DLR first visit from the eyes of a WDW veteran

GiveMeTheMusic

No it is really more like accepting the fact that Indy and Dinosaurs are basically the same ride with different overlays... Same is pretty much true of Test Track and RSR.... Granted the overlays are very different but the basic concept underlying it is the same for both. I would expect that if you pulled a car from RSR you could drop it on the Test Track and it would be fully functional.

Well, they're fundamentally different in that RSR has amazing sets, AAs and actual show scenes, and Test Track...doesn't.

truecoat

No it is really more like accepting the fact that Indy and Dinosaurs are basically the same ride with different overlays... Same is pretty much true of Test Track and RSR.... Granted the overlays are very different but the basic concept underlying it is the same for both. I would expect that if you pulled a car from RSR you could drop it on the Test Track and it would be fully functional.

Now you compare two rides with the same layout to two rides with same ride vehicle. I'm not sure what point you're making. Yes, RSR uses the same ride vehicle but the ride isn't a copy of Test Track, not even close.

Daveeeeed

The official Disneyland blockout calendar needs to be your best friend. Pick the dates with the most blockouts. https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/blockout-dates/
Our last full day of our Disneyland vacation this year is June 24th which also happens to be my birthday and a single blackout date for the Delux passport. I've never been to Disneyland (although know a ton about it including the history), but until you go there... you lack the in park experience.

Do you think the 19th-24th of June are good dates? I understand that they will be crowded, but how bad. Also, since there are so many APs that don't have to travel at Disneyland like they do in Florida do you think it will actually be less crowded by the blocked out Saturday for delux? Thanks a million!

Curious Constance

Our last full day of our Disneyland vacation this year is June 24th which also happens to be my birthday and a single blackout date for the Delux passport. I've never been to Disneyland (although know a ton about it including the history), but until you go there... you lack the in park experience.

Do you think the 19th-24th of June are good dates? I understand that they will be crowded, but how bad. Also, since there are so many APs that don't have to travel at Disneyland like they do in Florida do you think it will actually be less crowded by the blocked out Saturday for delux? Thanks a million!
Your trip is exactly during my trip! And the 21-23rd the lowest two tiers are blocked and the 24th the lowest three tiers are blocked. That is good news, because as they were saying above, the more passes that are blocked, the better crowds will be!

Daveeeeed

Now you compare two rides with the same layout to two rides with same ride vehicle. I'm not sure what point you're making. Yes, RSR uses the same ride vehicle but the ride isn't a copy of Test Track, not even close.
Exactly. An attraction is usually grouped by ride vehicles, ticket class, popularity, theme, thrill, and location. For the vehicle one it's like grouping a flying coaster to another flying coaster at a different park. The only way it is basically the same ride is if it is a clone like Mermaid at DCA & MK, and even then the rides differ, or can differ, in the queue, theme, etc. also Peter Pan may use the same theme and style of ride, but the layout may be completely different.

Dinosaur & Indy are interesting because while they use the same track layout, other than the vehicle they are not similar at all. But obviously comparisons are made between them as specialized vehicles like EMV, LPS, slot-cars, and even submarines for instance it's best to compare them to similar types of attractions. It is a bit odd for someone to say that they are basically the same ride as that is not comparing at all and is in fact misleading.

Daveeeeed

Your trip is exactly during my trip! And the 21-23rd the lowest two tiers are blocked and the 24th the lowest three tiers are blocked. That is good news, because as they were saying above, the more passes that are blocked, the better crowds will be!
Well how about that:p. Is it your first time going?

I'm so excited and thanks for the info -- that's true. I literally read that yet it just didn't process in my head. It's almost 2am hereo_O:facepalm::D.

Daveeeeed

Of course, still prepare for crowds, they seem to be there regardless of the time of the year anymore, but as long as they are manageable, I'll be happy.
Go to Disneyland Paris:D. Disneyland Parc Paris in May of last year's biggest wait was consistently 30 some minutes for Buzz. Space Mountain was usually 15, Pirates always under 15, and Phantom Manor was 100% of the time walk on. Perfect weather too (minus a bit of rain one day).

Walt Disney Studios (which IMHO is the worst Disney park on Earth) had pretty darn good wait times though. As the park is so ugly (literally like cheap facades on a parking lot) there is nothing to do, but ride the rides and since they are so close to each other wait times are bloated. At the same time Disneyland Parc Paris received 30 minutes or less waits across the board... Walt Disney Studios had a 60+ minute wait for Crush's Coaster (but the reason for that is a massive capacity shortage), Tot had a 45 min wait, Backlot Tour 25+, Ratatouille between walk on and an hour, Toy Story Playland's flatrides b/w 25 and 45, and the various shows usually had a few minute wait. Also during this time the parks were preparing for the 25th Anniversary which had RRC, Pan, BTM, and Star Tours.

Though during the Summer both parks boast huge wait times, so it's not much different than WDW in terms of crowds then.

Last edited:

Curious Constance

Well how about that:p. Is it your first time going?

I'm so excited and thanks for the info -- that's true. I literally read that yet it just didn't process in my head. It's almost 2am hereo_O:facepalm::D.

We've been to DLR about six times so far, but it'll be almost three years since our last trip, so we're very much looking forward to going back! We're also going to Universal and San Diego Zoo, and I'm planning to do that earlier in the week when all the APs are unblocked and crowding the parks up :)

thomas998

As I stated the overlay is different but the technology behind both of those rides is pretty much identical. You get in a 6 seat car, you get pulled rapidly along a simulated road making the same sort of high speed turns.... If you road both with your eyes closed and they eliminated the audio you would be hard pressed to know which one you were on.

PiratesMansion

I'm just happy that they turned Boat Ride 8 into Frozen and not Roller Coaster 1. I mean, there are so many Boat Rides and they're all the same!

HauntedMansionFLA

I know DLR has more attractions than all four WDW parks. Is it overwhelming going through the park or can you relax a bit more since everything is right there? Plus, you can walk over to DCA.

BrianV

Original Poster
I know DLR has more attractions than all four WDW parks. Is it overwhelming going through the park or can you relax a bit more since everything is right there? Plus, you can walk over to DCA.

It was very easy to hop parks. If you've been to Universal Orlando, I'd say the DLR gates are even closer. We actually hopped 6 times one day chasing fast passes. Epcot is probably bigger in area than all of DLR.

As for relaxing, that is a function of crowds and you. It was crowded and we decided not to do everything so it was mostly relaxing. But your results may vary.

Figments Friend

Disneyland Park is not overwhelming at all and I find it wonderfully relaxing.
When compared to the more intense push you have probably experienced at WDWs Magic Kingdom, DLR is bliss.
Most Attractions and Shows are indeed close together...right next door to each other in most cases, with lots of side attractions and hidden gems in between.
DCA is more spread out so for a WDW Vet it will feel slightly like Epcot...traversing distances between the main Attractions you wish to see.

Yes, there may well be big crowds depending on when you visit, but at Disneyland people are not as obsessed or paranoid about rushing around to 'do everything'.
The pace is far more laid back and fun.

But DLR is terrific in that the touring vibe is far more appealing, to me at least.
That is the beauty of NO FP+ in the California Parks....no sense of needing to 'reserve' rides and dining in advance and have a 'schedule'.
There is none of that nonsense on the West Coast.
Thank the Gods....

At Disneyland, you just show up, walk through the gates, and decide on a whim what you fell like doing and DO IT.
Go grab a (paper) FP for your must sees, stroll around and EXPLORE everything that is around you, and dine wherever you want when you feel like it.
The Park is just packed with layer upon layer of details and delights...you just have to be paying attention.
The pace is a little slower, less stressful, and far more enjoyable.
I love it.
:)

Oh, and Disneyland has lots of benches and places to sit and enjoy the beautiful sights or people watch.
Of course, if you want to 'commando tour' and have a schedule in mind before visiting, be my guest.
To each their own.
But I cannot stress enough how utterly wonderful it is to just walk in through the turnstiles and do whatever you want without having to 'reserve' everything six months in advance.
That's not a vacation, at least not for me.

-

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I don't believe we have more attractions overall. We have more rides, but I don't believe we have more attractions. Would someone like to count and include shows/entertainment? @TP2000?

Figments Friend

Our resident TP2000 has noted many times in the past that Disneyland has more Attractions and shows then the four WDW properties combined.
He has a list that lays it all out beautifully.

That's saying a lot about a property that some WDW Vets often refer to as 'smaller'.
As Nigel Powers once elegantly stated - " it's not the size that matters, it's what you do with it..!"
;)

-

drizgirl

Our resident TP2000 has noted many times in the past that Disneyland has more Attractions and shows then the four WDW properties combined.

That's saying a lot about a property that some WDW Vets often refer to as 'smaller'.
As Nigel Powers once elegantly stated - " it's not the size that matters, it's what you do with it..!"
;)

-
I find that "smaller" attribute to be a benefit as well. So much easier to get more out of our days.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Right?
So many Vets get so hung up about the 'size' issue in their minds that it blinds them in some respects to really being able to see and enjoy the superior elements the Park has to offer.

That why when people ask me about what to expect, and they are a WDW Vet, I always tell them to try to avoid 'comparing' the two properties.
Enjoy DLR for what it is...it's own special place and open your eyes to what's there.
Don't get so hung up on how 'small' everything is.. I.e Sleeping Beauty Castle....that you cannot enjoy what is right in front of you.

The richness of the environments in Disneyland Park more then make up for the 'size'.
The overlapping thematic elements and the transitions between the lands are terrific too...exspecially when you consider how close everything is to each other.
It's marvelous.

-

BrianV

Original Poster

;)

-

DLR was fabulous but has nothing similar to compare to EPCOT. The world showcase,for example, may only have two rides but has much to offer that is not ride-based.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom