Expanded viewing areas coming to the Tree of Life Awakenings

Kman101

It is a legit complaint. WDW is destroying what little greenery still exists at an alarming pace. And they've already removed quite a bit of trees from DAK over the years for wider walkways and stroller parking lots. And, no, it hasn't improved the experience for the rest of us.

Ok.

I'm also aware of what's been removed. And I think wider pathways were needed. They could have done better with the trees. I know they have an agenda when it comes to removing trees but it everything has to be so negative all of the time. I've agreed with you on most things but I don't think you speak for everyone on this.

WDW1974

Ok.

I'm also aware of what's been removed. And I think wider pathways were needed. They could have done better with the trees. I know they have an agenda when it comes to removing trees but it everything has to be so negative all of the time. I've agreed with you on most things but I don't think you speak for everyone on this.

If you look at the size of the average Guest and how many scooters and double-wide strollers there are, then the walkways at any/all of the parks will never be sufficient. All of the parks were built before scooters were an industry (and a quick way to get rich in FL) and before parents decided being lazy and raising unhealthy kids was OK and ... look, I'm tired of going to a resort that was once an oasis amidst a sea of trees that stretched on as far as one could see "the blessing of size" it was called to a place where you have urban sprawl not only up to the Disney property lines, but on it as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kman101

If you look at the size of the average Guest and how many scooters and double-wide strollers there are, then the walkways at any/all of the parks will never be sufficient. All of the parks were built before scooters were an industry (and a quick way to get rich in FL) and before parents decided being lazy and raising unhealthy kids was OK and ... look, I'm tired of going to a resort that was once an oasis amidst a sea of trees that stretched on as far as one could see "the blessing of size" it was called to a place where you have urban sprawl not only up to the Disney property lines, but on it as well.

That's all true. I can't disagree. Don't be sorry they're all true points.

Last edited by a moderator:

Timothy_Q

It might unless and existing, appropriate space already exists. If not, a new build works. Hopefully in one space. Custom built. Not affecting the existing bark. Blessing of size, and all that.

Ever seen Fantasmic?

I 100% prefer a well-planned show integrated into the park (illuminations, Awakenings, TDS Fantasmic) than half a soccer stadium built outside DHS that feels completely disjointed from the rest of the park

We can each prefer a different thing though.

Last edited:

doctornick

Question about the specifics (I haven't seen the show live)... I thought the premise was for the actual carvings on the tree to be highlighted and "come alive". Don't they use the projections to focus on a specific existing animal carving and use that for the "show"? Wouldn't that be an issue because the back of the tree would not have the same animals present.

I guess it could just do the projection without that subtle beginning, but it seems to me to be a neat feature of the show.

doctornick

I'd sooner call that WDW's curse of size. Nighttime offerings lose a lot of their charm if held in a stadium or parking lot near a park rather than in a park. As F! is. Or with a custom build parking lot within a park, as for the MK castle clips shows.

One could project Awakenings on a big canvas in the DAK parking lot, and all logistical issues are solved. But what's the point in that? The charm is seeing the tree come alive, the magic is the dense park.
I 100% prefer a well-planned show integrated into the park (illuminations, Awakenings, TDS Fantasmic) than half a soccer stadium built outside DHS that feels completely disjointed from the rest of the park

We can each prefer a different thing though.

Agree with these. I much prefer when shows use existing structures to present an offering and have a show "come alive" where it wasn't before. I think the setting of DHS' Fantasmic! is to its detriment.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Question about the specifics (I haven't seen the show live)... I thought the premise was for the actual carvings on the tree to be highlighted and "come alive". Don't they use the projections to focus on a specific existing animal carving and use that for the "show"? Wouldn't that be an issue because the back of the tree would not have the same animals present.

I guess it could just do the projection without that subtle beginning, but it seems to me to be a neat feature of the show.

They could just slightly reanimated those sequences so that rather than those featured animals (e.g., the deer) come alive, they just show up in the scene off stage like so many of the other animals in the vignette do.

Irie

It is a legit complaint. WDW is destroying what little greenery still exists at an alarming pace. And they've already removed quite a bit of trees from DAK over the years for wider walkways and stroller parking lots. And, no, it hasn't improved the experience for the rest of us.

With AK being my favorite park, it disturbs me that the number of trees are being reduced. AK, IMO, is meant to be savored. The ambience is supposed to seep into you. The pace should be less hectic. I realize that this may not be for everyone, but isn't that why we have 4 parks that offer 4 different experiences (allegedly)?

jt04

I'd say this will now have reached the status of being a true attraction. A solid B ticket, possibly C ticket. It sure is driving the Uni apologists up a tree :D

Great add!

PS- and we haven't even seen the Pandora projections yet.

wdwgreek

I cannot stand the concrete walkways that have been widened for scooters, the heat bounces off the surfaces and makes some park areas unbearable in the summer. You leave the oasis and then boom the shade is gone. I hate the scooters alot, I get that for some people they are nessesary but it seems everyone over 70 seems to be on one. World Show case promenade for example is a nightmare when the scooter gangs come strolling along.

Figment2005

With AK being my favorite park, it disturbs me that the number of trees are being reduced. AK, IMO, is meant to be savored. The ambience is supposed to seep into you. The pace should be less hectic. I realize that this may not be for everyone, but isn't that why we have 4 parks that offer 4 different experiences (allegedly)?
Overall the parks are nowhere near short on trees. Maybe in certain high traffic areas, but the parks are far from barren.

sculljoey

A look at one of the projector stands. There are three total

TreeOfLife-projectors-04112017-2.jpg

rushtest4echo

You seem to be tired of most aspects relating to Disney, Disney World, and the people who run them. Probably time to cut your losses and move on. I can certainly tell that you enjoy the adulation and praise you receive for the tabloid trash you put out here far more than any enjoyment you get from visiting and/or partaking in anything relating to Disney itself.

FigmentForver96

You seem to be tired of most aspects relating to Disney, Disney World, and the people who run them. Probably time to cut your losses and move on. I can certainly tell that you enjoy the adulation and praise you receive for the tabloid trash you put out here far more than any enjoyment you get from visiting and/or partaking in anything relating to Disney itself.
Take time to read his posts and see he visits the Disney parks often. His "tabloid trash" is no more common then your constant desire and obvious drive to undermine him when he has proven to be a very thoughtful and valued member on those boards. Perhaps you should cut your losses and move on.

Nemo14

Take time to read his posts and see he visits the Disney parks often. His "tabloid trash" is no more common then your constant desire and obvious drive to undermine him when he has proven to be a very thoughtful and valued member on those boards. Perhaps you should cut your losses and move on.
^this
And the comments he makes are clearly because of his love of Disney and its potential, not his hatred of anything Disney.

Casper Gutman

A great deal of what Spirit posts turns out to be correct - it's hardly "tabloid trash." He's a very valuable poster. He can come off a bit arrogant at times, but so can I. So can you. So can many on this board.

And as to the hating Disney thing - NOONE on these boards hates Disney or wants to see it fail. Some might want to see Iger fail. Some might want to see certain aspects of the park fail (I personally would love to see MM+ fail). But disliking the Iger regime is not the same as disliking Disney, and saying it is is not intellectually honest. A lot of the passion from "negative" posters comes from a desperate desire to save Disney and a sense of frustration that there isn't much they can do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom