Maharajah Jungle Trek tiger exhibit closed for refurbishment

Rider

When I talked to a cast member there a few months ago they were saying that they were almost finished with a new backstage area for the tigers. This new area would allow them to start trying to breed the pair that they have.

This might be related so a good sign for possible tiger cubs in the next year or so.

DSC_0182.jpg

ToTBellHop

When I talked to a cast member there a few months ago they were saying that they were almost finished with a new backstage area for the tigers. This new area would allow them to start trying to breed the pair that they have.

This might be related so a good sign for possible tiger cubs in the next year or so.

View attachment 199876
That would be wonderful. I miss the days when they had 5 or 6 (I think they had that many) tigers. Such amazing animals.

I'd book a trip just to see cubs!

_mickey_

I would love to see a breeding program started for the pair. The pitter-patter of little tiger paws would definitely draw in a sizable following!

Since both the Tigers and Tree of Life/It's Tough To Be A Bug will be down for refurb next week, maybe they'll compensate by having a soft opening for Pandora! (hahaha, yeah right)

Minnnie

Since it first opened, AK has always been on our "must-do" list. I've always had a weakness for many of the animals at AK, particularly, elephants, tigers, lions and gorillas.

Both trails have been at the top of our list of "not-to-miss" attractions at AK. The possibility of tiger cubs at AK thrills me, almost more than when we saw the baby elephant on the safari in February. I find most of the recent rumors annoying and sad; but, this is definitely one rumor that I love and hope will be true.

We've had many "babies" at the Philly Zoo over the years, including tiger and lion cubs. It's so easy to spend an hour or more watching them. Looking forward to the same activity in the future at AK. :) :)

Kevin_W

View attachment 199876

I didn't realize they had a pair - several years ago it was all female.

We're lucky enough that our local zoo (Columbus) has had tiger cube twice over the past few years. They are adorable! It would be nice to see them at AK.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, April 20. Here is the only change to the Maharajah Jungle Trek: Black coverings over the windows in the tiger viewing area. The remainder of the Jungle Trek is unchanged, except there are no tigers on view at any location.

IMG_9497.JPG

I spoke with a knowledgeable cast member who said, yes they are starting a tiger breeding program. They will be constructing a "cubbing den" within the grassy hill as viewed from this area. Currently, the tigers seek the shade under the trees on the right side of the exhibit, over the back side of the hill which can't be seen by the guests. This addition of a natural rock cave or den within the hill, open to the viewing side, will encourage the tigers to relax in the shade of the den. The refurbishment is expected to take 3-5 weeks, and then get approval by a multitude of zoo agencies and imagineers.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Hard to believe - the Jungle Trek was closed in Jan 2016 when we were there...just last year...

Bolt

Hard to believe - the Jungle Trek was closed in Jan 2016 when we were there...just last year...
What part is hard to believe? The tigers are off show because they're staring a breeding program. The whole rest of the trail is open.

PREMiERdrum

I didn't realize they had a pair - several years ago it was all female.

We're lucky enough that our local zoo (Columbus) has had tiger cube twice over the past few years. They are adorable! It would be nice to see them at AK.

Columbus has had much success in breeding both Amur Tigers and African Lions over the last few years.

We have 9 lions in Heart of Africa currently, with most of them coming from the last 2 litters of cubs! It's a wonder Tomo (the father) has kept his sanity.

Kevin_W

Columbus has had much success in breeding both Amur Tigers and African Lions over the last few years.

We have 9 lions in Heart of Africa currently, with most of them coming from the last 2 litters of cubs! It's a wonder Tomo (the father) has kept his sanity.

Yes, the cat breeding program is doing well! The lion cubs were also fun to watch grow. I think Tomo mostly sleeps. It's good to be king.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom