DLR first visit from the eyes of a WDW veteran

Curious Constance

The lower two passes should be blocked out all my days! YAY!

We are actually arriving on the 17th, and will likely go that day when we get there. (bottom 3 levels will be blocked that day!)

BrianV

Original Poster
Naive question:. Isn't DLR blocking APs because of high crowd levels? Based on that I would have thought that days when APS were not blocked would be lower crowd level days.

I guess maybe it is a chicken and egg. Anyway, this was when we went because of a conference. And truly it was great. But would have been better with fewer crowds.

If you could pick 3 days to visit based on crowds and weather, when would it be?

GiveMeTheMusic

Naive question:. Isn't DLR blocking APs because of high crowd levels? Based on that I would have thought that days when APS were not blocked would be lower crowd level days.

I guess maybe it is a chicken and egg. Anyway, this was when we went because of a conference. And truly it was great. But would have been better with fewer crowds.

If you could pick 3 days to visit based on crowds and weather, when would it be?

At this point there are so many Annual Passholders that often, the best days to visit DLR are when as many pass blockouts are in effect as possible.

Curious Constance

Last time we went was in October of 2014 (!!!) and every day we were there it was 100 degree or more. It was a crazy heat wave that nearly destroyed my family. We were lucky to make it out of that trip alive!

TP2000

No, it's the exact opposite of your assumption. And it's been that way for years, but it seems to get more extreme with each passing year.

The lone exception to that rule is the two weeks of Christmas, which is absolutely nuts no matter how many people they try and block out.

If I were to pick a weekend to go to Disneyland, I would pick them in this order when Deluxe AP's and below are blocked out...
1. Memorial Day Weekend - cool weather and full summer schedule with very low crowds
2. July 4th Weekend - warmer but full summer schedule with extra patriotic shows, with modest crowds
3. Easter Weekend - sunny spring weather, full entertainment schedule, low crowds
4. Labor Day Weekend - usually hot, but still full summer schedule with very low crowds

BrianV

Original Poster
No, it's the exact opposite of your assumption. And it's been that way for years, but it seems to get more extreme with each passing year.

The lone exception to that rule is the two weeks of Christmas, which is absolutely nuts no matter how many people they try and block out.

If I were to pick a weekend to go to Disneyland, I would pick them in this order when Deluxe AP's and below are blocked out...
1. Memorial Day Weekend - cool weather and full summer schedule with very low crowds
2. July 4th Weekend - warmer but full summer schedule with extra patriotic shows, with modest crowds
3. Easter Weekend - sunny spring weather, full entertainment schedule, low crowds
4. Labor Day Weekend - usually hot, but still full summer schedule with very low crowds

Awesome. Wow. Sort of the opposite of WDW. 4th of July and Easter I would never go near WDW. Labor day isn't terrible but worse thanks the week days before and after. Another thing that makes my knowledge of WDW kind of useless. I'd like to take the kids to DLR sone day and labor day would I guess be a no brainier. No school in Boston. Until Wednesday after labor day!

TP2000

Awesome. Wow. Sort of the opposite of WDW. 4th of July and Easter I would never go near WDW. Labor day isn't terrible but worse thanks the week days before and after. Another thing that makes my knowledge of WDW kind of useless. I'd like to take the kids to DLR some day and labor day would I guess be a no brainier. No school in Boston. Until Wednesday after labor day!

Oh, you're from Boston? I lived in Acton for a few years in the early 90's, worked downtown at the Prudential Center. I bet the kids would love a trip to SoCal; talk about culture shock from New England! But you've got to go beyond a couple days at Disneyland and see the OC beaches, Palm Springs, Los Angeles/Hollywood, San Diego, etc.

BrianV

Original Poster
We've long been planning a two week vacation where we fly to SF and drive down to SD. Yes, so much to see. I've explored parts of the greater LA area (no insult intended by calling it that!) in the past as well as SF. But CA is so big there are so many things I'd like to see. Limited only by my money and time. :)

Oh, you're from Boston? I lived in Acton for a few years in the early 90's, worked downtown at the Prudential Center. I bet the kids would love a trip to SoCal; talk about culture shock from New England! But you've got to go beyond a couple days at Disneyland and see the OC beaches, Palm Springs, Los Angeles/Hollywood, San Diego, etc.

Yes ... seeing other parts of California is a must when you go! Disneyland is wonderful but it's just a part of the visit ....

Kman101

We've long been planning a two week vacation where we fly to SF and drive down to SD. Yes, so much to see. I've explored parts of the greater LA area (no insult intended by calling it that!) in the past as well as SF. But CA is so big there are so many things I'd like to see. Limited only by my money and time. :)

Agreed on money and time, LOL! I was last there in 2008 so I'm LONG overdue for a trip back (a few cruises and then limited funds prevented trips back and I'm going to New York at the end of the month for my birthday instead of hitting CA again). I had limited time and money and no car rental but I did what I could and hit some tourist traps in Hollywood (along with Venice Beach, the Walk of Fame, etc.). I only gave myself 5/6 days so I really would love to get more north, as everyone I told when I was going said I should see it, it's very different. I'm planning a trip again but I think Paris/Europe and Disneyland Paris might come first this year if I can swing it.

thomas998

Oh, to be clear we had a wonderful time! The Spring Break crowds were far bigger issue, but unavoidable. On the RSR they actually walked all of the guests off the ride mid-ride so I suspect it was more than a few effects not working. But I do appreciate the effort to keep everything in good shape. They didn't offer to give us replacement fast passes so we were in a bind...wait for an indefinite period or miss out on riding all together. When they finally gave us all fast passes we left--perhaps an hour or more after we'd arrived. But then that meant the FP line later was gigundous. I think we may actually have cut a portion by accident because it wrapped all through Cars World. Momentarily we felt quite defeated. Returned to the hotel for a swim and felt refreshed and ready for the evening.

I didn't mention how lovely all the details on main street and fantasy land in particular were. Mr. Toad's house was amazing. They fit a whole lot of charm into a lot smaller space.
Your experience isn't a one off, we've had bad luck with RSR before and that ride has now been shoved to our, "only if it is a short line" list because for us it is really just a reworking of Test Track as WDW and having waited for almost 4 hours because the ride would close, then reopen, then close again, over and over... our family decided it was too big of a risk to our limited vacation time to warrant any significant commitment.

And being walked off rides seems to happen more frequently at DL... We've probably spent twice as many days in WDW than DL but never experienced a walk off at WDW and had it twice at DL.

Professortango1

I remember going on the 4th of July and it was insane. The only time I've seen more people was New Years Eve. The entire park felt like Main Street after fireworks.

Figments Friend

I'm from the Boston area as well.
Small world, eh..?

I highly recommend doing a 'road trip' .
My first trip to California in 2007 I met up with out of State friends in the San Francisco area and we motored down to Orange County stopping at all the places of interest along the way over a few days time.
Had a absolutely awesome time..and saw so many incredible sights.
The scenery alone was stunning, and completely different then what you are likely used to in New England.

We drove from San Fran downwards...hitting San Jose, Monterey Bay, the Pacific Coast Highway, Hollywood, L.A. proper, and of course Disneyland.
I've always felt so lucky to have been 'introduced' to California in that way...just driving around with friends and experiencing everything we came across on the way as we went along.

It really is something I think everyone should have on their 'bucket list'.
Folks visiting the State are really missing out on a lot by just visiting one area.
There is a incredible variety of topographic choices.

In 2012 I returned with the same friends and we did another similar road trip, except this time we began in Orange Country and worked our way up to San Jose.
We talked about going further....all the way to Seattle, but time and money was against most of us in the group.
It was still a great trip...that ride right along the edge of the cliffs of the Pacific Coast is nothing short of breathtaking.

-

Last edited:

truecoat

Your experience isn't a one off, we've had bad luck with RSR before and that ride has now been shoved to our, "only if it is a short line" list because for us it is really just a reworking of Test Track as WDW and having waited for almost 4 hours because the ride would close, then reopen, then close again, over and over... our family decided it was too big of a risk to our limited vacation time to warrant any significant commitment.

And being walked off rides seems to happen more frequently at DL... We've probably spent twice as many days in WDW than DL but never experienced a walk off at WDW and had it twice at DL.

Reworking of Test Track? Sure they use the same ride vehicle but that's like saying The Haunted Mansion is just a reworking of Adventures Thru Inner Space.

thomas998

I tend to think like this too... at DL the AP folks often show up in droves when they get off work, so one strategy is on a day that is not blocked try to get there early and be ready for the real crowds to hit after 5:00 or 6:00.... also know that when the AP crowds start moving in they tend to hit the same areas hardest each time - Fantasmic and World of Color.... Don't ask my why, we've seen them both more than once and honestly once was really enough...but for some reason there are some people with APs that are addicted to them .

thomas998

Reworking of Test Track? Sure they use the same ride vehicle but that's like saying The Haunted Mansion is just a reworking of Adventures Thru Inner Space.

No it is really more like accepting the fact that Indy and Dinosaurs are basically the same ride with different overlays... Same is pretty much true of Test Track and RSR.... Granted the overlays are very different but the basic concept underlying it is the same for both. I would expect that if you pulled a car from RSR you could drop it on the Test Track and it would be fully functional.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom