Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I've always wanted to finish the marathon with a beer in my hand but by mile 24 I just want to go back to bed. :)

I'm hoping at the W&D Half this year they have a table of champagne, along with water and Powerade, at the finish line. Or better yet, hand you a glass as you cross. Wouldn't that be a nice photo!

I heard rumor they did that when the race was at night - another good reason to switch it back. ;)

LAKid53

Premium Member
Title for one of the posts on the runDisney blog - "How does runDisney Create Course Magic?" By making us run past the waste treatment plant.... :happy:

Texas84

I'm hoping at the W&D Half this year they have a table of champagne, along with water and Powerade, at the finish line. Or better yet, hand you a glass as you cross. Wouldn't that be a nice photo!

I heard rumor they did that when the race was at night - another good reason to switch it back. ;)

I missed the first W&D so maybe that one. They also had samples from F&W on the course for that one. But all the others, no bubbly. The night races had a voucher on your bib for a Bud or Bud Light or soft drink. I passed and went right to the booths.

LizaMarie89

Can someone who is better at reading maps than I am tell me what ours says for total gain? Or estimate it for me? I'm trying to see how my training runs compare since I don't know the course.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Only a few more days! Everybody ready?

Just printed out my race bibs and noticed the Half is still open....

It will be hot this weekend - temperatures expected to be in the low 90s. Unusual for April. So stay hydrated, my friends.

psherman42

I haven't trained for this race nearly as much as the others so between that and the heat, this weekend is going to be a slow one for me. Hopefully there are some good characters along the course!

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:

Chet Dakota

Only a few more days! Everybody ready?

It will be hot this weekend - temperatures expected to be in the low 90s. Unusual for April. So stay hydrated, my friends.

Last year, Saturday for the 10k was pretty humid, but Sunday was almost perfect weather and not as humid. Hopefully, we get that sort of break again.

dreamfinder

And interestingly enough, the verbage says corral placement will be at the discretion of runDisney. Not a straight out "You will be in the last corral" but a "We will put you where we feel like it". Almost sounds like there is the chance someone who registers now MIGHT end up in a properly placed corral while someone who forgot to provide proof of time ends up in the back.

Chet Dakota

I assume everyone today received the Weather Alert email. I can't see them canceling or shortening the Half due to it being too hot though. Then again...

LAKid53

Premium Member
I assume everyone today received the Weather Alert email. I can't see them canceling or shortening the Half due to it being too hot though. Then again...

Only if the conditions warrant a black flag would they cancel, according to the guide. However, will runDisney be more lenient with pacing? Especially since yellow flag recommends some withdraw, red recommends slowing pace.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I wonder if someone can ask about that - slowing the pacing because of the conditions

Other than sending an email, I wouldn't know who to ask at the expo...most staffing it are volunteers - it'd be like asking a Disney bus driver... ;)

LAKid53

Premium Member
However, runner safety is more important. My concern is that the forecasted overnight lows in the upper 60s will be higher, given the forecasted 90s during the day. And with a cloudless sky, it will not be fun.

LizaMarie89

So my question is what they'd prioritize - our safety or their money. Shortening our race would save both but have a lot of unhappy people.

I wonder if even starting it 30 minutes earlier would be possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom