Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

Rich T

In my opinion, Star Tours ruined Tomorrowland more than Indy ruined Adventureland, not that I even believe Indy ruined Adventureland. I think the former is a worse offense.
Aside from losing ATI (which, admittedly, was on its last legs), I didn't mind the original Star Tours in TL. I liked the backstory of the intergalactic travel company (with a slick PR surface and a slimy cost-cutting corporate underbelly) setting up shop. And, since it was the public's first chance to ride a full-tilt military flight simulator, it also fit TL's exciting-new-tech theme. IP is another issue, but I'd rather have the (at the time) non-Disney Star Wars ride than a ride based on some awful Disney Sci-fi property like Black Hole or Tron (great concept, weak films).

Last edited:

dweezil78

Aside from losing ATI (which, admittedly, was on its last legs), I didn't mind the original Star Tours in TL. I liked the backstory of the intergalactic travel company (with a slick PR surface and a slimy cost-cutting corporate underbelly) setting up shop. And, since it was the public's first chance to ride a full-tilt military flight simulator, it also fit TL's exciting-new-tech theme. IP is another issue, but I'd rather have the (at the time) non-Disney Star Wars ride than a ride based on some awful Disney Sci-fi property like Black Hole or Tron (great concept, weak films).

The funny thing is, over in Florida we more or less got a sequel to ATIS using the same tech as Star Tours...and it was terrible! :D

Rich T

The funny thing is, over in Florida we more or less got a sequel to ATIS using the same tech as Star Tours...and it was terrible! :D
My family and I rode Body Wars in '93 (so far my only trip to WDW, and it was a GREAT year to be there! :D) We all got motion-sick, which never happens to us on Star Tours. That was a one-and-done for us. On the other hand, Cranium Command turned out to be my favorite thing in all of WDW, and I ended up seeing it eight times.

WEDwaydatamover

Sorry if this has been DISGUST already but will Star Tours still exist in Tomorrowland once the SWL opens?

I don't know if I'm less excited about Pandora or Star Wars. They both register as a zero to me. I was honestly more excited about the Carousel of Progress at WDW getting a new paint job last summer than either of these projects.

My 2 cents.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster

As a kid I enjoyed the original Star Tours (I can't stand the newer version), but I'd like to see an attraction much closer to Tomorrowland's concept.

October82

Frankly, SWL looks and sounds amazing. BUT- it and Marvel should have anchored a third Anaheim park.

What's the thematic connection between Marvel and SWL? Would Anaheim's third gate have been "Movie land" in this scenario?

I don't have a problem with SWL and Marvel in DL/DCA as long as they are well executed and respect the history - especially when it comes to DL. After the SWL and Marvel expansion areas are developed, Anaheim really only has one shot - the third gate site - at major expansion. That site needs to be developed in a way that allows for very long term growth, and I'm not sure what amounts to a studios park is the best option.

drizgirl

What's the thematic connection between Marvel and SWL? Would Anaheim's third gate have been "Movie land" in this scenario?

I don't have a problem with SWL and Marvel in DL/DCA as long as they are well executed and respect the history - especially when it comes to DL. After the SWL and Marvel expansion areas are developed, Anaheim really only has one shot - the third gate site - at major expansion. That site needs to be developed in a way that allows for very long term growth, and I'm not sure what amounts to a studios park is the best option.

They might not have a thematic connection but I think they would appeal to a similar audience.

Mike S

I once put out the idea of having the park be based on the universe with different interstellar destinations. Star Wars, Asgard, Pandora, etc.

Asgard is the central land and travel between lands is done by Bifrost themed tunnels.

Curious Constance

It could be called Curious Constance World since it would house all my favorite things.

Although, I hope if they do ever build a third gate, it's more of a series of different themes like DL and DCA are rather than one or two movie lands. Seems like if you have an entire park based on Star Wars and Marvel , how do you appeal to the people who don't give two figs about either of them???

mickEblu

So here's a quick list of things off the top of my head that I think would make a great third gate. It's a Combo of what I want to see and what I think Disney would actually do. Let's get the obvious ones out of the way first.

1. More Star Wars (basically the third gates version of Frontierland)
2. More Marvel. (Third gates version of TL)
3. West coast version of the World Showcase using some of he more popular countries from WDW and some new ones. I would like to see a Mary Poppins ride in London. BATB in France. Most of the showcase would be IP free.
4. A dark enchanted forest that would House some villains rides.
5. Adventureland The remix.( Maybe more of a Polynesian feel ?) - so many possibilities for Adventureland and no room at DL - this could be anchored by a suspended Aladdin E ticket. (Or Aladdin could go in one of the world showcase countries) Or the third gates take on Adventureland could be Pandora.
6. Give me Tron somewhere.

Honorable mentions:

Incredibles E ticket
Up D ticket
Inside Out version of ATIS
Boat ride ( something original. Non IP)
Water ride (got nothing right now)

Last edited:

Curious Constance

So here's a quick list of things off the top of my head that I think would make a great third gate. It's a Combo of what I want to see and what I think Disney would actually do. Let's get the obvious ones out of the way first.

1. More Star Wars (basically the third gates version of Frontierland)
2. More Marvel. (Third gates version of TL)
3. West coast version of the World Showcase using some of he more popular countries from WDW and some new ones. I would like to see a Mary Poppins ride in London. BATB in France. Most of the showcase would be IP free.
4. A dark enchanted forest that would House some villains rides.
5. Adventureland The remix.( Maybe more of a Polynesian feel ?) - so many possibilities for Adventureland and no room at DL - this could be anchored by a suspended Aladdin E ticket. (Or Aladdin could go in one of the world showcase countries) Or the third gates take on Adventureland could be Pandora.
6. Give me Tron somewhere.
Aladdin E ticket, called it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom