New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

dreamscometrue

I agree with the show's choice of theme. And the choice not to use characters.

Both Bob and I commented on how we realized after RoL how much Disney uses fireworks to pep up the other shows.
I saw it with 13 others 2 weeks ago. I knew what to expect, but the others said how much they enjoyed a show without fireworks. I think every single person was surprised by that. It was noted by some that Disney had to compensate for lack of fireworks by essentially giving us non stop activity for 16 minutes. We loved it!

Last edited:

brb1006

As usual, I'll be the one adult who appreciates characters in these things - at Disney World.

It may have been hard to make out on the water screen, but I'm pretty sure there was a blue tang fish (like Dory) that popped up for a moment, and that was the moment I elbowed DH because he likes Nemo & Dory, and that was the first Disney movie we watched together (at his insistence) over 10 years ago.

If it was the cartoon version, that wouldn't have taken anything away for me. I'm at Disney World, after all.

How many more people would have had that moment if their favorite animal characters popped up for a flash?

That does not dumb things down; that does not only appeal to children. That does not corrupt or mar the show in any way. It's Disney World.
But Rivers Of Light is the first time WDW did a show in a long time that is not using IP's since Illuminations Reflections Of Earth and Tapestry of Nations.

brb1006

Part of me wants to believe this is a sarcastic post, but i know it's not.

While i support change, i would hope for the general theme of the show and seriousness of the show to stay the same. ROL is a fantastic statement of what Animal Kingdom is. Any how, what do they think Preschool aged children would like? Do you know if the new show will focus mainly on characters? I would be totally fine with a live action character on screens for a second or two mixed with Disney nature footage.
Yeah but a live action character (The Jungle Book show that ran months ago) doesn't translate well with water screens and you could barely make out the scene or whats going on.

FigmentJedi

Yeah but a live action character (The Jungle Book show that ran months ago) doesn't translate well with water screens and you could barely make out the scene or whats going on.
That's more of an issue that they did almost nothing to process and optimize the movie footage to work better for water screens.

Rivers of Light's projections are almost all documentary footage from the DisneyNature films, but they had the sense to highlight and accent the animals they had cut from their original surroundings. Like there's a bit of a glow on outlines and you have the firefly spots surrounding them.

rushtest4echo

I know I've said it before but it bears repeating after I've seen the show 10+ times- the back projections and lasers look pretty darn good from the bridge. In fact, I think those screens look better there than when standing next to the show booth! Which is a shame, because it means that the off-angle viewing is really what makes those screens not so hot and probably isn't fixable. It's like being to the side of the screens on Fantasmic of World of Color, there's just a loss of fidelity.

If you want to see what they're really capable of, catch the show from there. My suggestion is to see the show once from either side of the real theaters, and then to make your way to the bridge shortly after for the second showing. Don't bother with Flame Tree or the sides, you're not missing anything from those vantage points. However, there are elements of the show that are significantly different from the bridge.

Of course, that's if you care about that sort of thing. I wouldn't dare recommend watching the show there on your first, or probably even second or third viewing. You can't see many of the shows elements from the bridge and the music is only passable up there. Still, it's an interesting perspective to watch the show from (and not just on Youtube). I found myself focusing far more on the entire field of the show from up there (which is admittedly easy since the floats aren't there drawing your attention).

Kman101

So I listened to @lentesta 's Disney Dish podcast today. On the show it was stated that the RoL show will run until the end of 2020, and that a new show with Disney characters (think live action Lion King) will debut in 2021 in time for the 50th. They reported that the show is doing poorly with preschool aged children, a key demographic for the company.

That's the absolute dumbest thing I've ever heard. If they run their parks that way, I don't know what to say anymore :(

Jeremy Geertsema

Just got back from my recent trip and FINALLY SAW ROL! Actually saw it twice (in the same night) once with dining package and once with Fastpass.

Anyways, I loved it! It was just as I imagined it would be. It's such a subtle, but elegant show. The floats, THE MUSIC, the performers, everything is just so gorgeous! The tech in the show is so impressive, the owl release on the water side and that tiger scene on the fire side is incredible! The Asia side is stronger than the Dino side, but they are both very good. It fits AK perfectly and I can't wait to see it again! I hope they don't create a new show but rather add to the current one to make it even more fantastic!

jaxonp

Still curious if we will ever see the floating lanterns and other improvements such as the finale.

I wonder that too, but honestly after seeing it a few times I'm not sure that they're necessary. This is almost too much going on right now. I think anything more and it might become messy. I don't think that the abundance of floats and projections comes through as well in a YouTube video as well as it does in person.

Last edited:

Kman101

Just got back from my recent trip and FINALLY SAW ROL! Actually saw it twice (in the same night) once with dining package and once with Fastpass.

Anyways, I loved it! It was just as I imagined it would be. It's such a subtle, but elegant show. The floats, THE MUSIC, the performers, everything is just so gorgeous! The tech in the show is so impressive, the owl release on the water side and that tiger scene on the fire side is incredible! The Asia side is stronger than the Dino side, but they are both very good. It fits AK perfectly and I can't wait to see it again! I hope they don't create a new show but rather add to the current one to make it even more fantastic!

I echo these thoughts.

I just saw it tonight via FP/Asia section (and if there are two shows, check for a FP, I was able to get a FP for the second show too but didn't stay; I was too exhausted) and LOVED IT.

Everything I wanted the nighttime show to be for Animal Kingdom. I've watched videos but you have to see it in person. Everything is a lot closer to you than I thought it would be. Unfortunately, yet also fortunately because it was so hot out, a breeze kicked in and sort of ruined a lot of the projections on the water screens. When the wind was dead the projections were fantastic (the small lotus ones were better) but be aware if you cant see the projections it's likely the wind. (Maybe they should project onto trees in the background like they do before the show). Seeing it in person finally was amazing. Crowd seemed to love it. Very impressive show overall. And while I can't put my finger on it, I can see why some say it needs work, the positioning isn't always great, but man ... the music, the floats ... I loved it! I'd like to see it worked on, not replaced.

Also loved the fireflies in the trees and the projections of the animals before the show starts.

And just because I feel we're spirit animals with this show, paging @prfctlyximprct

Between this and all the entertainment spread out through the park, Animal Kingdom is hands down my favorite park. They're knocking it out of the park big time. They're in a different league than Epcot and Hollywood Studios, who need their makeovers big time.

Last edited:

Kman101

Animal Kingdom has the best street entertainment. And it's great to see things going on at night, a large variety of things, although some things still close up shop way too early. Like, why is Flights of Wonder done before 4pm? (EDIT: Maybe too many shows for the birds? But spread the shows out). And I don't do the character photos but many of them also stop way before darkness falls. My only Animal Kingdom complaint is the theaters and the loading of them. I don't know how to improve it but it's chaos.

Epcot and especially Magic Kingdom could use a boost in the entertainment, especially after night. It's also time to stop closing down Epcot at 9pm. World Showcase needs to be open until 11pm every night.

Last edited:

dreamscometrue

Did you happen to catch the fantastic (non-character) dance party that happens across from Flame Tree?
I made sure that when I was there recently with a large group of high school 12th grade students, that we 'stumbled' onto the dance party as soon as it was starting. :) We had no fewer than 15 people at anytime up there. I also very much enjoy 'Sunset Seranatas'...Victor Espinola on the Pyruvian harp.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom