Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Michael realized the mistake with Imagination 2.0 during previews in quite obscene terms as I know one of the people who rode through it with him when he screamed at them asking "What did you do with my (blanking) $53 million?!?!".
Absolutely.

I knew a CM who worked the ride for him on that day. His face was like thunder.

Ironically the ride - with a brand new RCS - refused to operate until minutes before he arrived.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Tiki Room has had its day, lets move on. Pneumatically actuated animatronics that clack louder than the soundtrack are not current technology, they should be relegated to the same history bin as the Mechanical Turk and Bird box.. a marvel in their time and ingenious, but antiquated.

Bandini

This is some of the biggest news you've dropped. Perhaps even more than just one attraction leaving, which I'm upset about, this has the potential to create massive change.

There aren't any glaringly obvious pathways to widen, so whatever they do will be destructive. This could be the most horrible period in Magic Kingdom's history.

The entirety of Adventureland is at risk. Swiss Family Treehouse is a nice contender. They could widen the Frontierland to Adventureland connectors. Would they remove Flying Carpets, or is that too obvious? Widen the path over by Golden Oak Outpost. Frontierland/Liberty Square paths could be widened by eating into the riverfront.

The best part of the park is going to come under unprecedented attack...
This makes me think the ROA will be drained and filled with cement. I wonder if the same fate is planned for the JC.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Tiki Room has had its day, lets move on. Pneumatically actuated animatronics that clack louder than the soundtrack are not current technology, they should be relegated to the same history bin as the Mechanical Turk and Bird box.. a marvel in their time and ingenious, but antiquated.
Yes, the parks must always kowtow to the current and innovative. Must never admit to there being a history in the parks....

Bacon

Yes. I do like to provoke thought, discussion and debate. Guilty as charged.

But, no, just like when others take a shot, my info always -- ALWAYS -- has more than a grain of truth to it. I do have better things to do than stir things up that aren't true. And while I take shots at fans frequently (most deserved), people would have long ago tossed me to the trash pile if I simply pulled stuff out of my behind. The folks here are, largely, not stupid. Sorry!
Why are you so negitive about everything? Also why do you have misleading titles more then half of the time?

GlassHalfFull

This may kill my father.. He does a morning walk and 2 attractions in MK every saturday(when he is home) and his favorite attraction in the whole World is Tiki Room.. He does this every time in the MK.. Not sure he would ever return if they took out this classic.

Bacon

This may kill my father.. He does a morning walk and 2 attractions in MK every saturday(when he is home) and his favorite attraction in the whole World is Tiki Room.. He does this every time in the MK.. Not sure he would ever return if they took out this classic.
Has he never seen UNM?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Again, whose fault is that? Why do characters roam at every other Disney resort on the planet, even with set meet and greets, but not O-Town?

Could Disney just maybe be the cause? Maybe by turning character greets into attractions for sinister reasons? After all, if you wait two hours to get your princess a photo with Anna and Elsa you take a chunk of your day and don't notice how few REAL attractions there are.

Goofy and Alice and Pluto and etc can run around Anaheim or Tokyo (Duffy would be another matter there) because no one in their right mind would wait hours to meet characters.
Actually, I would have to blame the "white trash" that you talked about for that one. Do you honestly believe that Disney really wanted to spend millions of dollars for people to stand in line for 2 hours for a M&G? You know that they would rather have those people out spending money in restaurants and stores. Having a character walking around costs them practically nothing compared to having to build and staff the M&G areas. It does seem that the people that visit the other Disney parks are more respectful. Sad really.

GlassHalfFull

Has he never seen UNM?

He did when we'd go once or twice a year, and while annoyed they changed it, he still enjoyed it(We always asked what his Dole Whip was spiked with).. but he was still living in Ohio at that point.. he's only lived in Celebration/Winter Garden since 2012..

I think it is one of those things, he was 10 when he first went to the park in November of 71, so he was blown away by what technology could do etc... and it is one of those tiny things in the world, where ever Saturday he feels he can step back to his childhood and enjoy one of the things that made him fall in love with WDW.. I feel very similarly every time I ride Pirates.. the technology is NOT current, but the nostalgia and feelings that rush over you make feel so warm inside, you'd think I was drinking a nice Bourbon...

Casper Gutman

Yes, it's time to make way for the cutting-edge technology of a photo opportunity with a bored college student dressed as a cartoon character.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Classics are just that. ... do people get more from Small World or Mission Space? Mansion or Little Mermaid? Peter Pan or Primeval Whirl? ... And TDO has removed other newer classics (Imagination, Horizons for two examples) for crappy replacements. Imagination has eaten up so many tens of millions of dollars for two re-dos and there are plans (possible right now) for another because they sucked so badly (no, of course no fanboi/Imagineer jokes here ... never!)

The Birdies will never be one of the most popular attractions, but that doesn't mean they are ready for retirement either.

For me, personally, it means a lot because my grandmother was very ill her final three years on Earth. And it was during this time that she made her only two visits to WDW. The first was about a year before EPCOT opened and she absolutely loved the Tropical Serenade and singing with the tiki room denizens. If I close my eyes, I can picture it. I still like it more in Anaheim ... and find the whole fanboi lovefest with the Orange Bird over the last half dozen years to be very, very odd though.

Spirit those times with your grandmother are the quintessential Disney experience and WHY maintaining older classic Disney attractions is essential. Those precious moments are what keep us coming BACK to Disney.

Another example DW and DMIL are huge disney fans DFIL was to busy working to go on vacations when DW was a kid,

She got her first dumbo ride with DFIL at 30 and im still not sure who enjoyed it more DW DMIL or DFIL Now that DFIL retired he visits Disney a LOT

Its THIS kind of experience disney is messing with and without it what IS Disney other than a dogs breakfast of mismatched IP

I can get that at Cedar Fair/Six Flags for a lot less money

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I was highly disappointed with the ride, you are absolutely correct. No storyline just characters jammed into a ride. Sure the AAs are great but that's it.

Yet WDI is building the ride that Frozen deserves in Tokyo, Its in decisions like these that show TWDC only sees WDW as an ATM as if they were truly trying to make Frozen an evergreen IP they would have built. Arrendell HERE possibly off Fantasyland on one of the expansion pads

FigmentJedi

Yet WDI is building the ride that Frozen deserves in Tokyo, Its in decisions like these that show TWDC only sees WDW as an ATM as if they were truly trying to make Frozen an evergreen IP they would have built. Arrendell HERE possibly off Fantasyland on one of the expansion pads
Just imagine if they had built a Frozen ride that incorporated some of the Marc Davis concepts for the Enchanted Snow Palace in the Magic Kingdom and actually given us a well paced journey to Elsa's castle that actually has a payoff more substantial then hearing Elsa sing her One Hit Wonder and throw us down the mountain for an awkward anticlimactic singalong of "In Summer".

Casper Gutman

I have some sympathy for Disney. No other company in the world has to operate an enterprise that is both one of the top tourist destinations on the planet AND a historic cultural institution that is the subject of dozens of academic histories, hundreds of popular histories, and millions of family and individual memories. There is no standard text on running parks that cultural historians consider among the most important pop culture developments of the 20th century, sites that could legitimately be preserved as historic landmarks if they weren't still wildly profitable to a private corporation.

All that said, Iger's Disney is very bad at adapting to the unique cultural place of its parks. They really can't just tear things down and replace them based entirely on the bottom line as execs might be tempted to do. Nostalgia and history MUST be factored in, for reasons of finance if not for reasons of social responsibility and historical preservation - nostalgia and history is a big part of why the parks make so much money. Uni doesn't have this problem in Florida (they'd like to and may one day, and they arguably have it to some extent in Hollywood) and you always get the impression that current WDW management kind of resents the burden.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom