Comparisons To Expedition Everest Drop

TBrass84

Original Poster
So, long story short, I'm a big weenie. 32 years old, and only in last couple of years have I even been brave enough to get on the mildest of roller coasters like Seven Dwarves. I'm going to WDW in June, and trying to talk myself into EE. I live in Texas, and have been to SDC in Branson before, where I recently rode Thunderation, which is advertised as having an 81' drop, though it never seemed so bad. Has anyone rode both TNT and EE before to let me know if it is roughly the same? I'm fine with tight turns and helixes, it's just the drops, as both a combination of angle and height that bug me. Thanks.

AndyS2992

I don't ride big coasters that much because like yourself I'm a big baby but all the coasters at Disney are fine. Everest isn't bad at all and the drop lasts all of two seconds plus it's curved so the 'dropping' sensation you usually feel is weakened. I don't really have anything to compare it to but trust me it's really not that intense at all. If you can ride Big Thunder Mountain then you really shouldn't have any issues :)

TBrass84

Original Poster
Thanks. I've no issues with Thunder Mountain...was actually the first "roller coaster" i rode of my own free will back in 1999. Just wasn't sure if fair comparison since that ride really has no drops at all.

TBrass84

Original Poster
I don't ride big coasters that much because like yourself I'm a big baby but all the coasters at Disney are fine. Everest isn't bad at all and the drop lasts all of two seconds plus it's curved so the 'dropping' sensation you usually feel is weakened. I don't really have anything to compare it to but trust me it's really not that intense at all. If you can ride Big Thunder Mountain then you really shouldn't have any issues :)
One other thought I had. I've watched videos on YouTube, but none show much good detail for the backwards part. How is that in terms of droppage?

NiarrNDisney

One other thought I had. I've watched videos on YouTube, but none show much good detail for the backwards part. How is that in terms of droppage?

Honestly the backward drop is all in the dark and you cant see anything though I will say it too is mild mostly just a shock of going backwards in a turn in the dark.
Also I think its more about where you sit for instance if you sit in the very front you will have the initial "scare" of seeing the drops first but the train is catching up behind you so its more of a smoother ride. However this changes during the backward drop.
The very back is usually the roughest seat as you are being pulled along by the train and since Everest is supposed to be an old tea train the ride has a rickety feel. (once again this changes during the backward drop)
Your best bet would be to sit somewhere in the middle of the train where you will have an "even" sensation between the to extremes.

KBLovedDisney

My opinion of WDW intense roller coaster comparisons:

EE - Intense (escpecially the backwards part) and even more so at night
ToT - Intense, multiple drops that take ones stomach
SpaceM - Calm compared to EE and ToT; it has maybe one big drop but it fails in comparison to EE for the hill drop
SplashM - Calm with one medium drop in the end
Rockin Rollercoaster - Intense, most of which is the beginning shoot off

(And just FYI - these are all very fun!)

P.S. Simulators are not listed because I can't do them at all. I get terrible vertigo. I can ride roller coasters all day that flip upside down and what not, but simulators throw off my equilibrium like no tomorrow.

P.S.S. I was a huge scaredy cat of roller coasters until I got on Top Gun in Carowinds (when that ride was properly named IMO). You will always have the pre-ride-butterflies regardless of what ride you go on next...heck I get pre-ride-butterflies before I go on PoC still

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
The backwards drop in the dark with the angled curved track can be disorienting. But because most of the ride occurs in the mountain structure, you never really feel like you're exposed on a high platform... except for the momentary traipse across the bridge...

TBrass84

Original Poster
Thank you all for your comments. My wife tells me I over-analyze things and should just enjoy stuff, but my mind just wants to know lol. I'm hoping that the angles aren't that difference between the 81' drop at TNT in Branson, and the 80' drop at EE, 'cause I do fine on the former.

Doug Means

i have done both. they are very comparable is stress level except for the backwards part. I actually love them both, but the backwards part makes EE a little more intense

spacemt354

Chili's
The intensity of the drop really isn't that bad (I think Splash Mountain, even though it's 30 feet less) gives you a more intense feeling on the drop due to the angle. Everest's drop is less steep and therefore you don't feel it as much.

But like others have been saying -- the backwards part is the most 'intense' - but still not as bad as some of the Universal roller coasters or even Rock n Roller Coaster. You do turn while going backwards in the dark.

Good luck! -- I think you'll enjoy it! Hardest part is just convincing yourself.

Tiny Arms

As others have stated, the drop isn't all that bad. It looks pretty steep & intimidating, but honestly it doesn't last that long at all!
I always freak out more over the backwards part on EE (moreso the first half of it) - honestly, sometimes I've felt like I was going to black out & couldn't breathe because of how the motion is messing with me (curving upwards whilst simultaneously going backwards). IMO, it's a million times more intense than the drop. It's actually made me not want to ride it anymore because it worries me that much :oops: However, that's just how I personally have experienced it; I know tons of other people don't view it nearly as harsh as I do, ha.
Not trying to freak out you, & I apologize if I deter you from trying it. It's a great attraction & I hope you'll experience it at least once to see if you like it :) !

thomas998

So, long story short, I'm a big weenie. 32 years old, and only in last couple of years have I even been brave enough to get on the mildest of roller coasters like Seven Dwarves. I'm going to WDW in June, and trying to talk myself into EE. I live in Texas, and have been to SDC in Branson before, where I recently rode Thunderation, which is advertised as having an 81' drop, though it never seemed so bad. Has anyone rode both TNT and EE before to let me know if it is roughly the same? I'm fine with tight turns and helixes, it's just the drops, as both a combination of angle and height that bug me. Thanks.

I've ridden both... I don't really like Thunderation because the extended high speed turns make me a little queasy sometimes.... I have no issues like that with EE. EE is more intense though... because with EE you have the dark portions and the going backwards.... though honestly the going backwards is not that bad at all. I would say you would be okay on EE but would suggest you try to get car toward the back, then the big drops will happen quicker than in the front where you will go very slowly over the top and have what feels like extended hang time before you drop... in the back you just basically get pulled up and over quicker.

Did you ride any of the other coasters at Silver Dollar City? Thunderation is probably not what I could think of as a comparable coaster to EE...

Tom 55

For many years I was like you. I would find a way to stay behind when my wife went on the trill rides. When I finally went on them I realized that my imagination of how scary the rides were going to be was so much more than what it actual was. I have been on all the trill rides and have gone on most of them multiple time. I did TT twice and it is the only one I have to really be in the mood to do again. I can handle rides that you are securely belted in. TT does not make me feel safe with the little lap strap.

thomas998

You know if you live in Texas just stop by Six Flags before you go and ride Runaway Mountain, it is probably a closer approximation to what you would experience on EE only leaving out the backwards part.

Myth Maker

The drop on EE looks intense from the viewing platform, but is extremely mild on the ride itself. One of the weakest drops of that height I have ever been on. And trust me, I have ridden well over 150+ roller coasters.

If you rode Thunderation you will have no problem on EE.

TARDIS

In comparison to SDC's thunderation, you feel the drop a bit more(not bad at all though). Thunderation also feels faster and is super jerky which is not the case with EE.The backwards portion is usually deemed the worst part but after the initial thrill of going backwards it's pretty tame. If you ever rode thunderation at SDC before they got rid of the backwards option it's a bit more g force but smooth not jerky. Hope that helps! I think it's worth trying EE it's a fun ride that looks meaner than it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom