Access to Animal Kingdom Lodge Pools

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Hmm, well yes, they can, but my question is - should they? I don't visit any of the free events at the off-site hotels.
Disney sets the rules. If Disney doesn't prohibit...why not?

Before FP+, you didn't feel bad showing up for your FP after the end of the window, did you?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Disney sets the rules. If Disney doesn't prohibit...why not?
If they truly mean everyone and not just guests staying at that resort, then sure, no problem. If they mean only those staying at that resort, even if not specifically saying so, then integrity comes into play. Just because they do not specifically prohibit something, doesn't make it the right thing to do.

So I would ask you the same question. There has got to be a limit for the number of people that they will allow at a campfire. If your family walks up while you are staying at AKL - paying hundreds of dollars per night - and the CM tells you that they cannot fit you in because it is full - and many people are at the campfire that are not staying at AKL - would you be upset? Or would you just be fine with it, since Disney doesn't enforce the policy?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Disney doesn't enforce the policy?
Actually, I don't think there is a policy of "only resort guests". Nowhere has Disney posted or stated hopping for campfires is prohibited. And sites that I have reason to believe would not post information without checking have said Disney is OK with even off-site guests attending, so I think they asked and were told that it's OK. Maybe that's not true. If so, my views change with new information. I've only asked about Fort Wilderness and for that one, was told explicitly that all are welcome, FW guest or not.

Polydweller

Heck, one of our adult quirks is that we don't want to ever knowingly break the rules. Now I will agree that if they go to the front desk to discuss it, and the CMs make a special allowance for it - then sure - go for it.
The front desk does not control the access. The lifeguards are in charge of the pool area and the front desk will not override them. The safety of the pool area is the lifeguards' responsibility alone. If something happens, and it does albeit rarely, there would be no defence for having overridden the lifeguards.

21stamps

Thanks for the response. I knew they had added it to AoA but wasn't sure if it was a general resort thing or not.

I've been visiting since 1983 and have stayed at the vast majority of resorts on property. On every visit, without exception, I've always met folks at the pool area that were visiting from other resorts. This was especially true at the All Star Resorts and the resorts along the monorail line. A couple years ago, while at the Wilderness Lodge, I sat speaking to a couple who were there from the Contemporary and had hopped the boat to swim there ahead of their dining reservation. It wasn't that I "think I should be able to use the pool at a resort I'm not paying to stay at." Instead, I didn't look at it any differently than say, heading over to another resort to take a carriage ride, or use their boats, or rent a surrey bike. Those all cost money though so maybe they are bad examples... There are free things to do at each resort that you are welcome to come and participate in. Campfires are one that come to mind. Movies Under the Stars is another. Either way, there are quite a few across property. As such, it wasn't something I realized would be met with any problem. Resort pools are one thing on a very short list of activities that my autistic son tends to find comfort in so it was just a quick thought as something to do that night. I sincerely apologize for raising your dander on the subject or implying that this poor little value resort girl somehow had a right to deluxe accommodations. Not at all what was intended.

My son is infatuated with Poly's Volcano Slide. We stayed at Poly in 2015, but we stayed at GF in 2016, obviously couldn't go down the volcano slide.

I don't think it has anything to do with staying at a Value or not, just that resort pools should be for resort guests.

Poly has a gate, and even with that, recently they were checking all pool guests magic bands and issuing another resort wrist band to Poly guests. (I wasn't there, just read/saw photos on FB).,, pool hopping must be a major problem if they are going to those lengths to prevent it.

21stamps

If they truly mean everyone and not just guests staying at that resort, then sure, no problem. If they mean only those staying at that resort, even if not specifically saying so, then integrity comes into play. Just because they do not specifically prohibit something, doesn't make it the right thing to do.

So I would ask you the same question. There has got to be a limit for the number of people that they will allow at a campfire. If your family walks up while you are staying at AKL - paying hundreds of dollars per night - and the CM tells you that they cannot fit you in because it is full - and many people are at the campfire that are not staying at AKL - would you be upset? Or would you just be fine with it, since Disney doesn't enforce the policy?

This is where respect would have to come in to play. People should respect that there are guests of the actual resort that they are hanging out at. But, a lot don't. Because, Disney hasn't kicked them out.. so now that leads to more rules, regulations, gates, and added expense - which translates into Disney spending more money, and then raising prices for all of us. And then complaints.

One of my biggest factors in choosing a resort is-- the pool slide. Lol

surfsupdon

You can get into the pool for a swim easily, especially after dinner. Only the lifeguards will be present, the recreation crew will be elsewhere. The pools aren't busy in the evening/night, so MB scanners aren't walking around.

I am not giving my opinion, just answering the original question. Have fun.

surfsupdon

OMG, the Contemporary has a terrible slide! It is slow and fully exposed, most Moderates have a better set-up. The entire pool area is pretty standard. Now I have never stayed here, but did try it out as a kid when we were at Poly. ;-)

21stamps

OMG, the Contemporary has a terrible slide! It is slow and fully exposed, most Moderates have a better set-up. The entire pool area is pretty standard. Now I have never stayed here, but did try it out as a kid when we were at Poly. ;-)
I've stayed there a few times as a child, but we mostly stayed at Poly. I barely remember the Contemporary pool.. but I don't think my kid would be impressed lol

21stamps

Meh... I had never broken a bone so I was due. :D
I'm looking forward to going through the security checks once we are on property to see if I set off their detectors. I do the ones at our local amusement park (Carowinds).
I have a Cedar Fair Platinum pass this year.. I think Carowinds is included in that. How is it?
I've promised my kid that we will go to several of the parks. Our home park is Kings Island

Hopefully you won't set off the detectors.. I'm sure it might get annoying. My father has 2 metal hips and femur bone. He sets them off all of the time.. now he just laughs whenever they go somewhere lol

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Actually, I don't think there is a policy of "only resort guests". Nowhere has Disney posted or stated hopping for campfires is prohibited. And sites that I have reason to believe would not post information without checking have said Disney is OK with even off-site guests attending, so I think they asked and were told that it's OK. Maybe that's not true. If so, my views change with new information. I've only asked about Fort Wilderness and for that one, was told explicitly that all are welcome, FW guest or not.
I'll have to concede that one. Very possible that not a lot of people go to the campfire, so they allow anyone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom