The Edison--details announced

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The tunnel has always been there. It is being worked on but it's final use is still largely unknown. It could just end up being an offstage cast area again as it was prior to the Disney springs project. The last time I saw drawings of the area (on this forum btw) the main portion of the "tunnels" was kitchen freezers and prep areas. There was a dining area that wrapped around but it seemed to be questionable at to whether or not it would remain part of the final plan.

I assume he was referring to the Neverland Tunnels which was a restaurant/bar that was supposed to be build in those tunnels.

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...cluding-a-rumored-neverland-tunnels-speakeasy

njDizFan

I've been to The Edison twice, with younger family members who are very much SoCal hipsters. Both times I was invited because the "kids" in my family know I met the dress code when all those clothes were first in style, that I can still meet the dress code today, and that I would likely pick up the tab. I succeeded at all those things. :cool:

I usually order Sazeracs or Manhattans or Rusty Nails when I have a cocktail out, and both times the attractive and charming cocktail waitress dressed like a Burlesque Flapper convinced me to have one of their house specialty cocktails that are new twists on those old classics.

When a cocktail waitress at The Edison coos in your ear and upsells you, you go along for the ride.
slide_269486_1875669_free.jpg

You can also get a $60 glass of 30 year old Scotch, or $40 for a glass of high end Whiskey. My drinks were about twenty bucks (gorgeously served and very high quality), basic drinks cost in the teens, and the sharing appetizers were in the $20 to $35 dollar range, and that was five years ago. Plus cover charges, plus valet parking, plus healthy gratuities for parking guy, door host, and waitresses. It was fun, but not cheap.

While those were the prices for a downtown Los Angeles nightclub, some of the highest priced American real estate and cost of living outside of Manhattan, I can't imagine the Orlando location would be that much cheaper in 2017. They are building a huge custom built facility and will need to make that pencil out, whereas in LA they took over an unused and long abandoned electrical power plant and its basement and reused all the old equipment. I would think building the faux version of that in an Orlando mall would be more expensive than re-purposing the real thing in LA, but maybe I'm wrong.
Finding somewhere that makes a proper Sazerac in Orlando would be amazing. Usually I'll just order a bourbon Manhattan and hope for the best.

Kman101

I've said before, and I'm sure I'll say it again, but I really love the new balloon skin. It matches the colours and the "feel" of the springs so much better.

Can't wait to see it in person on Sunday.

I loved seeing the new color scheme up in the sky coming down the highway and entering the property. It looked much better, even if I also liked the old one as well.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, April 4. In this view under the old Pleasure Island bridge, work continues on the tunnel entrance (see the green oval at the far right in the photo outlining the roof to the entrance).

IMG_9426.JPG

In the below photo taken from the top of the bridge, the green oval outlines the same roof to the entrance.

IMG_9427.JPG

The lakeside view of The Edison. Some serious pipework accompanies the air conditioning units on the roof. As seen in recent photos, the old bypass pedestrian bridge has been removed.

IMG_9428.JPG

danlb_2000

Premium Member
We we told at one time that DS would be complete by Early Summer 2016 without qualifications. Then several projects became tagged as just "the Summer", then the Fall. Then Winter...

The Edison and the adjoining building have been in the plans since the start by they clearly went through some development issues which have delayed them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom