First time visit to sea world

matt9112

Original Poster
So far I have been largely impressed as I'm used to universal and Disney but sea world isn't a disappointment. Sure it's different but just as enjoyable. Atlantis (I know it's old) was a surprise charmer...although it lacked any story telling after the first room it's ok I understand when it was built in sea world's past. The last coaster section was swell.

The ground and overall areas remind me of epcot or port of entry the most and that's a good thing. Antarctica was a let down but still a cool track less ride. (Caugh) Disney (caugh) and than I rode mako and I realized why I just purchased annual passes (beyond the free aquatica offer)

To the little park in Orlando kudos.

21stamps

I never want SeaWorld to become anything like Disney or Universal.
They shouldn't even be comparable.

Unfortunately, the SeaWorld that I love is becoming unrecognizable.

kap91

The thing with Atlantis is it actually was pretty good when it opened - with a lot of story. It just was recently all stripped out after years of none of the effects working. There was just a multi page article written about it on Theme Park Review or University I think.

matt9112

Original Poster
The thing with Atlantis is it actually was pretty good when it opened - with a lot of story. It just was recently all stripped out after years of none of the effects working. There was just a multi page article written about it on Theme Park Review or University I think.

Really? I had no idea....

matt9112

Original Poster

Profit margins probably play a role here.

Side note although it's nothing special was cool they had a passholder lounge area.

No Name

Glad you are enjoying your trip!

Yup geezer, the park is changing. It has to. Just look at how ticket sales at circuses have been in decline over the last few years. Regardless of your personal opinion on animal cruelty, it's clearly not a sustainable business model going forward.

Would you rather SeaWorld become unrecognizable, or completely go out of business?

I'm glad to see them adding more rides, so that someday, they can get rid of the live shows and stay in business.

matt9112

Original Poster

Yup geezer, the park is changing. It has to. Just look at how ticket sales at circuses have been in decline over the last few years. Regardless of your personal opinion on animal cruelty, it's clearly not a sustainable business model going forward.

Would you rather SeaWorld become unrecognizable, or completely go out of business?

I'm glad to see them adding more rides, so that someday, they can get rid of the live shows and stay in business.

They need to really become a Busch gardens type park with sealife vs regular land animals. I think there's a market here for giant coasters right next to Disney.

They also need to raise prices a hair and build a hotel.

919Florida

Finally I find a person like me. I totally agree with this statement. The SeaWorld I know and love is gone. The SeaWorld I defended for years its not the same anymore. I hate what its become and more than likely I wont be a pass member anymore shortly. I cant keep supporting a place I don't agree with

Daveeeeed

Finally I find a person like me. I totally agree with this statement. The SeaWorld I know and love is gone. The SeaWorld I defended for years its not the same anymore. I hate what its become and more than likely I wont be a pass member anymore shortly. I cant keep supporting a place I don't agree with
Joel Manby is an excellent person and his leadership has guided the company in the direction that needs to be taken. He's even had to sacrifice tremendously with his personal time and with his family as it is a job that requires an unimaginable amount of work.

What don't you you agree with? The steps they've taken to ensure that SeaWorld has a future were all necessary.

Potter almost killed SeaWorld (more than Blackfish!) so the prices currently are difficult to even sell.
Of course, it is an inferior product next to Universal, and likewise needs to charge less but nevertheless it is still a wonderful theme park.

21stamps

Your comment is the perfect example of why they are changing, and why they are becoming unrecognizable.

Because people, like yourself, sit behind a keyboard and call other people names and make claims of animal cruelty..

While other people are-
Being inspired to become a marine biologist..
Inspired to learn more about marine life...
Inspired to volunteer at a rescue facility..
Inspired to take up diving...
And so on...

It is unfortunate that such a loud portion of society has caused SeaWorld to make changes. Mako looks awesome, but it isn't going to inspire any of the above. I hope SeaWorld never looses that side of their park. They shouldn't completely loose their identity because of a loud ridiculous hashtag warrior crusade, comprised mostly of "warriors" who jumped on a bandwagon without even realizing the how & why...but hey, it's the trendy way to be.

It is extremely unfortunate that said hashtag warriors, who have no idea what SeaWorld actually does.. would rather see a park full of rollercoasters than an actual learning experience, and want the conservation efforts to go away. Brilliant.
Keep fighting the good fight.

I have hope that SeaWorld will find a way to incorporate both- but still have marine life as their main focus- in the form of live marine life, not a steel track named after one.

I'd hate to see them go out of business. I'd love to see people like you, and other Passholders who feel the same, continue going there. Continue speaking up.. send emails, maybe they will find a balance in their new redirection. I'm still holding out hope!

People talk about a dumbed down society, What happened with SeaWorld is the perfect example of the danger of that portion of society.

Last edited:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Profit margins probably play a role here.

Side note although it's nothing special was cool they had a passholder lounge area.

It's a very nicely set up pass holder area as well. Plenty of room to sit, an area to order food, and "free" drinks. The rest of the park is great for spending an afternoon just enjoying life.

21stamps

Joel Manby is an excellent person and his leadership has guided the company in the direction that needs to be taken. He's even had to sacrifice tremendously with his personal time and with his family as it is a job that requires an unimaginable amount of work.

What don't you you agree with? The steps they've taken to ensure that SeaWorld has a future were all necessary.

Potter almost killed SeaWorld (more than Blackfish!) so the prices currently are difficult to even sell.
Of course, it is an inferior product next to Universal, and likewise needs to charge less but nevertheless it is still a wonderful theme park.

SeaWorld is not Universal.. and has never tried be a similar park. To say "inferior" is not quite accurate. "Different" would be the proper word there. They are very different experiences, always have been. Probably always will be, with or without the big rollercoasters.

L.C. Clench

We went last year for the first time in 20 years and loved it. Sure things have changed in terms of rides but the core still seemed to remain the same to me. We also really enjoyed Atlantis as we had no idea it was a scaled back experience and also had no idea it was a combo coaster and splash ride.

I was most amazed at how nice the landscaping was and how clean things seemed. Some of it may be due to lower crowds but they were also constantly cleaning, touching up paint and the employees greeted everyone. It really was a great experience for us and it won't be another 20 years before we go back.

Last edited:

matt78

I think that SeaWorld should do away with the Shamu show and go ahead with the Blue World Project. I would make it into a Shark Encounter type attraction complete with a restaurant. I think both be very popular with guests. If this becomes as popular as I think it will be I would then look to do the same with the dolphins. As for rides I hope they remember that not everyone is a fan of thrill rides and that they will eventually take another stab at a good dark ride or two. Also they really need to redo the Wild Arctic area. They need to redo the ride and all of the exhibits should be updated and expanded.

21stamps

I think that SeaWorld should do away with the Shamu show and go ahead with the Blue World Project. I would make it into a Shark Encounter type attraction complete with a restaurant. I think both be very popular with guests. If this becomes as popular as I think it will be I would then look to do the same with the dolphins. As for rides I hope they remember that not everyone is a fan of thrill rides and that they will eventually take another stab at a good dark ride or two. Also they really need to redo the Wild Arctic area. They need to redo the ride and all of the exhibits should be updated and expanded.
Re: the thrill rides-
SeaWorld has always been such a family friendly all ages park. I completely agree with you on the thrill ride subject- and I love thrill rides! Hopefully they do add some less restrictive dark rides.

UpAllNight

^ Well I love Seaworld and defended them during the onslaught but I do feel you're being a tad dramatic. I think it will still have the fundemental animal education aspect, just backed by more rides to act as pull so they can compete. Like when Mako opened, they opened up some more shark exhibits (and a cool touch pool). They could have possibly went further, but I do think the park will always have that educational/inspirational aspect. I still get that vibe anyway.

Seaworld is awesome, I can't wait to get back :)

21stamps

^ Well I love Seaworld and defended them during the onslaught but I do feel you're being a tad dramatic. I think it will still have the fundemental animal education aspect, just backed by more rides to act as pull so they can compete. Like when Mako opened, they opened up some more shark exhibits (and a cool touch pool). They could have possibly went further, but I do think the park will always have that educational/inspirational aspect. I still get that vibe anyway.

Seaworld is awesome, I can't wait to get back :)

I do get a bit dramatic when people talk about SeaWorld getting rid of live shows due to animal cruelty. Totally guilty as charged.. it drives me absolutely bonkers.

If the same people have ever paid attention to marine life and rescue/rehabilitations in the past.. then they wouldn't say such things.
But, they watched a very one sided documentary.. so now they're suddenly informed.
SeaWorld has been doing rescues and rehabilitations long before Blackfish was released.

UpAllNight

I do get a bit dramatic when people talk about SeaWorld getting rid of live shows due to animal cruelty. Totally guilty as charged.. it drives me absolutely bonkers.

If the same people have ever paid attention to marine life and rescue/rehabilitations in the past.. then they wouldn't say such things.
But, they watched a very one sided documentary.. so now they're suddenly informed.
SeaWorld has been doing rescues and rehabilitations long before Blackfish was released.

We understand this...but people in general just follow the trend. They read an article, or watch a documentary and think they're informed. Post Blackfish there's been a realisation of how stupid people are, when "fake news" hit the headlines and made people question things a bit more.

I understand why their U-turn on shows hurts...it feels like a defeat when you've defended them. But don't let that make a place you love feel irrelevant to you. It's still Seaworld, it's just had to change, due to pressure from people, who as I said, watched a documentary and became experts. I personally think, when the market is ready, that we may see another u-turn down the line, as the demand for research and conservation grows when it dawns on the population how much damage the world is doing to such species...I think Seaworld will become a celebrated place for such research to continue (without the show aspect) down the line. But they need to survive this period in their history first.

Last edited:

21stamps

We understand this...but people in general just follow the trend. They read an article, or watch a documentary and think they're informed. Post Blackfish there's been a realisation of how stupid people are, when "fake news" hit the headlines and made people question things a bit more.

I understand why their U-turn on shows hurts...it feels like a defeat when you've defended them. But don't let that make a place you love feel irrelevant to you. It's still Seaworld, it's just had to change, due to pressure from people, who as I said, watched a documentary and became experts. I personally think, when the market is ready, that we may see another u-turn down the line, as the demand for research and conservation grows when it dawns on the population how much damage the world is doing to such species...I think Seaworld will become a celebrated place for such research to continue (without the show aspect) down the line. But they need to survive this period in their history first.

I hope you're right.

Please don't mistake my posts for a personal boycott of the changing SeaWorld, they're not. I will support them..as long as marine life stays a large focus in what they do. SeaWorld had a major impact on my life. I attribute my love of diving and marine life to an interest sparked as a young girl visiting SeaWorld annually. I was absolutely intrigued by what I saw there. I want that impact to exist for current generations, and future ones.

I'm counting on humans to be more intelligent than what we've seen the past few years. Or at least- counting on the informed humans to be louder than the internet warriors.

I haven't given up on SeaWorld, or Americans, just yet.

No Name

Your comment is the perfect example of why they are changing, and why they are becoming unrecognizable.

Because people, like yourself, sit behind a keyboard and call other people names and make claims of animal cruelty..

While other people are-
Being inspired to become a marine biologist..
Inspired to learn more about marine life...
Inspired to volunteer at a rescue facility..
Inspired to take up diving...
And so on...

It is unfortunate that such a loud portion of society has caused SeaWorld to make changes. Mako looks awesome, but it isn't going to inspire any of the above. I hope SeaWorld never looses that side of their park. They shouldn't completely loose their identity because of a loud ridiculous hashtag warrior crusade, comprised mostly of "warriors" who jumped on a bandwagon without even realizing the how & why...but hey, it's the trendy way to be.

It is extremely unfortunate that said hashtag warriors, who have no idea what SeaWorld actually does.. would rather see a park full of rollercoasters than an actual learning experience, and want the conservation efforts to go away. Brilliant.
Keep fighting the good fight.

I have hope that SeaWorld will find a way to incorporate both- but still have marine life as their main focus- in the form of live marine life, not a steel track named after one.

I'd hate to see them go out of business. I'd love to see people like you, and other Passholders who feel the same, continue going there. Continue speaking up.. send emails, maybe they will find a balance in their new redirection. I'm still holding out hope!

People talk about a dumbed down society, What happened with SeaWorld is the perfect example of the danger of that portion of society.

I think you're heavily misunderstanding. I never said I wanted the conservation efforts to go away. In fact, that is exactly the reason I don't want SeaWorld to go out of business! They do great work for marine life, and if SeaWorld closes their gates, they won't have the funds to rescue any more animals. Unlike many others, I DO NOT root against SeaWorld. I root FOR SeaWorld. I root for them to adapt to the times and stay relevant, so that children of the future don't turn their noses at the place, but instead, love it like you and I do.

My whole point is that if the park doesn't change (or give the impression of change, which seems to be the short-term strategy) business will continue to suffer.

Would you rather see the place you love suffer in attendance and carry a bad stigma, or would you rather see a changed version of it thrive and be universally loved?

I love the live shows, I really do. The One Ocean beat is stuck in my head. Dun.... Dun dun. Dun.... Dun dun dun dun dun. But they have to move away from the circus-esque shows if they want to stay relevant and stay ahead of the curve, especially long-term. Well, long-term, they will have to move away from the shows entirely.

And I don't support bare-steel coasters. But how about rides like Antartica that explore the lives of penguins (disregarding the ride's shortcomings)? How about Wild Arctic, how about Turtle Trek? All great attractions that don't have animals performing to human commands.

I hope that is the direction SeaWorld goes, still maintaining the education values. I too hope that it doesn't become like Six Flags.

Sorry, I know that was a mouthful, but hopefully I explained myself better.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom