Pre-Trip 4th Birthday at WDW - why not?

Hi guys,

This is my first attempt at a Pre-Trip report, and hopefully a Trip Report afterwards :)

PROLOGUE
Ever since our honeymoon in 2011, I've been telling my wife that we have to go back to the most magical place on Earth! That trip, almost 6 years ago, was my first Disney vacation - I had been dreaming of visiting this whimsical place since I was a little boy. I remember watching TGIF on ABC back in the day when AK opened, I was in complete awe.

HONEYMOON
tumblr_om41rkrcFs1w77yk9o1_1280.jpg

Wanting badly to go back, I was casually mentioning Disney to my wife every few months, hoping she would get the same itch that I had, however it wasn't the case. It also didn't help that during the past 6 years, we bought a house, had a child and my wife lost her job. The timing just wasn't right.

Luckily for me, the tide changed in early January when my wife said to me that this spring would be a great time to go on a Disney Vacation!!! She had a new job and our son was a decent age for his first visit. We initially wanted to go in July to celebrate my 30th birthday, however we are trying to conceive are second child and it wouldn't of been a good idea if my wife would've been 7 months pregnant. We believe that it might be our last chance to visit for a few years. Since my son is a huge Disney fan, we thought it would be a wonderful idea for him to experience the magic for his birthday.

WHO
Mathieu (me)
tumblr_om41onDY4a1w77yk9o1_1280.jpg

Disney and Star Wars lover

Emilie (DW)
tumblr_om41nrjkTe1w77yk9o1_1280.jpg

Late 80's / early 90's Disney fan

Olivier (DS - soon to be 4)
tumblr_om41fbQWT51w77yk9o1_1280.jpg

Loves the new Disney movies and Star Wars

WHY
To celebrate DS's birthday:D

WHEN
May 20th to May 26th, 2017 (we are missing Pandora :cry:)

WHERE
Disney's Port Orleans - Riverside

In the next few days and weeks, I will be posting more details about the trip and answering your comments;)

Last edited:

MomofPrincessGrace

Great to hear - and can't wait to experience it with DS4!

I had hears of the G&M at UK in Epcot but we are doing a few character meals, in order to skip most of the G&M opportunities that eat up so much time. Exceptions will be made for Chewbacca, Buzz and Woody of course ;)

Dont blame you one bit. After waiting about an hour last trip to meet Rapunzel and Tiana in Princess Fairytale Hall, I will never wait that long to meet a character. We didnt meet Buzz or Woody last trip, definitely going to cross them off the list this year.

amjt660

Premium Member
Wish me luck - tomorrow is FP+ Day! I hope to get all the ones I want and more importantly, at the right time!

In the meantime, I booked another ADR... Please don't judge, I know I said that they were final a few weeks ago, but I always felt something was missing.

My son loves Winnie the Pooh, he has a stuffed Winnie that he's been sleeping with for more than 3 years. So of course I wanted to book a meal at Crystal Palace. I tried getting a dinner reservation on our second last night for weeks but unable to achieve my goal. Last night while browing the ADR's, just for fun, I noticed a 8:50 spot at Crystal Palace on our first full day, Sunday the 21st. The time wasn't ideal, I would've preferred 8:15, but I booked it anyways - and I'm glad.

Luckily, I was able to switch things around in my Touring Plan to make it work, I only had to cut Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, which wasn't bad since my son's English is still being developped (we are French-Canadians). I will take my TS credit from Mama Melrose for this meal since the value will be better.

It will make that first full day heavy with ADR's, which I was initially trying to avoid at DW's request, but was unable to spread them as I wished - most are in the first 3 days!!! But that day will be fun, Crystal Palace, BOG and Tusker House!

FP update will come later this week :)
Hey Matt
No judging from this guy
Do what you got to do to set up a great trip

That will be a lot of food on day one!!!
You will have to work it off somehow
Oh wait I forgot about the pack mule requirement
You should be fine!!!

Max

dmatt87

Original Poster
fp250.png

Good evening folks!
Yesterday was an important day - a make or break day - DAY 60 , also known as FP+ Day.

I was ready for this day, I had done my research to make sure I chose the right rides, at the right times, to be enjoy our trip to the maximum. I knew that a few of our rides would be highly time sensitive in order to get the good times - luckily for us, we don't do coasters so we didn't have too many dilemmas.

FLASHBACK TO 2011
When we visited in August 2011 for our honeymoon, we didn't have to go through this stressful process. Sure you had to book your ADRs 180 days in advance but you could decide your park and ride schedule on the day of. So during that trip we had a plan, that we didn't follow more than half of the time, and that was ok, because we were able to pick the park we wanted to visit and grab FP at those little convenient booths placed at the entrances of each eligible rides. And honestly it worked perfectly, and never once was there no passes left. I agree that we walked a little more and wasted some time to get them, but we could still maintain some spontaneity.

This time around we knew we weren't in Kansas anymore! That's why I did my research beforehand :)

So Monday night (day 61) I printed off my FP list for the whole week and numbered my priority for each ride - with no surprise FEA was number 1 on my list. Tuesday morning comes along, and I am ready! I'm sitting at my kitchen table, list ready and laptop connected to MDE on the WDW website. Boom! 7 o'clock is here, and I'm clicking away like crazy to get to the FEA highly coveted 9am Fastpass - it took me maybe 10 seconds to get there, I scored the earliest time available - 11:10 AM...:(

Things started to a rocky start and I was getting worried... For a few seconds, I have to, shamefully, admit that I saw all my world crumbling to pieces and thought that all my planning (research, spreadsheets and Touring Plans) was going down the drain. The next 30 minutes was a blur - I felt like I was in a war zone trying to survive. I was making strategic decisions in a split second, scribbling notes on my lists and telling my DS to stop talking and go play in the living room - daddy was busy trying to make everyone happy - I felt like a crazy mom yelling at her child to BE HAPPY :oops:

After all the smoke cleared and my FP+ were booked I left for work, with mix feelings of achievement and failure. I had gotten all the passes I wanted but not all at the times I wanted, some close within 10-20 minutes and others a few hours later. It was hard to swallow because I know that adjusting the Touring Plans would be quite the task! I must admit that I was dumb to think that I could get FP at 9-10-11, but I still followed through with that line of thinking, so all of a sudden a 9:15 FP means that I couldn't get one before 10:15, but mostly likely will be stuck with a 10:35 FP and the next one at noon, but already have an ADR for 12:15. But that was my own fault, setting myself up for failure - but also for booking a trip 125 days off and scrambling to make satisfying ADRs, as you saw in a previous chapter.

Later in the afternoon, I took an afternoon break and took a further look at the mess I had created. I opened each affected Touring Plan and adjusted my FP times and shuffled things around. Some days had minor changes, and other were a complete overhaul to fit the new imposed times - the hardest fit were the DHS shows, they offered less flexibility.

I don't like to throw around free publicity, but I must give high praises to the folks over at TouringPlans.com that created this amazing software that allowed me to find the light at the end of the tunnel and get my plans in order :D. I actually end it up with a more productive day at Epcot one morning that I had initially planned.

In the end, it was a very stressful day, for which I came unprepared, that started out in the gutter but had a very happy ending. I will be ready next trip - unless they change the system once again. ;)

Here is a quick overview of our FP+ :

Saturday, May 20, 2017 2:05 PM - Magic Kingdom Park

Jungle Cruise: 2:05 PM - 3:05 PM
Haunted Mansion: 3:10 PM - 4:10 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean: 4:15 PM - 5:15 PM

Sunday, May 21, 2017 9:15 AM - Magic Kingdom Park
Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid: 9:15 AM - 10:15 AM
Peter Pan's Flight: 10:20 AM - 11:20 AM
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: 11:35 AM - 12:35 PM

Monday, May 22, 2017 9:20 AM - Disney's Hollywood Studios
Toy Story Mania!: 9:20 AM - 10:20 AM
For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration: 11:00 AM - 11:15 AM
Voyage of The Little Mermaid: 12:10 PM - 12:25 PM

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 9:05 AM - Magic Kingdom Park
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin: 9:05 AM - 10:05 AM
The Barnstormer: 10:05 AM - 11:05 AM
Mickey's PhilharMagic: 11:20 AM - 12:20 PM

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 8:25 AM - Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park
Kilimanjaro Safaris: 8:25 AM - 9:25 AM
Kali River Rapids: 9:50 AM - 10:50 AM
Festival of the Lion King: 11:00 AM - 11:15 AM

Thursday, May 25, 2017 9:10 AM - Epcot
The Seas with Nemo & Friends: 9:10 AM - 10:10 AM
Frozen Ever After: 11:10 AM - 12:10 PM
Spaceship Earth: 1:05 PM - 2:05 PM

dmatt87

Original Poster
Holy moly...... you had that much trouble getting FEA FP+ for 60+5?!??!?! :(
It's not a problem to get an FEA FP+ - the problem is not being able to get one at a desired early time. When I checked later in the afternoon, I could get one around 1pm and afterwards. I guess a lot of guests make FEA their priority and all those ram the gates as soon as 7am hits the clock.

If you are flexible in the time you want to visit FEA, you should be fine :)

dmatt87

Original Poster
ROYAL UPDATE
As you all know we had initially booked our vacation at CBR, but as luck would have it, it will undergo a massive refurbishment during our planned stay. So after spending 1.5 hours on the phone, we were upgraded, free of charge, to a King room at POR - staying in the Alligator Bayou. We were extremely happy, and actually more satisfied with our new resort than CBR. The room was nice and had a nice murphy bed for DS4. My wife saw the Royal Rooms when we were checking out info on the resort and wished that we could've upgraded to those rooms.

Ever since she passed those comments, I have had an idea in the back of my mind to surprise her on the trip with something unexpected, and believe, she is impossible to surprise!!!

At one point I thought about splurging and transferring over to AKL - it was our dream resort that we always regretted not choosing on our honeymoon. Although it was a deluxe and the view of the savannah was going to be magical for the whole family, I didn't believe in the end that the money was worth it, considering that we would be far from every park, except AK, and that although it was a DELUXE, it didn't feel like that like some other options.

I was back to square one...:banghead:

And then yesterday afternoon I called the reservation line to see how much of an up-charge the Royal Rooms would be, I was expecting to fork out an additional $500 - and to my surprise, it was less than $200 :jawdrop:

I immediately jumped on the opportunity and updated our reservation!

Now the best part is this: my DW believes that we are staying at POR in the Alligator Bayou, and she's happy. But I cannot wait to see her face when we start walking towards the Mansions in Magnolia Blend - and if she says something I'll say that they moved us to a King Room on that side (which I know doesn't exist but she doesn't ;)) - and then we will open the room's door and she will see this (I just can't wait :cool:):

POR-RoyalRoom-Preview_large.jpg

dmatt87

Original Poster
Well aren't you the sneaky one
I love it
Try to do this every chance I get with my family too
Job well done my friend

Now the big question is

Will you be able to keep it a surprise!?!?!? :):):)

Max
I'll try very hard to keep it a secret - I'm trying to program myself into thinking that we are going in the Alligator Bayou room - so less chance to trip up.

And since she's tired of hearing about the planning, less chances of a trip up ;)

Last edited:

dmatt87

Original Poster
Ohana means Family
Quick update on ADRs! Like I mention last week, we had a first big day with ADRs for all three meals. So trying to change things up, I moved our Crystal Palace breakfast reservation on the Sunday, to a dinner reservation on the Wednesday. I thought that was a good move to rush us less on our first full day.

DW was very disappointed when I swap our Planet Hollywood Observatory reservation for T-Rex on our first night, but I thought DS would like T-Rex more, and PH didn't seem to offer a kids menu at the time. Looking at the menu for Kona Café on our last night and our schedule, I thought it wasn't a good fit and didn't think DW would appreciated has much. So I swapped it out and got us in to PH for fun dinner on our last night, and then we can do some shopping!!! And again, for a few weeks now, DW isn't in on the planning, she has absolutely no idea where we are eating at least for half the meals and no clue about the schedule or new room booking :happy:

And finally, the biggest change and surprise! Last night I was fooling around on the MDE app to see if I could find an earlier time for our H&G reservation, but I still couldn't. I decided at the same time to see if I could get a Ohana breakfast ADR on our first morning (at Sunday), and not at 10am, since A) we want to visit MK, and B) we have 12:15 ADR at BOG. When I clicked to choose availability on that morning at the Poly, I was stunned by what I saw :jawdrop: - a 7:50 spot available!!!! I didn't think twice and I snagged it. I'm so happy to have the chance to try Ohana for breakfast - I really wanted to see the decor and get a chance to meet Lilo and Stitch with DS.

It will be a busy first day but SO worth it! DW initially asked me not to go crazy with ADRs but I had no choice - I knew these reservations would please the family. and since it will be a while before we come back - I wanted to make this trip memorable and magical!

amjt660

Premium Member
As the saying goes at work
"You have to plan the work and then work the plan"

Keep on tinkering with it my friend
It sounds like a great trip for the whole family

Max

dmatt87

Original Poster
As the saying goes at work
"You have to plan the work and then work the plan"

Keep on tinkering with it my friend
It sounds like a great trip for the whole family

Max
What's funny is that after each round of tinkering, I make myself believe that it's the last time! :p

sheriffwoody

I can't believe I've found someone who makes changes more than I do :joyfull:

Sounds like a great trip! Doesn't Frozen Ever After open with World Showcase at 11? If so, your FP is probably as early as you could have gotten it. (ETA: Nevermind, I just saw on the website that it opens at 9. I'm often wrong...haha)

dmatt87

Original Poster
QUICK UPDATE
I'm still 40 days away from being home, and it's getting harder to sit still. I'm keeping busy with the forums and by slowly purchasing the missing items for our trip. I actually went to the Disney Store last weekend, just to browse, but I wanted to buy 3-4 different t-shirts for the trip. My wife prevented me from spending money on t-shirts that I would only wear on the trip or around the house - she had a point, and we already bought 2 a few months ago.

Today was a sad day for me however... I cancelled our Ohana breakfast ADR :cry:
I was really looking forward to it, and I was the only one (my wife and son didn't know about that ADR). But looking at the following reasons, it made sense :
1) We already have 2 other ADR's that day (BOG and Tusker House/ROL)
2) It was a travelling pain to get there in time
3) My son doesn't care much for Lilo and Stitch
4) Menu was limited - DS4 is intolerant to eggs
5) Food budget was getting a little high - too many TS, and this once was OOP

Next visit will be only me and DW, and we will do Ohana - for breakfast and dinner!:D

MomofPrincessGrace

26 days for us! So glad we dont have a Disney Store in our area or I would spend so much more money. I usually go to DisneyStore.com once a week or so, but once I see the shipping fee I decide I will put off whatever it is that I am wanting until a free shipping promo happens. Sorry you had to cancel Ohana. At least it wasnt something you shared with DW and DS so there wont be any added disappointment.

dmatt87

Original Poster
26 days for us! So glad we dont have a Disney Store in our area or I would spend so much more money. I usually go to DisneyStore.com once a week or so, but once I see the shipping fee I decide I will put off whatever it is that I am wanting until a free shipping promo happens. Sorry you had to cancel Ohana. At least it wasnt something you shared with DW and DS so there wont be any added disappointment.
Lucky you - let me know if you enjoy POR! And yes, good thing the shipping on the online store is expensive, or else... Christmas would come early, and often ;)

amjt660

Premium Member
QUICK UPDATE
I'm still 40 days away from being home, and it's getting harder to sit still. I'm keeping busy with the forums and by slowly purchasing the missing items for our trip. I actually went to the Disney Store last weekend, just to browse, but I wanted to buy 3-4 different t-shirts for the trip. My wife prevented me from spending money on t-shirts that I would only wear on the trip or around the house - she had a point, and we already bought 2 a few months ago.

Today was a sad day for me however... I cancelled our Ohana breakfast ADR :cry:
I was really looking forward to it, and I was the only one (my wife and son didn't know about that ADR). But looking at the following reasons, it made sense :
1) We already have 2 other ADR's that day (BOG and Tusker House/ROL)
2) It was a travelling pain to get there in time
3) My son doesn't care much for Lilo and Stitch
4) Menu was limited - DS4 is intolerant to eggs
5) Food budget was getting a little high - too many TS, and this once was OOP

Next visit will be only me and DW, and we will do Ohana - for breakfast and dinner!:D

No worries about Ohana my man
You can always eat there on another trip
Your Disney fever is peaking (based on how antsy you are right now)

Personally I got a fever - and the only prescription is more cow bell
upload_2017-4-10_20-13-18.png

upload_2017-4-10_20-14-15.png

Max

dmatt87

Original Poster
Less than a month left - UPDATE

Good evening folks!
Only 27 days left before we detach ourselves from reality and let ourselves be absorbed by the magic at WDW. I must say that these next 4 weeks will be hell - I have nothing else to plan, adjust or wait for...

I paid off the vacation last week, placed our BOG order on Friday and also got our luggage tags on that day. Got all my paperwork in order, pre-trip purchases are 98% completed, and luggage checklist hsa been prepared and tweaked multiple times. Yesterday I optimized our FPs and our Touring Plans.

I had considered purchasing the Memory Maker but I don't think the investment is worth it. We will make sure to use the service when possible, and only order 5 or 6 shots once we get back home.

I wish I could go to bed and wake up on May 19th - this way I wouldn't have to stress until then. However these extra days allow me to get into shape a little more before enjoying that DDP :p

I don't know how WDW regulars manage their excitement when they get this close to showtime... Especially since I'm ultra excited about my son's first visit, the multiple character meals and the secret upgrade I made to a Royal Room!!!!​

amjt660

Premium Member
DMatt is back!!

Listen dude - if you biggest problem is not having anymore things to plan?? - you really do not have a problem!

Loving the PTR ride and can't wait to see the TR!!

Max

PS Sort of drove by you last week - went out to Nova Scotia to bring my oldest back from Acadia University.
Saw the Ottawa / Gatineau cutoff and thought of you and your family prepping for your trip

dmatt87

Original Poster
DMatt is back!!

Listen dude - if you biggest problem is not having anymore things to plan?? - you really do not have a problem!

Loving the PTR ride and can't wait to see the TR!!

Max

PS Sort of drove by you last week - went out to Nova Scotia to bring my oldest back from Acadia University.
Saw the Ottawa / Gatineau cutoff and thought of you and your family prepping for your trip
Thanks for the support Max! Can't wait to start the TR, I will likely start the week before, because, as you know, this is when the adventure starts!:D

If I would've known you were so close, I would of made coffee ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom