just cut out piece of lands and drop existing rides without fixing theming issues and plans for expanaions

Yes. Would feel like a gift from the heavens to wake up one morning to news that Disney is finally just tearing the entire structure down.

JD2000

A Rockin’, Free-Fall Adventure
This summer, get ready for some breathtaking fun starring one rag-tag crew of heroes!

The Guardians Need Your Help
Meet Taneleer Tivan—a.k.a. The Collector, keeper of the largest assemblage of fauna, relics and species from across the cosmos.

His unique collection can normally be found on the mining planet known as Knowhere… but now, he’s bringing it all to Disney California Adventure Park for a special exhibition featuring his latest prize possessions: The Guardians of the Galaxy themselves!

The Collector’s Fortress Awaits
As you make your way toward The Collector’s towering citadel, plants and trees from all over the known universe surround you, dubbed by Taneleer as the “Gardens of the Galaxy.” Before long, you’ll find yourself inside, in the presence of interstellar artifacts and creatures—including the Guardians of the Galaxy, held captive in glass cases high atop the fortress and dangling over an ominous abyss!

A “Big Thrill” Rescue Mission
After commandeering a gantry lift, you’ll join Rocket—recently escaped from his case—on a harrowing mission to rescue his fellow Guardians… but not before unleashing intergalactic mayhem in the process, from the top of the fortress to the bottom, and all to the tune of one of Star-Lord’s awesome mixtape songs!

Showcasing all-new special effects, appearances by popular characters, music inspired by the soundtracks from the films, and “big thrill” drop sequences with a free-fall sensation that’ll have you screaming for more, this is one adventure you won’t want to miss.

Opening May 27, 2017, it’s Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT!
from the Disneyland website
So that explains how the 'story' has you looking over the Disneyland Resort. What is even more interesting is to call it a special 'exhibition'. That (along with how cheap Disney has been) could suggest it's actually temporary, and it'll all be demolished once 'Marvel Land' is under construction. This also happens to solve the issue of the awkward placement of the attraction and how it would position into this new land which has been rumored in different locations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom