WDW Regular Visiting DLR

jeffk410

Original Poster
Of course!

I ask because we don't have as many table service options here like the plentiful at WDW. In saying that, some of our quick service joints offer quality meals and not the typical burgers, fries, pizza, and chicken strips one usually finds at theme parks. My favorite quick service spots that offer nice food options are:

-Plaza Inn (Disneyland Park)
-French Market (Disneyland Park)
-River Belle Terrace (Disneyland Park)
-Rancho Del Zocalo (Disneyland Park)
-Flo's V8 Cafe (California Adventure)

My favorite table service options:

-Cafe Orleans (Disneyland Park)
-Carnation Cafe (Disneyland Park)
-Tortilla Jo's (Downtown Disney)

Perfect - thanks. How far out do you have to book these? I know for WDW popular spots, it's pretty far out.

BubbaQuest

I luckily have the flexibility of flying out of SFO or Oakland...

Just a heads up if you're new to the area....SFO often has flight delays due to fog so Oakland is usually the preferred airport if it is convenient for you.

Have a great trip. Also, as Raven mentioned, don't sweat the dinner reservations. It's often possible to get reservations the same day throughout the resort. You shouldn't have any problem reserving something a week or so before your trip. Also keep in mind some of the restaurants offer dining packages that include reservations for some of the nighttime shows. Carthay Circle with World of Color and Blue Bayou with Electrical Street Parade, for example. Since it's still unknown about the return date of Fantasmic, you might want to check the Disney website later in the summer to see what packages are available before deciding on a restaurant if you also want to see some of the nighttime shows.

thomas998

I wouldn't avoid LAX because it isn't as bad as people say it is. I've had the misfortune of having to fly all over the place for business and LAX is far from the worst place to fly into. Honestly the LA traffic isn't as bad as people seem to say either, although that from someone that's experienced lots of traffic in Houston and Dallas which to me is worse than LA... That said just pick the airport that costs you the least amount because really the airport is a minor part of your trip so just try and make it the cheapest as well.

Now the one thing you will need to get used to at DL is the amount of ride refurbs that happen off-peak times of the year. Worst still they don't tend to give you nearly as much advance notice that a ride will be down as they do at WDW. So don't get your hopes up for any particular ride because you might find it down when you go if your traveling in the fall.

If you are into Halloween then try to snag some Mickey's Halloween party tickets and do late October. But if that is your plan watch for when the tickets go on sale and get them quickly, the party often sells out for the later days in October pretty much guaranteed that it will be sold out for Halloween very quickly as scalpers tend to buy up tickets for that day because the will sell for 2 or 3 times their face value later on.

Paradise Pier is pointless, too far away from the parks to be worth it in my opinion... you might as well stay at the Howard Johnson on Harbor Blvd because it is close, and much cheaper.

Grand California is fine if you want more of a spa feeling than a Disney feeling... If you want more Disney do the Disneyland Resort, yes its further from the parks but not very far from the Monorail stop at Downtown Disney that will take you right into the park which is nice... Also if you want to do rope drop arrivals we've found that standing in the line at the monorail stop is usually quicker than doing the main park entrance.

Blue Bayou is the place in Disneyland itself for decent food and atmosphere... Not a fan of any of the places in Downtown Disney they just never seem that special. For California Adventure you probably would enjoy Carthay Circle, the only other good place for table service in that park is probably Ariel's Grotto (only problem is it is a character place if that's not something you are willing to endure).... Probably the biggest difference you'll notice going to DL over WDW is that WDW seems to cater more to foodies than DL does, lots more options in WDW than at DL.

Oh and avoid any of the desert packages at DL they aren't worth it since they decided to go cheap and took away actual seats for things like Fantasmic... not worth what they charge for them anymore.

Porkins

Just curious, why not just drive down to DL? I too am from Northern CA and I drive down all the time and it only takes 6-7hrs.

NobodyElse

Oh, geez. Thank you. I actually wanted to use the acronym I enjoy using for that airport, LGBT, the T standing for terminal of course. But then I thought I might be pushing it. :D

I know - It's hard to not think if their code in that way.
On a related note, the Fresno Yosemite International Airport was for many years known as Fresno Air Terminal. There's nothing like collecting your luggage labeled as "FAT". :)

jocarol

Oh and avoid any of the desert packages at DL they aren't worth it since they decided to go cheap and took away actual seats for things like Fantasmic... not worth what they charge for them anymore.

The World of Color dessert party (the only dessert party currently running) does include seats.

thomas998

The World of Color dessert party (the only dessert party currently running) does include seats.
That's true... though all the dessert and dining options in Disneyland exclusive of California Adventure are cheapened now with the special viewing areas and no reserved seats.... As for the World of Color I wouldn't recommend it as you can get better viewing in parts of the fastpass sections so long as you know where to locate yourself and it doesn't cost you extra the trick is to simply be there early when they start queuing up for entry. If you do the dessert package you can still end up with seats that aren't as good as many of the regular fastpass location.

disneygeek90

When I was there in March, WoC was only playing Monday-Thursday, and I was unfortunately there fri-sun. I'll be back in November, is this the usual for the show or was March just a fluke?

jocarol

If you do the dessert package you can still end up with seats that aren't as good as many of the regular fastpass location.

Are you talking about the dessert party or the dining packages? For the dessert party you have seats, at tables, with a great view. The dining package gets you into a reserved area with no seats that may or may not be better than what you get with a fastpass.

thomas998

Are you talking about the dessert party or the dining packages? For the dessert party you have seats, at tables, with a great view. The dining package gets you into a reserved area with no seats that may or may not be better than what you get with a fastpass.
both... You aren't guaranteed a great seat with the dessert package, only that you will have a seat. We did it once and found that out view was much worse than it had been when we've done fastpass. The only package where we really could count on good seats was Fantasmic, but that was before they took away the actual seats for it. I admit some people with the World of Color do get great seats, but I would say maybe 15 to 20% aren't better than you would get with fastpass... To me those odds aren't good enough give the price of it.

jeffk410

Original Poster
Update and new questions:

- We were able to use points to book Grand Californian but it is via the hotel not the villas. Is there a downside to this (besides more points)?

- We will be going September 20th - will Halloween stuff be out? Are there any nice aspects of this timeframe besides low crowds?

GiveMeTheMusic

Update and new questions:

- We were able to use points to book Grand Californian but it is via the hotel not the villas. Is there a downside to this (besides more points)?

- We will be going September 20th - will Halloween stuff be out? Are there any nice aspects of this timeframe besides low crowds?

No downside to staying in the hotel portion. They're seamless buildings and the rooms are similar.

Halloween will be in full force, and crowds will not be low. Expect moderate to high crowds. Haunted Mansion Holiday will be running as well, and look out for Mickey's Halloween Party dates if that interests you.

disneygeek90

No downside to staying in the hotel portion. They're seamless buildings and the rooms are similar.

Halloween will be in full force, and crowds will not be low. Expect moderate to high crowds. Haunted Mansion Holiday will be running as well, and look out for Mickey's Halloween Party dates if that interests you.
Side-note, do you know how long the Halloween/fall decorations usually last until? I know HM overlay lasts through Christmas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom