Expanded viewing areas coming to the Tree of Life Awakenings

ToTBellHop

Isn't this the type of deforestation they warned us about on Kali.

TBH this is the problem with choosing to go with a number of low-capacity nighttime offerings that guests need to choose from rather than one large-scale, large-capacity show. I hope this doesn't negatively impact the charm of that back walkway.

Macca250

Keen to see this and Rivers of Light during my next visit in October. Currently DAK park hours are showing a closing time of 1900 in Oct. Do we think this is accurate or is it likely that park hours will be updated to show later closing times? Would be a shame to miss the new offerings after sunset, especially Pandora.

Daveeeeed

TBH this is the problem with choosing to go with a number of low-capacity nighttime offerings that guests need to choose from rather than one large-scale, large-capacity show. I hope this doesn't negatively impact the charm of that back walkway.
I actually think it's good that there's not one Epic scaled show like Illuminations. It diversifies the line-up. And also Animal Kingdom has always been more quaint and laid back than the other parks, so it it works nicely.

Though Rivers of Light should have had a larger arena I think it still works great.

Timothy_Q

Because a large scale / large capacity show wouldn't need trees to be cut down to make room for all the people?

Kman101

It's also a park that wasn't initially designed with any of these shows in mind. Not saying I love trees being removed or charm being taken away, but they're adjusting as they go along.

I think the park has done a terrific job overall. They have great entertainment and a lot of it lasts past 5, unlike the other parks. They've kept IPs mostly out of the park and those used fit well. The Harambe expansion was needed and well done. Pandora will be beautiful (the rides remain to be seen but I have hope and they needed a boat ride and another simulator fills out the roster, not what everyone desired, me included, but it's hopefully a better more immersive version of Soarin') ...

The Empress Lilly

It might unless and existing, appropriate space already exists. If not, a new build works. Hopefully in one space. Custom built. Not affecting the existing bark. Blessing of size, and all that.

Ever seen Fantasmic?
I'd sooner call that WDW's curse of size. Nighttime offerings lose a lot of their charm if held in a stadium or parking lot near a park rather than in a park. As F! is. Or with a custom build parking lot within a park, as for the MK castle clips shows.

One could project Awakenings on a big canvas in the DAK parking lot, and all logistical issues are solved. But what's the point in that? The charm is seeing the tree come alive, the magic is the dense park.

WDW1974

I do worry about how many trees (naturally!) have been removed. I noticed this with a friend when up for wogwog's funeral when we spent a few hours at DAK one night. We thought the trees had been cleared for something on the water this summer (assuming that Pandora will cause the park to be slammed) ... I guess we know what the clearing and the equipment installed were for.

But, yeah, I don't want DAK becoming the concrete wasteland that the MK has. Again, anyone who was there last century, knows that it was PARK like.

WDW1974

Glad to see them doing this. The park still has plenty of trees. Always finding a complaint in something ...

It is a legit complaint. WDW is destroying what little greenery still exists at an alarming pace. And they've already removed quite a bit of trees from DAK over the years for wider walkways and stroller parking lots. And, no, it hasn't improved the experience for the rest of us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom