News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

raven

I wonder how long the leases are on those high end shops. It seems when those leases come up for renewal is when we'll start getting our first real feel for how this overhaul is really faring. Disney will definitely care if those shops are successful or they'll end up looking like everyone's local mall with empty shops and "for lease" signs all over the place.
And Orlando has seen that several times already. Festival Bay/Artegon anyone? :eek:

Kman101

I wonder how long the leases are on those high end shops. It seems when those leases come up for renewal is when we'll start getting our first real feel for how this overhaul is really faring. Disney will definitely care if those shops are successful or they'll end up looking like everyone's local mall with empty shops and "for lease" signs all over the place.

I imagine they'd try and cleverly hide the empty storefronts if they can. I doubt we'll see a lot of empty storefronts with "for lease" on the door LOL but I'm with you on this

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My guess is that as long as the businesses are making money they will renew the leases. If they are not they will be out of business. I don't see too many stores deciding not to renew leases to open somewhere else.

21stamps

My guess is that as long as the businesses are making money they will renew the leases. If they are not they will be out of business. I don't see too many stores deciding not to renew leases to open somewhere else.

Maybe it's just me, but if I was at DS, I would much rather buy a Star Wars UA shirt for my kid rather than a Disney one that he will never wear again. I have all of those stores where I live, but the Anthropologie looks huge, and there are plenty of tourists who don't have an Anthropologie near them.. I could see people buying things there- again, that they will get more use out of, or even a Kate Spade bag at that store if they don't have one nearby. Typically these stores will have a few items that are different than even what's in someone's local store. So even then I could see someone doing an impulse buy.

I don't think most of these stores will fail. They're not crazy prices, I'm always a little shocked when I read that the Disney vacationer isn't in that income bracket.. maybe I'm wrong, but I would think a large amount of Disney travelers are definitely in that demographic.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Maybe it's just me, but if I was at DS, I would much rather buy a Star Wars UA shirt for my kid rather than a Disney one that he will never wear again. I have all of those stores where I live, but the Anthropologie looks huge, and there are plenty of tourists who don't have an Anthropologie near them.. I could see people buying things there- again, that they will get more use out of, or even a Kate Spade bag at that store if they don't have one nearby. Typically these stores will have a few items that are different than even what's in someone's local store. So even then I could see someone doing an impulse buy.

I don't think most of these stores will fail. They're not crazy prices, I'm always a little shocked when I read that the Disney vacationer isn't in that income bracket.. maybe I'm wrong, but I would think a large amount of Disney travelers are definitely in that demographic.
Honestly, anyone with a credit card is in the demographic. Plenty of Disney vacationers can't actually afford the Disney vacation they are on so why not spend on high end clothing too.

I think families with kids are less likely to spend time shopping for non-souvenir items. I know my kids would be ready to kill my wife if she tried to drag us into a clothing store on vacation. I guess people can always split up. "We'll be playing in the Lego store while you go shopping"

wdwfan22

While some don't fit into the income bracket of a few of the Disney springs stores there are still plenty that do. Some of those stores are doing quite well. I think the big difference is that Orlando locals and Disney Cast Members don't fit into the new income bracket of Disney Springs like they did with the old Downtown Disney.

21stamps

Honestly, anyone with a credit card is in the demographic. Plenty of Disney vacationers can't actually afford the Disney vacation they are on let so why not spend on high end clothing too.

I think families with kids are less likely to spend time shopping for non-souvenir items. I know my kids would be ready to kill my wife if she tried to drag us into a clothing store on vacation. I guess people can always split up. "We'll be playing in the Lego store while you go shopping"

But do you think families spending $300+ per night on a hotel room, plus the tickets, are really not the same families who shop at these stores when not at WDW? Maybe I'm way off base.. but I don't think the majority of people there are living off of credit cards and can't afford a pair of "high end" socks, Under Armour clothing, a sundress from Anthropologie, or a handbag who's price is not really out of control. It's Kate Spade, not Gucci.

South Beach as a comparison,SoBe has plenty of high end designer stores, and they have plenty of mid range stores (similar to Disney Springs), when my sister was in college and would visit me during spring break.. she loved to go to the JCrew, American Eagle, Hollister, and American Apparel in SoBe.. same stores she has at home same prices, bigger selection.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But do you think families spending $300+ per night on a hotel room, plus the tickets, are really not the same families who shop at these stores when not at WDW? Maybe I'm way off base.. but I don't think the majority of people there are living off of credit cards and can't afford a pair of "high end" socks, Under Armour clothing, a sundress from Anthropologie, or a handbag who's price is not really out of control. It's Kate Spade, not Gucci.
I think they are the same people who shop at those stores outside of WDW, but some may not want to spend a lot of time shopping while at WDW. Not sure it's the majority who live off credit cards, but it's not an insignificant group. As far as Disney is concerned, what's the difference. It's a free country and people can spend how they choose.

wdwfan22

Honestly, anyone with a credit card is in the demographic. Plenty of Disney vacationers can't actually afford the Disney vacation they are on so why not spend on high end clothing too.

That's funny because in my family they would rather shop in the higher end stores then buy a cheap Disney tee that they will never wear again after they leave.

21stamps

That's funny because in my family they would rather shop in the higher end stores then buy a cheap Disney tee that they will never wear again after they leave.
Ditto. But I'm the mean mom who's kid did not have one Disney themed shirt on his first trip. Instead, he wore different colors of basically the same vneck tee everyday.lol. His second trip I gave in and actually bought some Disney themed ones- it was a waste of money. All but the Star Wars (non Disney brand) and Pirate's one (that we bought while there) haven't been touched since. I have more of a problem with paying for a Mickey shirt from the Disney store- that ends up being a one time use item, than paying a little bit more for something that actually gets worn a few times.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have 2 boys who are 7 and 10. Shopping for them centers around Toys R Us and Dicks Sporting Goods at home.

This may just be me, but I can't see spending hundreds of dollars a night on a room and even more on park tickets and spending a lot of time shopping at a mall. I understand that not everyone has kids with them when visiting WDW and if I was alone or with just my wife I could maybe see spending more time there. I still think convention and international tourists are a big part of the targeted demographic.

raven

South Beach as a comparison,SoBe has plenty of high end designer stores, and they have plenty of mid range stores (similar to Disney Springs), when my sister was in college and would visit me during spring break.. she loved to go to the JCrew, American Eagle, Hollister, and American Apparel in SoBe.. same stores she has at home same prices, bigger selection.
Well South Beach, Vegas, Rodeo Drive and 5th Avenue in NYC are places that people seek out to shop for high end merchandise. Usually when people think of Walt Disney World they think of princesses, Mickey and family attractions. Perhaps seeing these merchants here throw people for a loop because it's not what they were expecting to see. Not a bad thing, just not expected. In that case I think the impulse buyer would be exactly who they may be targeting.

21stamps

I have 2 boys who are 7 and 10. Shopping for them centers around Toys R Us and Dicks Sporting Goods at home.

This may just be me, but I can't see spending hundreds of dollars a night on a room and even more on park tickets and spending a lot of time shopping at a mall. I understand that not everyone has kids with them when visiting WDW and if I was alone or with just my wife I could maybe see spending more time there. I still think convention and international tourists are a big part of the targeted demographic.

My kid will be 7 this month, he likes clothes..but he's starting to rebel against my chosen style for him. He'd rather shop at Dick's or UA, but find him a "cool" Star Wars shirt, and he's all about it.lol.

We skipped DS last trip. Had planned to go see the drones, but we were just too tired. Clothes shopping wouldn't be the center or highlight of our trip, but I can understand why people would be attracted to those stores. If I would have been there we definitely would have looked for a more unique item than what we have at home. I try to do that here anyway.

ETA - why is a sporting goods store starred out?

wdwfan22

I think for us we have been so many times that we don't feel the need to be in the parks every waking moment. We go for a few hours and then head out to shop eat and play at the resort. This is the main reason we will spend what they ask for a room at the deluxe resorts because we are there more then the average family.

21stamps

Well South Beach, Vegas, Rodeo Drive and 5th Avenue in NYC are places that people seek out to shop for high end merchandise. Usually when people think of Walt Disney World they think of princesses, Mickey and family attractions. Perhaps seeing these merchants here throw people for a loop because it's not what they were expecting to see. Not a bad thing, just not expected. In that case I think the impulse buyer would be exactly who they may be targeting.

I agree, but you have a lot of people who visit and can't afford certain stores.. my sister was a "broke college student" so she wasn't shopping at the high end designer stores, she just liked the size and selections of the "more affordable" ones that I mentioned. Items from these stores were her "souvenirs", even though she had the same brands where she lived.

For families like mine- who don't like all of the loud Disney themed clothes, the DS stores are probably a welcome addition. A nice pair of unique socks or tees etc would be a better use of money than some other "souvenirs" that are also sold at DS.

21stamps

I think for us we have been so many times that we don't feel the need to be in the parks every waking moment. We go for a few hours and then head out to shop eat and play at the resort. This is the main reason we will spend what they ask for a room at the deluxe resorts because we are there more then the average family.

I'm not there a lot, but we definitely aren't open to close park people.. even before I had my son. I enjoy spending time at the resort.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah I can see spending time at the resort and eating. Shopping is only something I do when I absolutely have to. I enter a physical store only when the item I seek is not available on Amazon Prime;) I know I'm not exactly normal about that and I understand that other people like shopping. It's just not that appealing to me so I'm hopelessly biased when it comes to this topic.

21stamps

Yeah I can see spending time at the resort and eating. Shopping is only something I do when I absolutely have to. I enter a physical store only when the item I seek is not available on Amazon Prime;) I know I'm not exactly normal about that and I understand that other people like shopping. It's just not that appealing to me so I'm hopelessly biased when it comes to this topic.

I agree with you on that. I'm not one to spend hours shopping.. some people are, I walk in, do a quick eye scan, and if I see something appealing-I beeline to it- then get out.lol. I'm one of the few people who actually love sales people, I wish Target had one stationed at every section, and stores like Macy's give me a mild panic attack.lol.

I just had a planner same day delivered to my work (hooray amazon!)..so at home I am even less likely to spend time shopping than when I'm on a vacay. I don't think I've been to an actual mall since before Christmas. On vacation I'm in less of a constant hurry than I am at home.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I liked the new Disney springs... largely because it was not a maze of crowds like it was last time I was there. Certainly an improvement over the carcass it was before. I think the theming is largely a miss... but it looks nice and is not distracting (tho I think the random elevated tracks are a huge miss). The investment in the boathouse waterfront is duly impressive!

I have zero interest in most of the shops but it serves its purpose. Like that day I had to hit guest relations and kill a few hours. It worked great for that.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

You too for me pretty much everything comes from Amazon prime and LL Bean i just dont have the time or inclination to deal with lightly staffed stores anymore

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom