Survivor: Game Changers - Mamanuca Islands

PUSH

I had to Google who Natalie was. "Twinnie".

I liked her a lot once her sister was gone ... which was almost immediately. :joyfull:
I think Natalie is one of the most underrated winners. She didn't go to Tribal much pre-merge, and right at the merge she lost her closest ally in Jeremy. Once that happened, she took over the game, although she made it look like Jon was running things. She successfully blindsided many people, but didn't take the heat for it. I love the move of her pretending it was an accident she vote for the wrong person in order to keep her in the power position. It was amazing she convinced the rest of her alliance that it was an accident, when in reality it was a very calculated move. And the move she made to give Jaclyn her idol and blindside Baylor was awesome. "Jack, did you vote the way I told you to vote?" The looks on Missy and Baylor's faces was awesome.

Aside from Natalie, San Juan del Sur was a pretty boring cast. Their returning seasons were better - Keith, Wentworth, and Jeremy were all more entertaining in Cambodia.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Survivor Contestant Who Outed Transgender Competitor Loses His Job
http://411mania.com/movies/survivor-contestant-who-outed-transgender-competitor-loses-his-job/

According to CTVNews, Survivor contestant Jeff Varner who outed fellow competitor Zeke Smith as transgender on Wednesday night’s episode of the show, has been fired from his real estate job. Varner was fired on Thursday from Allen Tate Realtors, because he was “in the middle of a news story that we don’t want anything to do with.” Varner made accusations of “a deception” before revealing that Smith is transgender, he apologized and was then voted out of the show. Smith explained that he didn’t mention that he was transgender because he didn’t want to be known as “the trans ‘Survivor’ player.”

No Name

A+ to Probst on how he handled tribal and kicked Varner off. A+ to the way Zeke handled it, to the reactions of the tribe, and to CBS. And to others who deserve an A+.

I also love how Zeke explained that he doesn't want to be known as "the trans player" but as Zeke. I can relate, in a different way, and I totally understand. The greatest thing is to be able to carve out his own legacy just like any other castaway.

What Varner did was beyond terrible. Look, I get that after 17 or 18 days on an island, he's not at his peak mentally (though the pizza should've helped), but that was no "heat of the moment" slip-up. Based on his testimonial right before Tribal, it's clear that he planned to expose Zeke. That's a big strike, but only strike one.

Even after he slipped up, he defended himself! He seemed to think he was still in the game. If I were in that situation (which is totally hypothetical)... I would've walked out on my own. As the whole thing unfolded, I hoped he would apologize and walk out on his own. That's the only way he could've partially saved face. But by trying to defend himself, not realizing he was done... he looked like a fool. Strike two.

His written appology was very good. But when he got fired from his job, he exclaimed that it was a knee-jerk reaction by his employer. Trying to defend himself. Strike three.

I do hope he learns from this.

PUSH

A+ to Probst on how he handled tribal and kicked Varner off. A+ to the way Zeke handled it, to the reactions of the tribe, and to CBS. And to others who deserve an A+.

I also love how Zeke explained that he doesn't want to be known as "the trans player" but as Zeke. I can relate, in a different way, and I totally understand. The greatest thing is to be able to carve out his own legacy just like any other castaway.

What Varner did was beyond terrible. Look, I get that after 17 or 18 days on an island, he's not at his peak mentally (though the pizza should've helped), but that was no "heat of the moment" slip-up. Based on his testimonial right before Tribal, it's clear that he planned to expose Zeke. That's a big strike, but only strike one.

Even after he slipped up, he defended himself! He seemed to think he was still in the game. If I were in that situation (which is totally hypothetical)... I would've walked out on my own. As the whole thing unfolded, I hoped he would apologize and walk out on his own. That's the only way he could've partially saved face. But by trying to defend himself, not realizing he was done... he looked like a fool. Strike two.

His written appology was very good. But when he got fired from his job, he exclaimed that it was a knee-jerk reaction by his employer. Trying to defend himself. Strike three.

I do hope he learns from this.
I'm torn on Varner. It was a terrible thing to do, and there was definitely malice in outing Zeke. However, either he's a very good actor, or he really is sorry for what he did. Varner is a loose cannon. I don't remember him in Australia too much, but he was wild in Cambodia. He panics in bad situations. I think he's someone who is very insecure about himself, and he projects that onto others when he's in these panic attacks. I'm not defending what he did, because it's inexcusable, but I'm trying to understand where his mind was at at the time. I also don't think drawing attention to how terrible Varner is is productive. That attention should be turned into love for Zeke and love for everyone in the LGBT community who is struggling.

Not sure if that makes sense at all; I feel like I was just rambling. I do think he regrets what he did and he is very sorry to Zeke. But I also think he's focusing too much on himself being a victim, even though in his exit interviews he says he wants it to be about Zeke and not him.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The guy exposed someone's personal secret that was shared in confidence.. a secret that stands to expose the person to significant harm.

If we drop all the PC stuff around the nature of the secret.. that's what's happened at the core here. That was the portion that was dangerous (conscious or not) and made the whole thing so volatile. I have to imagine CBS and Zeke consulted together on how they handled this in post and if they would air it. I have to imagine CBS wouldn't have FORCED this to air against Zeke's wishes.

The part where Jeff violated Zeke's trust.. which is the portion that exposes the most character issues to me. Anyone can lash out in a moment of stress, anger, etc.. but the collapse of respect for what was shared in such confidence given the scale of the topic.. that's the part that I find no excuse for.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
The guy exposed someone's personal secret that was shared in confidence.. a secret that stands to expose the person to significant harm.

If we drop all the PC stuff around the nature of the secret.. that's what's happened at the core here. That was the portion that was dangerous (conscious or not) and made the whole thing so volatile. I have to imagine CBS and Zeke consulted together on how they handled this in post and if they would air it. I have to imagine CBS wouldn't have FORCED this to air against Zeke's wishes.

The part where Jeff violated Zeke's trust.. which is the portion that exposes the most character issues to me. Anyone can lash out in a moment of stress, anger, etc.. but the collapse of respect for what was shared in such confidence given the scale of the topic.. that's the part that I find no excuse for.
I agree, but do we know that Zeke shared his secret with Varner; or did Varner figure it out on his own?

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I've only watched the show once (without additional study) and my following of the event was that zeke confided in him
I didn't get that impression, even less so since finding this online:

When did you know Zeke was transgender?
I suspected Zeke was transgender from the moment I saw him. And there were clues here and there throughout the whole thing. We didn’t know who Zeke was when he showed up. We didn’t have the luxury of watching his first season. [Editor note: Season 34 began filming before season 33 aired.] I don’t want to go into this whole this, that and the other about how I knew because I don’t think that’s respectful, not only to Zeke but to other trans people.

Full article here:
https://www.google.ca/amp/people.co...-interview-outing-zeke-smith-transgender/amp/

Also, as we all know, there was by necessity, a lot of editing at the Tribal Council. Two hours condensed to 20 minutes - yikes! That must have been a very uncomfortable two hours.

flynnibus

Premium Member
well that changes my impression of the event significantly.

Mainly because (IMO) it discredits any claims Jeff makes about relating/understanding/etc the transgender community's issues.

PUSH

Thoughts on this week's episodes:

I loved seeing Cirie. The way she worked Michaela is why I love her so much. She has such a strong social and strategic game.

Zeke got way ahead of himself, and I don't know what he had in mind past the Andrea/Cirie votes. Those are really his only/closest allies.

Surprised Debbie pulled off the Ozzy vote, but once again the extra vote is useless. This is the first time, however, the person using the extra vote (or vote steal) didn't go home that same night.

Also, I read this is the first time in 34 seasons that two African American females have made the merge.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I just got caught up.

Random scattered thoughts while I watch the ball game:

- For the first time ever, I'm throwing some props to Cirie.
- Poor, poor Ozzy. He really deserves better than to be felled by the likes of Debbie.
- Do not like Sierra. You're not even a Deputy, let alone a Sheriff. Shaking my head.
- Zeke is playing too hard, too early. Again
- Tai is delightfully kooky, but what is it with this show and naked gay guys?! :hilarious::hilarious:

I wish every third or fourth season could be all returning players. Newbies really stink compared to the vets.

GenerationX

Ozzy talking (again!) about providing fish to stay in the game. Just a complete dolt.

I was very impressed with Cirie and Debbie for engineering the two boots. I expected to see Cirie pull off a move like the switch to Hali, but I wasn't expecting to see Debbie rally the troops to dump Ozzy. And her fake drunk bit was interesting, too. She's still a nutjob, but she's at least aware of it now. If she somehow wins (unlikely), she owes Cochran big time.

None of them took Hali up on her offer to strip? You can bet the producers were not happy about that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom