Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Well, that settles everything then. Well, not really, but it's no less pithy than the "Disneyland is not a museum" line constantly tossed about....

So you're in favor of a mechanical Guggenheim ? Lets remove all additions that predate Walts demise.

Bandini

To be blunt, those in charge are idiots if they think we'll spend more just because we aren't waiting 85 minutes for Splash Mountain. Sorry but that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard and I believe they really do believe that theory. It makes me want to spend LESS.
I love the theming in the retail shops. The attention to detail is fantastic. I just wish there was unique merchandise that I was tempted to buy, but that's the fail.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The negative trends born at the end of Eisner's term continued - there isn't a sharp break.

And Eisner basically saved the Disney company and then proceeded to give us the Disney Decade. He deserves a lot of slack when considering his effect on WDW and Disney as a whole. What has Iger given fans of the Florida parks?
Iger didn't give much at all to WDW for his first decade, absolutely true, but it is looking very much - according to a few insiders - that the next decade could well eclipse the "Disney decade". Not defending him at all, as I certainly don't agree with everything - like a decision to close the Tiki birds - I would not like that at all. So Eisner was good his first decade, and sucked during his second - Iger sucked during his first, but is looking better for his second. We'll see what happens with EPCOT rumours and all over the next several years.

matt9112

Historical value very much matters at Disneyland. Such sentiment in the MK only creates stagnation. Mission to the Moon and the Skyway etc just are not up to current Disney standards. Nor is the Tiki room. But it works perfectly at Disneyland.

Your argument is somehow that old crap is ok at one park but not ok at another.

matt9112

But Disney wants both the current fans and the new fans. It's not like there's some invisible line somewhere for people waiting to get in. There's nothing keeping anyone from going on any given day. Only the handful of days where parks max out capacity, and that hasn't happened in some time.

A lot of us grew up watching Wide World of Disney on Sunday nights. Our brand loyalty cemented us to the parks. I'm not sure that same degree of brand loyalty is currently developing new fans. Sure, they're bringing some in with acquisitions, but I don't think it's as strong.

No they don't....blue Ocean theory.....google it. You are all so easily replaceable because #tourists

Everyone wants a WDW vacation they don't give a rat's bottom if it's lacking. It's a right of passage and the obnoxious pricing of a vacation cement perceived value. The perceived elite status.

Otterhead

In TDL they just think it's hilarious because it's a caricature of American country culture.
Absolutely; if you've ever been to places like Silver Dollar City or Pigeon Forge, you'd know that southerners love stuff that playfully mocks country culture. Heck, Hee Haw is still popular. And while Orlando is a weird little entertainment capital, most of Florida is very rural.

I think Under New Management was decent, pretty hilarious at the same time.
I'm glad it burned down. I'm just sad it took so long.

matt9112

Not to mention Universal is able to have wandering characters without mass pandemonium. It adds atmosphere and spontaneity, two things modern WDW execs seem to have contempt for.

Too many people in MK....adults would fistfight in front of there children. Sadly MK is too busy too often and that alone detracts from the atmosphere. When I go I think I leave around 2pm on a regular basis now.

I sit on a bench in adventure and and enjoy the tranquility for 15 minutes at rope drop....my favorite thing to do in park.

Kman101

I love the theming in the retail shops. The attention to detail is fantastic. I just wish there was unique merchandise that I was tempted to buy, but that's the fail.

I agree. I love the theming in most of the stores. I do try to find some unique things here and there but not very often. The Emporium seems full of, to be blunt again, junk. I like browsing in AK the most. I actually restrain myself there from buying a lot of stuff. I think they have the most unique things, if you're into animals and wood carvings, etc.

Otterhead

When I go I think I leave around 2pm on a regular basis now.
That's often the best way to do it, anyway. When I went as a kid, we'd go during summer vacation -- getting there at rope-drop, then leaving around 1 or 2 gets you out of the heat and the worst of the crowds. We'd come back in the evening when the temperatures (and crowds) were tolerable again.

For what it's worth, I saw a good number of wandering characters last time I was there, especially at Hollywood Studios. Max Goof, Frozone, and King Louie were just wandering through the main square. Plus the usual Streetmosphere, which I'm glad they've never really stopped.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom