DLR first visit from the eyes of a WDW veteran

PiratesMansion

I know DLR has more attractions than all four WDW parks. Is it overwhelming going through the park or can you relax a bit more since everything is right there? Plus, you can walk over to DCA.

I think the only thing that can be overwhelming is the crowds, particularly in the Tomorrowland corridor and leading up to the nighttime spectaculars. Overall, though, it's a much more relaxing and spontaneous trip.

disneygeek90

At this point there are so many Annual Passholders that often, the best days to visit DLR are when as many pass blockouts are in effect as possible.
It seems as if AP's in DLR are far greater than the scale of AP's in WDW. Does anyone know the approximate differences between the two count wise?

disneygeek90

Now you compare two rides with the same layout to two rides with same ride vehicle. I'm not sure what point you're making. Yes, RSR uses the same ride vehicle but the ride isn't a copy of Test Track, not even close.
It's like claiming HM is the same as Nemo and Friends :rolleyes:

GiveMeTheMusic

It seems as if AP's in DLR are far greater than the scale of AP's in WDW. Does anyone know the approximate differences between the two count wise?

We estimate that there are 1 million or more APs at DLR. I have no idea how many WDW has, but I would be shocked if it was anywhere near half of that.

Last edited:

disneygeek90

We estimate that there are 1 million more APs at DLR. I have no idea how many WDW has, but I would be shocked if it was anywhere near half of that.
That's crazy. I am a WDW AP living in Orlando, and was at DLR in March. I could definitely tell a lot were AP (as almost every cast member asked if I was, that’s not quite as prevalent in WDW). I’m most likely going back to DLR for a Sunday and Monday trip in early November so hoping that the end of weekend/weekday visit will be better.

Figments Friend

DLR was fabulous but has nothing similar to compare to EPCOT. The world showcase,for example, may only have two rides but has much to offer that is not ride-based.

Oh I agree.
I was, and still am, a major EPCOT Center fan.
Spent a lot of time there in the early 80s and despite all the changes its still my favorite Park along with Disneyland Park.
There will always be a draw to return to Epcot for me.

World Showcase is terrific.
Now if we can just get Future World back into a inspirational state....

-

BrianV

Original Poster
Oh I agree.
I was, and still am, a major EPCOT Center fan.
Spent a lot of time there in the early 80s and despite all the changes its still my favorite Park along with Disneyland Park.
There will always be a draw to return to Epcot for me.

World Showcase is terrific.
Now if we can just get Future World back into a inspirational state....

-
Give future world time. The land is still one of my favorites depsite the loss of the jingle...

yookeroo

As a person who grew up in Orange County CA, , I can tell you humorously that saying DL is in LA is considered an insult. The OC - particularly the farther south you live- couldn't be viewed any more differently. Maybe akin to telling someone from Long Island or Martha's Vineyard they are from Brooklyn. That different and very competitive with each other.

Well, one side feels competitive. I doubt Angelenos give it much thought. Feels like OC has an inferiority complex. And I say this as someone who lived there for a quarter of a century. Orange Countians who get bothered by this remind me of Ricearonians who get upset by "Frisco".

Ok. I admit I only posted this for the opportunity to use "Ricearonians".

Curious Constance

Well, one side feels competitive. I doubt Angelenos give it much thought. Feels like OC has an inferiority complex. And I say this as someone who lived there for a quarter of a century. Orange Countians who get bothered by this remind me of Ricearonians who get upset by "Frisco".

lol when "Ricearonians" ends up on Urban Dictionary, I better not see your picture next to it!

Curious Constance

To be safe, how about you use this pic as a disclaimer anytime you use Ricearonians?

upload_2017-4-16_11-22-38.png
®

Minthorne

Another WDW veteran just back from 3 days at DLR. I read this thread before going and it is so spot on. Was there 4/13-4/15 and the crowds were very manageable. I think the AP block outs helped. Did Morning Magic Hours each day. The first day we did 14 attractions at DLP between 7a -11a. It was awesome - no way you could get through much in in WDW. I agree with the OP comparisons of all the attractions and the entrance to DCA from the Grand Californian was super convenient. It is situated across from the Grizzly River Run raft ride - get soak and go change! California Screaming is an amazing coaster! I'm going to attempt to load some pictures - Including Kurt Douglas at DCA during food and wine.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No it is really more like accepting the fact that Indy and Dinosaurs are basically the same ride with different overlays... Same is pretty much true of Test Track and RSR.... Granted the overlays are very different but the basic concept underlying it is the same for both. I would expect that if you pulled a car from RSR you could drop it on the Test Track and it would be fully functional.

No - The RSR cars actually have a pivot body for instance. The 'I ride in a car on a slot track' is the same, but almost everything else is significantly different.

flynnibus

Premium Member
We estimate that there are 1 million or more APs at DLR. I have no idea how many WDW has, but I would be shocked if it was anywhere near half of that.

I'd bet the number is far larger than most realize. The difference is the visiting patterns. DLR has a far larger base of APs that visit frequently and casually (part day, etc). WDW has a huge group of FL resident passes and a massive base of APs that buy because of DVC or longer duration stays, but are never seen outside of those 'vacation' stays.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom