How Much Security is Too Much?

mousehockey37

Who knows...they need a bigger security budget, I think we agree. It's up to them on where to spend for bang for buck.

A fence for the beach areas before the child incident might have seemed like waste too. You can't go crazy, but waiting for the tragedy to hit isn't a good strategy either. They can't be too reactionary.

Well, the beach tragedy was a culmination of a lot of things. People feeding wildlife from the bungalows, people being in water that they weren't supposed to be in, etc (again, a complete thread is elsewhere).

Where do you draw the line at crazy? I will agree that you can't wait for something to happen, but if you were to be overly proactive with securing everything, there'd be no getting anywhere in a timely fashion.

Would it be nice to eliminate bag check and metal detectors before heading into the parks? Yes. Is it feasible? No. I'll stand by saying that there's no full proof way to fully secure the parks or resorts, and there may never be.

Chef Mickey

Well, the beach tragedy was a culmination of a lot of things. People feeding wildlife from the bungalows, people being in water that they weren't supposed to be in, etc (again, a complete thread is elsewhere).

Where do you draw the line at crazy? I will agree that you can't wait for something to happen, but if you were to be overly proactive with securing everything, there'd be no getting anywhere in a timely fashion.

Would it be nice to eliminate bag check and metal detectors before heading into the parks? Yes. Is it feasible? No. I'll stand by saying that there's no full proof way to fully secure the parks or resorts, and there may never be.
I think it's indisputable they need to improve, spend more money, and close some loopholes in the security process that is no where close to crazy at this point. If you don't, we'll agree to disagree.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The part in bold is true, but in the end, if something's gonna happen, it's gonna happen.

Take your example of airline safety. You could do everything right while on the ground. But if there's something that goes wrong in the air, you're just along for the ride at that point.

So Chef, for your sake, I hope your bunker is secured 24 stories underground.

And that it has multiple independent air recyclers and full CBR filtration on the 'fresh' air intake and grenade baffles so people cant just toss a few down the chute so to speak...

Matt_Black

And that it has multiple independent air recyclers and full CBR filtration on the 'fresh' air intake and grenade baffles so people cant just toss a few down the chute so to speak...

It never fails to amaze me in these sorts of threads how there's always at least one person who gives the terrorists ideas!

21stamps

Original Poster
It never fails to amaze me in these sorts of threads how there's always at least one person who gives the terrorists ideas!

I don't think they need help. If we haven't noticed, their ideas and actions are a lot more sick and twisted than to do anything like that. They want the full on Shock, Horror, and WTH reaction, these things are just as important to them as the actual killings themselves.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Um - those were tips on how to secure Chef's bunker from all possible threats as I have some experience in bunkers 'hardened structures' for corporate disaster recovery scenarios.

Disney.Mike

Resorts, parks, transport, Boardwalk and Springs, ESPN, the lot. Disney is a prime terrorist target and the more security the better. Yes it's a minor inconvenience but what would you prefer, giving a few minutes of your time for a security check to help protect you or have you or your children be shot walking down Main Street? :(

I visit Disneyland Paris frequently which is a big terrorist target right now but fortunately they are prepared, Disney World however could do with some improvement.

I really dont see Disney as a prime target. Any organization knows if they were to hit a spot like Disney World, every developed nation on Earth would form a coalition to destroy them. Not just some done strikes, and limited boots on the ground, but full scale mobilization. ISIS knows if they did that, in a generation, no one would remember they even existed.

Also, there will always be a large bottleneck, 5000 people could be killed at the bottleneck that is the entrance to the bag check lines.

At best, they are moving the bottlenecks out, and maybe thinning it, but there isnt enough room to make it not be a MASSIVE group of people who are waiting to be screened.

Disney.Mike

Im not a big, let's go nuts on security for the sake of doing so, but Disney needs to get serious (or more serious) about security.

I'm not saying they do a poor job and I know there is a lot we can't see, but the biggest security measure in place today is the deterrent of "checking" bags.

We all know the issues with the current process, so I think they need to break down and invest in a giant bank of of metal detectors and X-ray machines that will at least find guns. We know we are headed there anyway and I'd hate for a tragic event to be what forces them to do it.

It's a Mickey Mouse operation now, no pun intended and needs to be ramped closer to airport security, but huge dollars spent on streamlining. The cost would be peanuts compared to the impact of a tragic event I could easily see happening.

You mean airport security, like the TSA? The group that has failed every inspection they have subjected to?

AndyS2992

I really dont see Disney as a prime target. Any organization knows if they were to hit a spot like Disney World, every developed nation on Earth would form a coalition to destroy them. Not just some done strikes, and limited boots on the ground, but full scale mobilization. ISIS knows if they did that, in a generation, no one would remember they even existed.

Also, there will always be a large bottleneck, 5000 people could be killed at the bottleneck that is the entrance to the bag check lines.

At best, they are moving the bottlenecks out, and maybe thinning it, but there isnt enough room to make it not be a MASSIVE group of people who are waiting to be screened.
And I agree, except for Disney not being a target, Disney World not so much but Disneyland Paris is very much on ISIS's radar. Bomb squads have been brought in to deal with suspicious packages and weapons found in luggage several times over the last two years.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...champs-elysees-christmas-market-a7436441.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...g-alert-over-suspicious-package-a7183526.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...fter-two-guns-found-in-suitcase-a6839381.html

Chef Mickey

You mean airport security, like the TSA? The group that has failed every inspection they have subjected to?
No, I only mean the spirit of airport security where supposedly every bag and person is checked. Disney will have to execute much better.

The TSA is a disaster because it's run by the government. Disney could do a far better job.

21stamps

Original Poster
Have they installed bag checks and security monitors at the Disney water parks? I mean if we're gonna have it all the four main parks why not have it at the water parks?

This is always an odd thing to me- my local amusement park has bag check/metal detectors.. but the water park does not. Doesn't make sense. I am for bag checks/metal detectors at parks.. I'm just always astonished by the places where it is seen as necessary or not. I don't understand the rhyme or reason behind it.

Matt_Black

This is always an odd thing to me- my local amusement park has bag check/metal detectors.. but the water park does not. Doesn't make sense. I am for bag checks/metal detectors at parks.. I'm just always astonished by the places where it is seen as necessary or not. I don't understand the rhyme or reason behind it.

Well, I can kinda rationalize it. If someone enters a water park and then doesn't change into something that would show a lot of skin, there's a good chance that security is going to keep an eye on that person. Bathing suits aren't really good for concealing weapons. "Is that a revolver in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

21stamps

Original Poster
Well, I can kinda rationalize it. If someone enters a water park and then doesn't change into something that would show a lot of skin, there's a good chance that security is going to keep an eye on that person. Bathing suits aren't really good for concealing weapons. "Is that a revolver in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"
That's what I always kind of think too, but- then I think about the large beach bags that everyone is carrying.

I don't know, in this new age of security it just seems strange to me. Water parks are crowded, especially where there's hundreds of lounge chairs and people place their beach bags on them/next to them.

EOD K9

In other news...

A shooting with police, security officers, and wands around...
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/26/15-people-shot-1-dead-at-cincinnati-nightclub.amp.html
In theory, the wand should be checked before each and every search of a person. It takes a second to do. I don't know if their rationale was, "It didn't beep, I guess they're ok". If it runs on batteries, it can fail. Sometimes equipment is taken for granted...or granite if you're on Jungle Cruise.

EOD K9

Funny you say that. I was at Great Wolf Lodge this past weekend and a woman in the lazy river was wearing a full blown hijab made of swim shirt material . Sometimes, you can't change into a bathing suit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom