Cosmic Commando

I thought this was the most intriguing thing from the Bloomberg article:
"Pandora’s glowing foliage also required some creativity. Early on, when the Imagineers made mock-ups of the forests, they realized that each alien plant—hundreds of fake ferns and flycatcher-looking things—would have to be connected to a central power source if they were to radiate light after sunset. The plants’ electricity requirements were so high that each had to be plugged into its own 2-foot-high control box. The Imagineers hid these behind tree stumps and real plants."

Sounds impressive. Each plant needs a 2' control box?

Dizmentia

I believe the images you saw are from the boat ride - Navi' River Journey and that is a screen.

Nope. Not screens, not from the boat ride. Outdoor bat figures shown in one of the Disney Imagineering videos.

17190343_1507294182614676_8540880964989647870_n.jpg

WDWdream97

Flights of Passage is having..... issues.

I'm sure it'll all be fine in a few weeks. As of now though it's not exactly running like clockwork.
Assuming FoP raises in the air (like Soarin', but not the same) and uses 3D glasses, how is Disney attempting to slove the inevitable pair of 3D glasses falling 30ft, and sadly the deliberate throwing of glasss while in the air?

Casper Gutman

This kinda makes me feel a little better for this ride. The more moving parts, the more intricate it is going to be, if you know what I mean.

I think insiders (correct me if I'm wrong - I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth) have suggested the problems have to do with the video and motion combo making people ill.

Let's hope we don't wind up with M:S 2.0.

TTA94

I think insiders (correct me if I'm wrong - I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth) have suggested the problems have to do with the video and motion combo making people ill.

Let's hope we don't wind up with M:S 2.0.

That's what I'm afraid of with FoP. Motion simulators are Not my friend lol... Soarin is the only thing I can handle lol.

clemmo

I've been wondering about the level of motion sickness on FoP. What would be its closest comp for anyone who is familiar with the ride system?

dreamscometrue

Assuming FoP raises in the air (like Soarin', but not the same) and uses 3D glasses, how is Disney attempting to slove the inevitable pair of 3D glasses falling 30ft, and sadly the deliberate throwing of glasss while in the air?
I don't think it raises up like Soarin'. I believe that we get up to various levels in the building (like walking up to 2nd floor, 3rd floor, etc.) to experience the 'flight'. I may be completely wrong, but someone in this thread will know. :)

cjkeating

I think it is as simple as the rider has an unsatisfactory experience because the screen will be blurry and the cast members will collect them from the floor at the end of the day.

Atomicmickey

I predict here and now that there will be a bunch of discussion/panic about motion sickness.
If you have seen the film Avatar, you know that you are diving and swooping and climbing and turning
much more than Soarin'. I would assume that as they have been working on this for several years
that it has been finely tuned--and has the ability to be adjusted finely, even more--as they start to
cycle it heavily.

That said, the ride moves, it has a screen, and therefore, SOME will experience problems. Perhaps
some that post here, or people they talk to, will. For sure. For certain. 'Cause we like to complain
and scream doom and gloom as much as we like to extol and evangelize.

What I think? Your mileage may vary. I hope it's not M:S, 'cause in all the world, that's the only ride
I've ever been on that made me feel bad. And I do roller coasters like nobody's business. I attribute
it to the spinning--which I'll assume that FOP does not do.

As for it not working right, right now, well, I'll assume that's part of regular Test and Adjust. The whole
"machine of a building" needs to hum along cycling guests through at a rapid rate of speed, it's pretty
astonishing when you think of any attraction and how heavily it works. I'm going to assume for now
that the whole thing is NOT a disaster and all will be well, and that this is part of normal working things
out.

And let's remember for all the complaining---tons of people, for example, thousands, millions, ride and
enjoy M:S. So it goes.

I can hardly wait to fly on a Banshee. Booked for October! So they'd better have it figured out by then!

No Name

I've never experienced motion sickness on a ride or simulator, aside from ones that spin fast. I don't feel well after looking at an electronic device for a while in the car, so I guess everyone has their "thing" and hopefully people are abke to enjoy Flight of Passage.

Though, if everyone does come off throwing up, maybe people will finally stop calling it "Soarin' 2.0" or "Soarin' over Pandora." :)

I don't think it raises up like Soarin'. I believe that we get up to various levels in the building (like walking up to 2nd floor, 3rd floor, etc.) to experience the 'flight'. I may be completely wrong, but someone in this thread will know. :)

Yeah, we board from multiple floors.

Just an educated guess... I think we enter the building on the second floor, and then board from the third, fourth, and fifth floors.

That doesn't change the fact that glasses could still fall off or be thrown. But as a poster above said, I don't think that'll be an issue, they'll just be collected from the floor at the end of the day. As long as they can't land on other riders...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom