Tomorrowland's Future

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Kinetics are great, but it would be like having Space Mountain pop outside for a random moment. The ride works because you are enclosed in "space." Tron needs to have people enclosed in the game grid and a random pop out of that world ruins the concept.

I have no problem with a ride similar to Tron, but not bound by the same IP, was brought to Tomorrowland and featured outdoor segments which worked thematically. Just no TRON.

One premise of Tron 3 was going to be Sam and Quorra's adventures outside the grid and try to create new iso's in the real world. Now with the new Jared Leto version don't know if that is still the case. But the Tron coaster could take the original Tron 3 premise and build upon it to make it its own story. Which would have the outside portion make sense. So you have originality of a story but with an IP.

Professortango1

One premise of Tron 3 was going to be Sam and Quorra's adventures outside the grid and try to create new iso's in the real world. Now with the new Jared Leto version don't know if that is still the case. But the Tron coaster could take the original Tron 3 premise and build upon it to make it its own story. Which would have the outside portion make sense. So you have originality of a story but with an IP.

I guess I'd have to see it as it doesn't make sense to me. I know the current version doesn't attempt to explain going outside the show building and the result is a disjointed attraction.

DDLand

Kinetics are great, but it would be like having Space Mountain pop outside for a random moment. The ride works because you are enclosed in "space." Tron needs to have people enclosed in the game grid and a random pop out of that world ruins the concept.

I have no problem with a ride similar to Tron, but not bound by the same IP, was brought to Tomorrowland and featured outdoor segments which worked thematically. Just no TRON.
There is a Space Mountain variant that does go outside. It works in the story, just like the outdoor section Lightcycles.

rle4lunch

Agree.
If they really want to place it there, they will find a way.

-

jeff-goldblum-life-finds-a-way-life-uh-finds-a-way.jpg

Professortango1

There is a Space Mountain variant that does go outside. It works in the story, just like the outdoor section Lightcycles.

Where?? I know Paris' begins with being loaded into the cannon with views of outside before being shot into space, but I don't recall any version of Space having guests leave space, go outside, and go back into space.

DDLand

Where?? I know Paris' begins with being loaded into the cannon with views of outside before being shot into space, but I don't recall any version of Space having guests leave space, go outside, and go back into space.
You are quite correct.

There is no version of Lightcycles that takes guests into and then out of the Grid. There are 4 phases of the ride:
1) Portion in the real/physical world- Queue and initial pre launch
2) Upload to the Grid- outdoor section
3) The games- Indoor section on the Grid
4) Return to Tomorrowland

This follows almost exactly the same formula as Space Mountain in Paris with an on Earth section, an outdoor launch section, and a space portion.

There is no into and out of the Grid because you aren't in the Grid to begin with.

Professortango1

You are quite correct.

There is no version of Lightcycles that takes guests into and then out of the Grid. There are 4 phases of the ride:
1) Portion in the real/physical world- Queue and initial pre launch
2) Upload to the Grid- outdoor section
3) The games- Indoor section on the Grid
4) Return to Tomorrowland

This follows almost exactly the same formula as Space Mountain in Paris with an on Earth section, an outdoor launch section, and a space portion.

There is no into and out of the Grid because you aren't in the Grid to begin with.

But the queue is themed to the world of Tron, and the light cycles only exist in the world o5c Tron....You're still in Tron, exiting into the real world, then going back into Tron and into the Game Grid.

It would be one thing if the queue and building were themed to Tomorrowland and guests boarded regular vehicles that wpuld transport them into the world of Tron once they reached a certain velocity or whatever. But leaving the cyber world ruins the ride.

Last edited:

Professortango1

36c82f80.jpg

The stuff on the outside of the building is coaster tracks.

Yep, and they didn't do this concept. Someone mentioned a version where the coaster does have an outdoor portion, but I can't think of any version of Space Mountain that exists with an outdoor section of track.

Professortango1

Unless you count the canon on DLP's Space Mountain as being "outside".

It's not outside as it doesn't exit the building, and it's also not a portion of the coaster, just the launch. It still works thematically as you are launched from earth into space. Earth can be daytime or nighttime.

Phroobar

It's not outside as it doesn't exit the building, and it's also not a portion of the coaster, just the launch. It still works thematically as you are launched from earth into space. Earth can be daytime or nighttime.
Coasters don't work very well without a launch there it is part of the coaster. I can feel the outside air from the launch therefore outside.

Professortango1

Coasters don't work very well without a launch there it is part of the coaster. I can feel the outside air from the launch therefore outside.

You obviously know what I mean and are just trying to dance around it. The launch/breakstation of a coaster is not the same as the actual body of the coaster itself. These take us into/out of the world the attraction is presenting. A themed ride is a narrative. You can choose to start your narrative in the world or bookend it with a transition into the world.

Tron's coaster moment is the equivalent of an animated movie having a random live action sequence 20-30 minutes in without any rhyme or reason to it. Tron is simply not a Disney-level themed attraction. It's a lot of fun and has some phenomenal lighting effects, but the design and outdoor section is very un-Disney as it does break the storytelling.

Phroobar

You obviously know what I mean and are just trying to dance around it. The launch/breakstation of a coaster is not the same as the actual body of the coaster itself. These take us into/out of the world the attraction is presenting. A themed ride is a narrative. You can choose to start your narrative in the world or bookend it with a transition into the world.

Tron's coaster moment is the equivalent of an animated movie having a random live action sequence 20-30 minutes in without any rhyme or reason to it. Tron is simply not a Disney-level themed attraction. It's a lot of fun and has some phenomenal lighting effects, but the design and outdoor section is very un-Disney as it does break the storytelling.
I know. I'm just messing with you. :D

DDLand

But the queue is themed to the world of Tron, and the light cycles only exist in the world o5c Tron....You're still in Tron, exiting into the real world, then going back into Tron and into the Game Grid.

It would be one thing if the queue and building were themed to Tomorrowland and guests boarded regular vehicles that wpuld transport them into the world of Tron once they reached a certain velocity or whatever. But leaving the cyber world ruins the ride.
No, it follows a design that is similiar to the Grid. It is not in Grid. You are not in the Grid until after the outdoor portion. I must emphasis this, you never leave the Grid.

The outdoor portion is the process of syncing you to the Grid. The Tomorrowland Station is in the real world. That is the story. It is almost exactly like Paris's Space Mountain that has an outdoor launch sequence.

You can have complaints about the potential placement of the project, but there is a fully logical story progression taking place that you are either unaware of or ignoring.

Here is my write up:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/replacement-for-tomorrowland-speedway.925386/page-9#post-7628449

This is fact.

Edit: Reading this later it looks a little aggressive. Sorry, I was trying to help navigate through LA traffic when I wrote it; I think I was little stressed! ;)

Last edited:

Professortango1

No, it follows a design that is similiar to the Grid. It is not in Grid. You are not in the Grid until after the outdoor portion. I must emphasis this, you never leave the Grid.

The outdoor portion is the process of syncing you to the Grid. The Tomorrowland Station is in the real world. That is the story. It is almost exactly like Paris's Space Mountain that has an outdoor launch sequence.

You can have complaints about the potential placement of the project, but there is a fully logical story progression taking place that you are either unaware of or ignoring.

Here is my write up:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/replacement-for-tomorrowland-speedway.925386/page-9#post-7628449

This is fact.

Edit: Reading this later it looks a little aggressive. Sorry, I was trying to help navigate through LA traffic when I wrote it; I think I was little stressed! ;)

But the queue is clearly themed to be inside TRON. And the awning lights up at night in a TRON fasion. And the portal into the Game Grid is just a plain hole in the side of a flat wall? And how do lightcycles exist outside the Grid?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom