Expedition Everest effects status watch

Doug Means

There are large service doors on the backside of the mountain structure that are almost as big as the yeti itself. There are things inside the structure that are larger than the yeti that also may have to be removed at some point. The yeti, being a machine and not a real creature, can be disassembled, hoisted down the lift that was built next to it specifically for the purpose of servicing it, and removed.

Think about it for a second. This is like saying there was no way to get King Kong out of the old Kongfrontation ride without ripping the building open, but obviously there was a way because they didn't, and machines can be disassembled.

This is EXACTLY the same misinformation this thread keeps perpetuating. I literally just mentioned this exact false rumor on the previous page. Every few pages someone pops in without reading any previous posts and states the same misinformation, followed by several posts correcting them, then repeat a few pages later. The thread goes in circles forever, perpetuating false rumors and fanboy bitterness.

Unsticky this freaking thread already to stop enabling misinformation.
this is why this thread is so Kool.

Incomudro

I will sum up what appears to be wrong based on reports by @Lee , @marni1971 and from a lunch with an imagineer report by @RedDad ...guys feel free to correct me if I slip up.

The problem was an improperly designed shoulder joint on the Yeti that was discovered in the 11th hour. The engineers decided that in increased maintenance schedule would correct the problem. Either the increased maintenance was not done of that did not fix the issue...the story seems to differ deepening on if WDI or operations is telling it.

This is where the fixed stalled. Who gets the bill...WDI or Operations.

It is also been reported that changes in regulations regarding moving items over guests heads has changed since the problem occurred making replacing the yeti and returning it to full operation no longer legal.

That's what I was talking about!
Thanks for doing the work!
Perhaps the Yeti needs a new arm that's not swinging over the riders.

Last edited:

Ralphlaw

I heard it was undue vibration setting off sensors. I also heard about a dozen other things. The theories are listed below, and, quite honestly, all of us are hearing different things based on rumor and hearsay. We have all heard contradictory theories and none of us are probably in the know enough to adequately firm up which one(s) is/are true:

1. Arm has a faulty joint.
2. An overhead arm no longer "legal".
3. Foundation too weak.
4. Platform not right.
5. Sensors too sensitive (which an imaginer told my wife and son).
6. A major fix is too expensive and disruptive.
7. No one wants to pay for whatever fix is needed (i.e., departmental squabbles)
8. A minor fix is doable, but imagineers are holding out for a major refurb, thus postponing whatever fix could be done right now.
9. Yeti has grown arthritic.
10. Edmund Hilary estate litigation has the whole thing wrapped up in court.
11. No deodorant strong enough to quell the yeti underarm BO.
12. It's Trump's fault.
13. It's Congress's fault.
14. A better band aid is doable, but a better band aid might squelch the perceived need for a major refurb. Thus, Disco Yeti for 10 years.
15. Iger is evil, and enjoys mediocrity.
16. Shanghai Disney depleted the AK's maintenance budget.
17. Most visitors don't care.
18. John Travolta bribing the bigwigs to keep Disco Yeti.
19. A shutdown of any kind, even a short one, would essentially make AK irrelevant.
20. It'll all get attention once Pandora opens.
21. Animal Rights activists shut it down.
22. Bill Belichek and Tom Brady over-inflated the hydraulics.

Yup, that probably sums it up. And like most unanswered questions, the real story will be told someday.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
12. It's Trump's fault.
59947458.jpg

The Empress Lilly

This is where logic breaks down, Marni. If it was easy, they would have done it already. I just can't believe that they don't care about the ongoing negative publicity that this situation generates. I have no answers, just common sense.
For twenty years the steamboat in my avatar lacked the two most essential identifying elements of a paddle steamer: a paddle and smokestacks for steam.

For twenty years, two companies, one a 70 billion dollar multinational, the other a 700 million dollar restaurant operator, looked at each other with stupid looks on their face insisting the other pay the handful of pennies it costs to make this steamboat restaurant - one of the top ten highest revenue restaurants in the US - look like a steamboat. A few days of revenue would've sufficed.

I won't put anything beyond Disney. If fixing the Yeti costed five dollars and took twenty minutes that could still be a reason for Disney not to fix it. Never mind if two competing departments want the other to foot the $5 bill. Disney is that mean, sorry and driven by extreme business mentality.

Tom Morrow

^ and that further demonstrates my frustration with this thread and the misinformation it perpetuates. If the purpose of leaving this stickied for a decade is to "stick it" to Disney, then said misinformation, that the attraction would have to be partially dismantled and the mountain structure literally cut open to remove the yeti, only ends up working in Disney's favor. It implies that absolutely nothing could be done without a massive undertaking, and that is absolutely false.

Ralphlaw

For twenty years the steamboat in my avatar lacked the two most essential identifying elements of a paddle steamer: a paddle and smokestacks for steam.

For twenty years, two companies, one a 70 billion dollar multinational, the other a 700 million dollar restaurant operator, looked at each other with stupid looks on their face insisting the other pay the handful of pennies it costs to make this steamboat restaurant - one of the top ten highest revenue restaurants in the US - look like a steamboat. A few days of revenue would've sufficed.

I won't put anything beyond Disney. If fixing the Yeti costed five dollars and took twenty minutes that could still be a reason for Disney not to fix it. Never mind if two competing departments want the other to foot the $5 bill. Disney is that mean, sorry and driven by extreme business mentality.

Now I'm curious. Was that the restaurant at Downtown Disney? I agree that such a standoff appears idiotic, akin to the south-going Zax and the north-going Zax from Dr. Seuss. More detail, please. Corporate idiocy is a passion of mine. My favorite is the tragic tale of corn brewed Schlitz from the early 80s. New Coke ranks right up there as well.

The Empress Lilly

Now I'm curious. Was that the restaurant at Downtown Disney? I agree that such a standoff appears idiotic, akin to the south-going Zax and the north-going Zax from Dr. Seuss. More detail, please. Corporate idiocy is a passion of mine. My favorite is the tragic tale of corn brewed Schlitz from the early 80s. New Coke ranks right up there as well.
Yes, I am taking about Fulton's Crap House.

From 1977 until 1996 Lillian Disney's boat had several restaurants ran by Disney itself.

(Can't resist the temptation! This is what fine dining at WDW used to look like. All for a fraction of the cost of what you pay nowadays. Back when the magic of Disney dining was defined as placemaking, pristine environments, and fun recreations of nostalgic times and places. Instead of involving screaming kids, 6000 calorie desserts and tarted up college kids playing dress up in Belle and Cindy costume for photo ops with rich trash' snowflakes. Style and elegance, where one wouldn't want to be caught dead without tie:

ecb77f90.jpg

wdwvemplilly2.jpg

)​

Then in 1996 Levy Restaurants took over the exploitation of the Empress. For twenty years, from 1996 to 2016. The name changed to Fulton. For the change of theme and interior into 'standard mediocre seafood joint that however will be able to seat more guests' the ship went into refurbishment, and was stripped, the stacks and paddlewheel removed for replacement. Then both Levy and Disney, from what I've gathered, both expected the other party to pay for the upkeep of the exterior of the boat. Disney claimed the stacks and wheel etc belonged to the responsibility of the boat's exploiter, while Levy claimed it belonged to Disney to take care of the themed environment whereas they Levy merely exploit the restaurant and everything related to that.

The two massive behemoths never did manage to just sit down and work it out as adults. Or even as two corporations with mutual interests. Instead they left this embarrassment out in the open for two decades. Neither the seafood restaurant exploiter nor the world's biggest themed environment exploiter thinking anything of a 220 foot paddle steamer looking nothing like that. Both simply walked out of the refurbishment midway.

And why not? The punters keep coming, in record numbers, and they keep paying, record price increases. There is no incentive. Not even one of pride, or dignity - both deemed less worthy than even a few pennies pocket change; in Disney's defense, this is universal to modern American management.

Last edited:

Ralphlaw

Thanks for the history lesson. Sounds like some very shoddy lease-writing from the legal department(s).

It's all a symptom of too many people willing to spend far more money than they would at home for the same stuff, yet I am as guilty as they are. When on vacation, budgeting doesn't happen. The causes of the huge influx: cheap flights, better wages for those with good jobs, the lowering of proper dress standards, etc . . .

I happen to see quite a few weddings a our local courthouse, and you would be appalled by what people wear. Sweatpants and shirts with team logos and other writings on them are not uncommon. No wonder the marriages don't last if you can't even put on some decent dress up clothes for the biggest day of your life. We are a society with lower standards but enhanced accessibility. Thus shoddy people show up in droves to max out their credit cards for a restaurant that has incomplete theming.

Last edited:

Incomudro

I guess it's a product of the times. People just aren't fancy anymore like how people seemed to be in the 70's. But i think i would take a Pink Floyd shirt and some jeans over an over priced suit to just wear to eat at a restaurant in Disney.
I'm with you there.
Walking around Disney, it's often hot, often humid, and you may get rained on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom