News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Can't really argue with any of what you posted. They are basically going where the money is. They've shifted from being a vacation destination for anyone to one for the well-heeled and those with large credit limits desperate to give their kids a "once-in-a-lifetime" vacation. :(
When we are talking about hotel/resorts, I agree that Disney is going after mainly the high-end market. But the lower-end of the market is very well served by plenty of off-property properties. You can get a decent room within 5 miles of WDW for $80/night or less. My family of 4 and my parents stayed just off 535 and 536 in LBV (a 5 minute drive to Epcot, a bit longer to other parks) in a 2 bedroom condo for $125/night. No need to be well-heeled or have a large credit limit for that. Sure the park tickets are still expensive, but I think Disney figures the middle and low-end of the hotel market is largely covered and a large number of people staying in those properties are price-sensitive enough that they won't pay Disney prices for moderates anyways. I can afford it, but I'd rather pay $125 for a condo off-site then $400 for two rooms at a moderate. Disney isn't interested in competing at the price point that would truly be competitive, so they'll just take my ticket and food money and let somebody else get my hotel money.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
My family of 4 and my parents stayed just off 535 and 536 in LBV (a 5 minute drive to Epcot, a bit longer to other parks) in a 2 bedroom condo for $125/night. No need to be well-heeled or have a large credit limit for that. Sure the park tickets are still expensive, but I think Disney figures the middle and low-end of the hotel market is largely covered and a large number of people staying in those properties are price-sensitive enough that they won't pay Disney prices for moderates anyways. I can afford it, but I'd rather pay $125 for a condo off-site then $400 for two rooms at a moderate. Disney isn't interested in competing at the price point that would truly be competitive, so they'll just take my ticket and food money and let somebody else get my hotel money.

I think I know exactly where you stayed. ;) It's a nice property, and arguably one of the best locations you can get if you want to stay off-property.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I think I know exactly where you stayed. ;) It's a nice property, and arguably one of the best locations you can get if you want to stay off-property.
To be fair, over the years, we've stayed in over two dozen different places off-property, some of them not nearly as nice. I long ago got to the point where sharing a regular hotel room with my kids reduces the fun of the vacation significantly. Once we started looking for suites/condos, staying on property became prohibitively expensive. Every now and then, we'll do it, but mostly, it's a condo, townhome, or house in LBV or Kissimmee. Lots of nice places. Although to many around here, staying off-property is blasphemy!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The article says that they have seen proof. We can talk all we want about fake news, but it's highly unlikely the OS would blatantly lie about something like this and equally as unlikely that they would have been fed false documents.
I don't want to get political here, but... :cautious:

Kman101

For 3 nights I stayed at the Best Western near Disney Springs for the cost of one night at a moderate, and now Pop Century I see is wanting $129 for a standard room (come on...). I mean ... 3 nights for the cost of one night, before taxes, at a moderate (and funny how a decade ago that $129-ish I could have stayed at French Quarter, which I did but not anymore)... and they have bus service to the parks, not that I needed it. The room was fine. And seemed to be updated recently. But I don't fault anyone who does want to stay in the bubble and can afford to pay those prices. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere. I still felt enough in the Disney bubble.

I can't imagine what Pop or the overpriced (albeit very nice) AoA will become once the Gondola's are in service.

lazyboy97o

The article says that they have seen proof. We can talk all we want about fake news, but it's highly unlikely the OS would blatantly lie about something like this and equally as unlikely that they would have been fed false documents.
It sounds like the documents were acquired through a public records request. Reedy Creek Improvement District releasing false public records would be an even bigger story.

Creathir

For 3 nights I stayed at the Best Western near Disney Springs for the cost of one night at a moderate, and now Pop Century I see is wanting $129 for a standard room (come on...). I mean ... 3 nights for the cost of one night, before taxes, at a moderate (and funny how a decade ago that $129-ish I could have stayed at French Quarter, which I did but not anymore)... and they have bus service to the parks, not that I needed it. The room was fine. And seemed to be updated recently. But I don't fault anyone who does want to stay in the bubble and can afford to pay those prices. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere. I still felt enough in the Disney bubble.

I can't imagine what Pop or the overpriced (albeit very nice) AoA will become once the Gondola's are in service.

Is $129 THAT unreasonable?

The Hampton Inn in Kissimmee is asking $134 for a two queen bed room tonight...

If the price is in alignment with surrounding "normal" hotels, I'm not sure what the complaint is really about.

Kman101

Is $129 THAT unreasonable?

The Hampton Inn in Kissimmee is asking $134 for a two queen bed room tonight...

If the price is in alignment with surrounding "normal" hotels, I'm not sure what the complaint is really about.

For me it is. We all have our own prices that we'd pay. To you it's not. And I wouldn't stay at that Hampton Inn, either for that price. If I can help it. And that $129 is before taxes and fees. I don't think the room is worth it. And it's one of my favorite resorts. Not sure why you're taking issue with my post?

Why do you have to focus on it being me "complaining"?

Sheesh. Is the same person following me around with different accounts and questioning all my posts?

DisneyDreamer08

When we are talking about hotel/resorts, I agree that Disney is going after mainly the high-end market. But the lower-end of the market is very well served by plenty of off-property properties. You can get a decent room within 5 miles of WDW for $80/night or less. My family of 4 and my parents stayed just off 535 and 536 in LBV (a 5 minute drive to Epcot, a bit longer to other parks) in a 2 bedroom condo for $125/night. No need to be well-heeled or have a large credit limit for that. Sure the park tickets are still expensive, but I think Disney figures the middle and low-end of the hotel market is largely covered and a large number of people staying in those properties are price-sensitive enough that they won't pay Disney prices for moderates anyways. I can afford it, but I'd rather pay $125 for a condo off-site then $400 for two rooms at a moderate. Disney isn't interested in competing at the price point that would truly be competitive, so they'll just take my ticket and food money and let somebody else get my hotel money.

I realize this is going slightly off topic but once you add in rental car and parking at the Disney parks, I would think you are paying close to Disney prices. So people looking for a good value technically don't have over flowing options :)

Creathir

For me it is. We all have our own prices that we'd pay. To you it's not. And I wouldn't stay at that Hampton Inn, either for that price. If I can help it.

Why do you have to focus on it being me "complaining"?

I guess in my mind $100-$130 is the "going rate" for hotels these days...

Sure I'd love to pay less, but I don't see Pop's prices as being outside the standard room rate of comproable properties in the area, at least not at $130ish.

$200-300, yes, that is way too much for what you're getting.

But $120-$130, not in my mind.

Kman101

I guess in my mind $100-$130 is the "going rate" for hotels these days...

Sure I'd love to pay less, but I don't see Pop's prices as being outside the standard room rate of comproable properties in the area, at least not at $130ish.

$200-300, yes, that is way too much for what you're getting.

But $120-$130, not in my mind.

I mean, to answer you $129 isn't necessarily unreasonable, no. But for several nights and with taxes and fees, it adds up quick.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I realize this is going slightly off topic but once you add in rental car and parking at the Disney parks, I would think you are paying close to Disney prices. So people looking for a good value technically don't have over flowing options :)
My parents have annual passes, so no parking issue. And my parents have a car (they live in South Florida), so no car expense. But even if those weren't the case, I was looking at $125/night vs. $400 for two rooms at a mod. Renting a car for $40/day and paying $20/day parking still leaves me with big savings in $.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Will it be referred to as a separate entity entirely, Such as "Disney's Something Vaguely Island-ish Resort"? Or part of CBR, such as "Something Vaguely Island-ish at Disney's CBR"?

Likely. Instead of Caribbean *Beach*, I'd guess something like Caribbean Tower, or, French Caribbean, or Caribbean Isle. Or, they can go the route of FW and give their DVC a 'brand name' like Cayman Shoals or Port San Angel.

draybook

We've stayed there twice during cheer trips. Great pricing for nice room and a 5 minute walk to Disney Springs.

Kman101

I would never rent a car if I was staying off property. Uber all the way. No parking fees either.

I live close enough to drive for the day but I've started making it into little trips so I have my own car which is nice but not everyone will of course. The Disney Springs hotels all offer shuttles and it's super close to the Springs. I have an AP so no parking fee at the parks but the hotel now charges for parking but it's not awful. But I avoid renting cars when I travel too if I can. I've yet to use Uber lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom