MAGICal DLP News, Rumours & Thoughts

JDL30

€15 to ride Hyperspace Mountain in advance.

#^$@!

You can tell DLP has been taken over by the unspeakable barbarians across the pond. What a sad and sorry bunch of mediocre lemon squeezers.

Where did you hear this? Have done a search and normally get wind of most DLP rumours - not seen anything about this online. Also to my knowledge they are going to be very close to the wire getting this ready for the proposed reopening date - I can't see how they will have time to offer a paid for preview

The Empress Lilly

The Empress Lilly

How incredibly disappointing @The Empress Lilly - not to say shameless. I don't speak French but I take they justify it by selling it as 'be the first to ride the new Hyperspace Mountain' or something?
We may have gone beyond the shameless monetisation of the American parks. I believe we have a world premiere in that the parks are closed for an upcharge event...that has an upcharge event in it.

We've crossed into Inception territory.... :eek:

€49 for a Star Wars evening to celebrate the opening of Hyperspace Mountain, and for another €15 you get to actually ride the mountain too.
I hope this doesn't fly in Europe. This is the second time DLP is in control of American hypergreed. The first time the parks were dragged down for decades by building more hotels than attractions. This time, they are trying to transplant the American hyper monetisation.

For one thing, you need American income inequality and low taxes to have a wide audience for this sort of event. Plus a cultural acceptance. What middle-class European family will pay several hundred euros just for a few hours in a theme park? That they have already paid for to get to. In Europe, that makes you the laughing stock of your friends, not their envy.

Stevie Amsterdam

What middle-class European family will pay several hundred euros just for a few hours in a theme park? That they have already paid for to get to.

I agree. I don't see European families justifying paying so much for something that is currently in the middle of re-establishing itself. For over a decade DLP was run down and not on par with it's overseas siblings. Under the control of TWDC it has been refurbished, painted etc but it still needs a lot more for Europeans to say 'hey, some significant changes have been made, it's worth spending the extra money'

peep

Urgh, this news is upsetting. I imagine people will pay out for this, you'd be surprised at how often this type of thing sells at other parks - which is frustrating as it's the worst, these trips are expensive enough as it is.

Makes it even less likely that they'll be soft opening the ride the weekend before when I'm there (not too fussed, back again in August).

peep

A photo has been released of Jonny Depp posing with one of the new Jack Sparrow animatronics in the Paris POTC. The ride re-opens July 24th.

18740703_1429613800415753_6809168852753109646_n.jpg

Personally, I don't think this one looks right? Sure the other parks that got these animatronics looked a lot more like Depp. I'm still excited to see the other additions though.

AndyS2992

I do hope now that Disney is in charge that a Splash Mountain type ride will finally be on the cards for the 30th Anniversary as well as adding an Indiana Jones Adventure/Dinosaur style ride, build the Matterhorn as originally planned as well as the long halted Beauty and the Beast dark ride and add a new nighttime parade and then to me Disneyland park will feel complete in comparison to the other Magic Kingdoms around the world. Disneyland hasn't had an actual new ride since Buzz Lightyear opened in 2005.

Disney Village also needs an overhaul and Walt Disney Studios needs a lot of help but I feel like they are getting there, very slowly of course. The area around Rock n Rollercoaster is a disgrace.

If only I could be in charge of DLP :grumpy:

Songbird76

I don't know that a Splash Mountain would be doable there, though. They wouldn't be able to have it open year round. The weather is not really conducive to getting wet and walking around a park all day. At least not most of the time. We went to a park here in the Netherlands and did a ride kind of like Kali River Rapids in AK at WDW. I got soaked and I FROZE the whole day...and it wasn't even that cold outside. Florida and California both have warmer climates than France. As much as I love SM, I don't think I'd want to go on it if it wasn't baking hot outside.

peep

So many parks in Europe have log flumes and rapids. Some even open all year round (e.g. Phantasialand's log flume, Chiapas - they close the rapids during Winter). Tokyo has some pretty cold weather and they have a Splash Mountain that is open all year. From what I hear they have the ability to change the level of the splash?

I think Paris has enough good weather to warrant a good outdoor water ride. However if they do get a Splash Mountain I'd love for them to use a different theme. Jungle Book or Pocahontas would be great. There's plenty of space too.

The problem with Paris is financial. Hopefully we'll see a lot of investment over the next 5-10 years. I think the slow expansion of the Studios park has been great (not perfect) but it would be nice to finally see a brand new attraction in the main park.

AndyS2992

I don't know that a Splash Mountain would be doable there, though. They wouldn't be able to have it open year round. The weather is not really conducive to getting wet and walking around a park all day. At least not most of the time. We went to a park here in the Netherlands and did a ride kind of like Kali River Rapids in AK at WDW. I got soaked and I FROZE the whole day...and it wasn't even that cold outside. Florida and California both have warmer climates than France. As much as I love SM, I don't think I'd want to go on it if it wasn't baking hot outside.
Good points however Tokyo gets much colder than France in the winter and they have a Splash Mountain, theirs even has a system that stops any splash happening after the big drop so that could be implemented. Log flumes here in the UK at least usually have drying stations at the end of the ride for guests to dry off. Like a big step in hand dryer.

Songbird76

Interesting...if they could ensure that people wouldn't have to walk around the park in wet clothes all day, that would be awesome! When we did Kali River last summer, it was SO hot and I was grateful for getting soaked. But if it's not nice weather, it is NOT fun to get wet!

Donald Dutch

I think adding Splash Mountain wouldn't be a bad idea. When it is hot in Paris, many guests jump in the different fountains across parks to cool down. And like stated above, many other European parks with the same or even worse weather conditions do have water rides. I even think guest would not have a problem with closing it down in the winter for refurbishment, many parks in here in the Netherlands choose for that option.

Stevie Amsterdam

However if they do get a Splash Mountain I'd love for them to use a different theme. Jungle Book or Pocahontas would be great
Although Splash Mountain is one of my favorite rides, I am loving the idea of a Jungle Book themed version for DLP. They could use the space between Temple du Peril and PotC :)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom