25th Anniversary Trip Report

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
I spent 5 nights at Hotel Chyenne this past week and have all kinds of thoughts and opinions on the current status of the resort. So much so, that it would be hard to put it in the traditional day-by-day narrative. Instead, I'll simply make a series of points a few posts at a time and then post some pictures at the end. Hopefully it will all make sense...

- The Parks were much busier than I expected, I think this was both because of the start of the 25th, but there were also a number of school groups and Spanish tourists as well

- Speaking of which, the resort does not seem to be very well equipped to handle the volume of Spanish tourists who visit. Many could not understand the instructions being given to them in English and French and as a result were delaying the start of some rides like ToT

- The new rooms at Hotel Chyenne were excellent for a 2-star property. The pull out sofa gives the room a lot more floor space and the bathroom was a good size as well. The main building is looking a bit tired, but I think it'll be done after the rooms are finished in the summer. The main walking path to the parks was blocked off for construction, which made commuting to the parks by foot a little longer than I would have liked (having been used to staying around Lake Disney)

- By 7:20am every day the breakfast buffet was really crowded. You absolutley need to get there when it opens at 7:00am if you want your food and a table with any kind of ease

- Early entry line up for Disneyland Parc has changed since I last went. It was Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Carousel, Buzz, Dumbo, Orbitron, the Main Street Vehicles and the upper level of the castle this time

- Merchandise selection is much better than when I first went in 2013. Then it was only junk in all the stores, but now there's more attraction specific stuff and collectible items. I liked the 25th things, but I ended up not buying any of them...

-...except for the book Disneyland Paris de A a Z which is gorgeous and a must buy for any DLP fan! This year it comes in a nice hard cardboard sleeve and with a replica of the Euro Disneyland commemorative one-day passport in its own Euro Disney Resort envelope. Like 20 Years of Dreams, the text inside is in both English and French

Kman101

Also looking forward to the rest ... currently hoping to plan a trip there this year!! (And I very much plan to include other parts of Europe in that visit!) It could very well end up pushed to early next year but I hope not .... so any info is very welcome

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
- Newport By Club looks beautiful. This was my first time seeing the inside since the renovation, and it's a major improvement. I know Disneyland Hotel is also beautiful and closer to the parks, but I feel like this is the place to stay at DLP when you consider price and amenities

- Cafe Mickey is now just sitting empty in Disney Village since the characters have moved to Plaza Gardens. Hopefully this will be fixed soon

- There are now two sets of 12" x 18" attraction posters for sale in the parks. The new set comes with the updated Star Tours and other rides

- RnRC is definately better in DLP. Instead of plywood glow-in-the-dark cutouts they have lighting rigs that change colour depending upon which song is played. Looks cool in person. Pre-show is almost non-existant though. Like not even 30 seconds long. But the ride really bangs your head around. Whatever new trains SM is getting, this needs them too

- Mickey and the Magician is the best new thing at DLP. Even if it plays like a "best of Disney Broadway" show, the acts and effects are top notch. If you're only going for one day and are on the fence about getting a hopper ticket, it's worth it for this one show alone

- Single Rider at Crush doesn't shorten the wait that much, but it's nice to have

- Resturant des Stars was a surprisingly decent buffet. Interior is...plain (to put it one way), but the selection was good.

- ToT gift shop had almost no ToT merch :confused:

- The Studio Tram Tour is 80% worthless, but it was great to see Catastrophe Canyon with all its effects working. It still gets a reaction from the crowds almost 30 years after debuting in Florida

- The friend of Spider-Man I met was great! Had the voice and attitude for the character down perfectly. If they want to load up this park with Marvel stuff I'm all for it, so long as it doesn't come at the expense of ToT

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
So CineMagique had its final show on Wednesday March 29th at 4:45pm and I was in the park that day having dinner at Remy. Completely unaware of the fact that:

a) Guests were given special free tickets marking the time and place of the show
b) Tony Baxter was in the audience

Had I know, I would have gone again!

JDL30

Thanks for the updates - I'm off the first week of June. My last visit was over New Year 4 months ago, so interested to see what it is like with all the 25th sparkle (minus Pirates, but off again in September so will have the full set).

Really hope this is the start of the DLPR turnaround...

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
- Security was very much visible around the train station. Men in camo with big guns, dogs with muzzles, it'sobviously tight around the resort

- Buses from the hotel ran every 10-15 minutes and only took a few minutes to get to the TGV/RER station. Bag check was more crowded here than in Disney Village (from the Lake Disney hotels) because everyone from the parking lot, trains and buses goes through here

- I bought two t-shirts and put them through low heat in the dryer and they still shrunk, one not too much, but now I can't wear the other one. Be warned and hang dry these when you get home. I've never had this issue with shirts purchased from the US Disney and UNI parks

- The TGV is the fastest way to get from CGD airport to Disney (10 minutes flat), but it was delayed coming back and that made coming home more hectic. Book your seat well in advance to avoid any problems.

- Bag check at CGD was terrible. All confusion, (nearly) all self-serve and poorly organized queuing and lack of information. Given the higher security risks, this should not be the case. Nearly missed my flight due to long lines, and will only be doing carry-on next time (like the last two)

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
- Disney Stars on parade is great! Better than it's predecessor. Maybe one or two more floats would be better, but not too much to complain about besides Prince Phillip's costume, which is not like FoF, but is instead his usual, frumpy black and pink garb

- Starlit Princess Waltz is everything the title implies. Cool to see Aurora be in the stoplight for a Princess revue, as she's usually ignored or just there. If you're not into twirling dresses, it's not for you, but those in the target demo should love it

- Happy Anniversary Disneyland is like the old Kids of the Kingdom shows at WDW, where they go through each land of the park with the characters and have costume changes for the different segments. Worth seeing for sure.

- Disney Illuminations works for what it is, and the blance of effects and pyro looks great when you're standing in the hub. I know everyone here is sick of Frozen, but any time Elsa showed up here or elsewhere in the resort, there was an audible reaction from the crowd. People eat this stuff up and it's clearly not just an American thing.

- On the last night of my visit I was walking through Town Square just as Celine Dion was singing "How Does a Moment Last Forever", surrounded by the popcorn lights and getting my last look at the park for the day. The timing was so perfect it was like something out of a commercial, and made for an unusually bittersweet moment

The Empress Lilly

- The Parks were much busier than I expected, I think this was both because of the start of the 25th, but there were also a number of school groups and Spanish tourists as well
DLP is packed lately. In Jan / Feb I was expecting walk-ons. Instead I arrived to 70 minute waits on a Monday, in near freezing temperature.

All my recent trips, in autumn, winter and spring, on off-season weekdays, saw massive crowds. More than long lines owing to closed rides could account for. Alas, it seems DLP has gone the way of the American and Japan resorts. Massive crowds, both parks, all the time, the off-seasons succesfully filled in. :'(

Also, I'm still miffed I found out so late about Cinemagique's pending closure. Disney should give the fans more time than a few weeks before announcing a closure. Would've loved one last show.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Enjoying your impressions and thoughts on your recent visit, as Disneyland Paris has been on my mind recently.
I've been looking into maybe making a trip over to experience it for myself after years of reading about it and watching from afar.
Just the other day I went as far as to price out a trip, and was surprised to discover it is not at all that much more then what I currently pay out for trips to California.
Any tips for a first timer such as myself..?

I'm looking forward to your photos.
DLP does indeed seem to live up to it's title of being the 'most beautiful' of all the Disney Theme Parks.
Would like to experience it for myself someday.

:)

-

GiveMeTheMusic

- On the last night of my visit I was walking through Town Square just as Celine Dion was singing "How Does a Moment Last Forever", surrounded by the popcorn lights and getting my last look at the park for the day. The timing was so perfect it was like something out of a commercial, and made for an unusually bittersweet moment

OMG this sounds so amazing. I would have cried.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
- Agrabah Cafe is worth eating at just to see the interior alone. It used to be a kind of indoor shopping bazzar, but now the shops are dining rooms, but still have their original look. Buffet spread is good too (with some stuff for picky eaters), and this is included on the standard meal plan

- Walt's is far and above the quality of anything you'll find in Florida's Magic Kingdom (service or food). Still a very special place, but it now seems a bit more upscale. It's no longer included on the Plus meal plan (Premium only). Was tempted, but did not try the (non-alcohoic) cotton candy cocktail

- Cowboy Cookout BBQ is one of these places that's only open on weekends or during peak periods. Ribs are fine, but they have a band there that plays from time to time which is cool

- Silver Spur Steakhouse served a somewhat chewy meat, but I found that to be true for all DLP restaurants. Another place that looks neat on the inside

- Blue Lagoon is also closed with Pirates, but that makes sense

- Cafe Fantasia and the Disneyland Hotel in general might be the best thing at the resort. Worth visiting, even if you aren't staying there.

- Cape Cod's dinner buffet (at Newport Bay Club) has a chocolate fountain in case that's important to you

- Meal plan vouchers can be put towards the cost of food and (non alcoholic) drinks at Disney owned restaurants. If you can get a package with free dining, take it! Food is even more insanely priced here than stateside (same goes for merch...it's like they copied the numbers and replaced $ with the Euro symbol)

- As of now there is no longer a "Tea Time Treat" (hot drink or water bottle with donught or ice cream bar) for those on a dining plan. I was among the last guests to get it as I checked in before March 28

- Breakfast is also no longer included with your hotel stay (boo!) as of Mar 28. You get it though with any meal plan

- Crowds and free dining made it harder to get reservations. Since they can only be done via phone in advance, I would suggest making them as soon as you arrive.

- Hotel concierge can no longer make park dining reservations (?!). Must do so at Studio Guest relations, City Hall (always has a line) or at the specific location

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly of Disneyland Parc

Good:

- Many rides look brand new! Star Tours, Small World, Big Thunder Mountain, Storybookland, it's a BIG difference from only a couple years ago. Other buildings like Ribbions & Bows, Fort Comstock, Main St. station, the river in Fantasyland, also look fresh and colourful. The pool the Nautilus sits in is so clean it's like a swimming pool (probably more so than some hotels). I never knew the chimneys in Peter Pan's load area blew smoke

- Fresh flowers were being planted everywhere. This always happens this time, but it's nice to be there when it does. Magnolia (or similar) trees where also in bloom

- Cast was unfiormly nice. No "typical" rude CMs in my experience

- Fantasia Gardens now has its own music loop

- Gysers in Frontierland!

- Park announcements now specifically mentioning smoking areas and to only do so in them

- New(ish) Mickey meet and greet in Fantasyland is actually really well done. line is in a great looking movie theatre with cartoon clips

Bad:

- Some effects not working, off the top of my head: third lift smoke blast on BTMRR, some pop up figures and the jumping fountains in the Aice maze, some stiff catacomb skeletons in Phantom Manor, Squid mostly static in Nautilus and no iris window effect

- Pirate Ship closed off to guests

- Carousel horses, Orbitron and Dumbo cars could all do with some sanding and painting

- No music or narration on RR (mybe just my train?)

- Why is the Main St. ice cream shop only open on weekends? Seems like it would always be popular

Ugly:

- Mad Hatter's Tea Cups. Can barely spin them, looks flithy, in dire need of new paint, lanterns, very ghetto looking. Should have been addressed before the 25th. Stands out more because of how nice everything else is

felipenor

- Why is the Main St. ice cream shop only open on weekends? Seems like it would always be popular
One of my biggest issues with DLP was the food options. Was there last January, the parks were crowded as others have mentioned before (with wait lines up to 100 minutes) and most of the food carts were "closed." Ice cream shop closed, many restaurants closed. Do Europeans not eat? And this being in France I expected a lot of nice food on the few carts or stands that were open. Instead it was basically just popcorn and chips. Do you expect fancy French desserts? Well, here you get Haribo re-packaged candy and Nutella Go. That was rather disappointing.

Figments Friend

It's one of those things I've been thinking about over the last few years, and now that I realize it's not all that much more then what I already pay out yearly for a trip to a Stateside Park it's been on my mind even more.

Add into the mix me being a huge fan of Tony Baxter...and this is after all 'his Park'...I am feeling the pull to take the plunge and go for it at some point in the upcoming future.

I've read the basics, read a few tips online, but nothing beats actual fan feedback here on this Forum.
This is where you get 'the facts' you REALLY need to know from folks who have experience in such matters.

Take your time, I'm all ears.
Looking forward to Animaniacs' photos!
:)

-

Kman101

Pretty much how I feel as well. It's pretty comparable and surprisingly affordable, at least it seems to be. Of course I'm local to WDW so I don't have to fly, or often stay in a room [but I've started taking mini-trips there instead of day trips] so it's a little different, but it's kind of pushed me to get out there. To me, Disneyland Paris's castle park is the 'ideal' castle park, and it's no surprise it's "Tony's park" so ... can't wait to experience it. Especially now that they've put some money into it getting it where it should be and the anniversary celebration as well. It's probably going to be in October for me so I can experience their Halloween stuff (will they mix the anniversary decor with the Halloween stuff?). It could also end up being early next year, so we'll see ...

Does their regular parade play during this time? Do they run both or one or the other?

Ag11gani

Pretty much how I feel as well. It's pretty comparable and surprisingly affordable, at least it seems to be. Of course I'm local to WDW so I don't have to fly, or often stay in a room [but I've started taking mini-trips there instead of day trips] so it's a little different, but it's kind of pushed me to get out there. To me, Disneyland Paris's castle park is the 'ideal' castle park, and it's no surprise it's "Tony's park" so ... can't wait to experience it. Especially now that they've put some money into it getting it where it should be and the anniversary celebration as well. It's probably going to be in October for me so I can experience their Halloween stuff (will they mix the anniversary decor with the Halloween stuff?). It could also end up being early next year, so we'll see ...

Does their regular parade play during this time? Do they run both or one or the other?

For thr halloween things, I have no idea if they are going to do a halloween decorations, but I'd assume that they will mix them in with the 25th stuff. Their halloween parade only has three floats, but it has great music, costumes, characters, so it is definitely worth watching. Although I feel like they might re-do some of the Magic on Parade floats for either Halloween or Christmas. They run both parades, due to the halloween parade being short it is usally run 3 or 4 times a day, with the regular parade being at 5 or 5.30. They have a villans stage show, but I do not know if they will do that as for their anniversary they have two new castle stage shows. They may run that show at night though.

If you're into characters they have Mickey and Co in halloween outfits, as well as a couple others such as Stitch and Marie. You can easily meet villans such as Maleficent, Jafar, Cruella, Frollo, the Hag, Gaston, Evil Queen, Lady Tremain, Anistasia, Drizella, Dr Facillier, Captain Hook, Queen of Hearts. Jack Skellington also does meets, as well as the Chesire Cat, who is a DLP exclusive character (at the moment).

Den Carter

During the Halloween season DLP still runs the regular parade and there's an additional Halloween 'cavalcade' a few times a day along the parade route, which is cute. Halloween at DLP has a great vibe, and the weather is usually pleasant. Don't expect festivities on the scale of the US parks, as Halloween just isn't really a big deal here in Europe. On Halloween itself there's a big party with special fireworks (with an extra charge), which is the closest we have to a Mickey's Not So Scary equivalent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom