Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

Figments Friend

Any 3 Day or more multi-day admission ticket bought at the ticket booth or online includes a 'Magic Morning' entrance.
So if you have a 3,4,5, or more multi-day...you have the option already added in for a one time, one morning use at either DL or DCA.
:)

I have bought multi-days both ways and was always told by Cast to be sure to take advantage of the option since I had access to it.

I never did....that extra hour to me does not make all that much of a Park experience difference.
If you were a family or group of friends, maybe, but for solo me....nope.

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Thanks! Does the Disney World rule of thumb to avoid parks with EMH also apply to DLR?

I would say yes, based on the crowd levels I see entering later on.
I stay away from the Magic Mornings as it does'nt add any advantage for me since I'm always at the Parks alone and can do Single Rider.

-

Curious Constance

#1 is correct
#2 you are able to choose between DL and DCA
#3 is partially correct. DL and DCA only have particular days for MM. They tend to alternate.
#4 unsure. My 3 day hopper was part of a vacation package, so I didn't purchase the tickets directly.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of those things guys, but I think it's accurate.

Any 3 Day or more multi-day admission ticket bought at the ticket booth or online includes a 'Magic Morning' entrance.
So if you have a 3,4,5, or more multi-day...you have the option already added in for a one time, one morning use at either DL or DCA.

I have bought multi-days both ways and was always told by Cast to be sure to take advantage of the option since I had access to it.

I never did....that extra hour to me does not make all that much of a Park experience difference.
If you were a family or group of friends, maybe, but for solo me....nope.

-

According to the Disneyland website which I quoted on the previous page off this thread, multiday tickets purchased at the ticket booth do not include a magic morning. And for tickets purchased online, that include a Magic Morning, it can only be used at Disneyland. Only resort hotel guests can enter DCA or DL early entry days.

thomas998

Does anyone have any advice on finding reasonable room rates for hotels in the area? I'll be out on the west coast for the first time this July (in OR) and I am highly considering ending my week at Disneyland. I've done some searches on the typical sites like Expedia and Hotwire and the results are honestly more than I want to pay for a room. The days I am considering a visit are right after the D23 convention so I assume that may have some influence? It wouldn't be the end of the world if I cannot find a good deal but I figured since I'll already be out there, I might as well see if I can try and visit DL for the first time, lol. :)
Biggest question is how close do you want to be to the parks. The other consideration you have to look at is the time of year you are going to be there. July isn't going to be a light time of the year it will be heavy so hotel price themselves accordingly. Howard Johnson right by the park is going to cost you about $190 a night in the summer. Which sounds high but if you stay at a Disney Resort you'll be paying considerably more... Also factor in that with a place like Howard Johnson you get parking for free and are actually a closer to the parks than at many of the Disney Resorts...

You've also got a few other hotels right on S. Harbor Blvd some that are even closer to the park entrance... but they are all going to cost you pretty much the same between 170 and 190... A few of the others right their you can check are:

Fairfield Inn
Park View Inn
Tropicana Inn
Camelot Inn

Now if you have your own car and want to get hotels closer to 100 to 120 then I would suggest you stay outside the Disneyland area because if you stay near the park and convention center you will be paying a premium. You could consider a areas about 5 miles northwest of Disneyland on highway 5 like Norwalk there you can find basic Holiday Inns and Best Western for about 100 a night and unless you drive during rush hour the traffic isn't that bad getting from there to Disneyland.

When you've determined if you will go to DL, and if you plan on eating in the park, I would suggest you try to make some reservation for the Blue Bayou Restaurant... Also note at DL reservation can only be made 60 days in advance so you've got plenty of time before the window for reservations open up.

BrianV

At LAX after my first ever trip to DLR. We had a blast but inevitably I compared everythjng to WDW. In many ways favorably. But I will say the security check followed by the ticket scanning was so much slower than I ever experienced at Wdw. Some days 20 -25 min. Was shocking. That said the proximity of the two parks was awesome. We actually hopped one day 6 times chasing fast passes and meals.

I'll try to write of a trip report geared to Wdw veterans. Oh, and the cars world was amazing! And we loved all the roaming characters. And blue bayou was delicious and amazing. And pirates was so much better. And Mr Toad!! Too much to write now

Thanks for all the help!!

Figments Friend

Does anyone have any advice on finding reasonable room rates for hotels in the area? I'll be out on the west coast for the first time this July (in OR) and I am highly considering ending my week at Disneyland. I've done some searches on the typical sites like Expedia and Hotwire and the results are honestly more than I want to pay for a room. The days I am considering a visit are right after the D23 convention so I assume that may have some influence? It wouldn't be the end of the world if I cannot find a good deal but I figured since I'll already be out there, I might as well see if I can try and visit DL for the first time, lol. :)

I'll be back out in Anaheim this coming July as well, to attend said D23 Expo.
The fact the Event is happening in July this time around is unfortunate for us budget minded travelers as now we have to deal with the inflated airfares and hotel rates during peak Summer season.
.:mad:
I still have not booked anything as I am still waiting for a deal...airfare in particular from where I live to CA is insane right now, and has been for the last couple of months I have been stalking incognito.

That being said, there are plenty of inexpensive and decent options around the area...you just need to know where to go.
It helps tremendously to get a current map online that specifically shows all the hotels in the immediate area around the Parks.
This will help you pinpoint how close or far away the properties actually are in regards to each other.
Many hotels and motels have names that imply being close to the main gate of Disneyland, but often that is not the case.
Always look it up in a map first.
I find Travelocity.com is a great tool for doing just that...scoping out the options with a handy map.

My advice from personal experience -
Avoid the hotels / motels on Harbor Blvd. directly across the street from the Park.
Harbor is a nightmare of touristy congestion, crazy traffic, and big crowds.
It also attracts some of the unsavory things that come with that type of scene.
Remember, there is a real reason why Uncle Walt hated this cluttered area across the street from his Park!
;)

I have always stayed away from that area and instead choose hotels on W. Katella Ave, which borders the southern edge of the Disneyland property.
It has worked out really well for me over the years I've been visiting.
Just about all of the hotels / motels in that stretch are within close walking distance to the Parks ( 20 mins or less ) but just far enough away to keep you out of the circle of chaos that immediately surrounds them on Harbor.
Lots of choices on W. Katella for those seeking decent rooming without a ridiculous price...as well as some nicer options that are just pleasant to stay in.

My favorite budget spot is the Quality Inn & Suites at The Park, which is directly across from the entrance to Cast parking on the Simba Lot.
They are booked up in July last time I checked, and it is not really a 'budget option' in the Summer anyway, but if available at a fair price id recommend it.
Typical budget motel, but has it's perks.
Location is terrific, close walking distance to the Parks, and has a good daily free breakfast with real options ( not just bread and water! ).
Rooms are clean, but small.
Discount codes can be found online to knock down the price a bit depending on your needs.
July rates will be inflated...so what is normally a $69 to $89 room will now be $125 to $165 and up.
Plenty of other options however on that same stretch of road.
Hotels / motels are lined up right next door to each other.

I like the Katella area since it's quieter and not as bustling as Harbor is.
Personal tastes...but I have had great success staying here.
Palm tree lined streets, wide walkways, and a very pleasant 15 minute walk to the front turnstiles of either Park.

There is also a Super 8 on this same stretch of road I have always heard good things about and also includes a free breakfast.

I've also stayed at the Alamo Inn next door to the Quality, which was a step down but not the utter dump reviewers online had spooked me into thinking it was.
Alamo is a option if you need cheap sleeps, but again, July rates are inflated..exspecially for a room at this motel.
Only book if desperate and there is no other option.
Very basic, but the location is what is valued here.

Another option is the Stay America on S. Clementine.
This is actually closer to the Parks, but still just far enough away to keep you out of the Harbor Blvd. craziness.
A short 10 minute walk to the front turnstiles.
Not as nice or as scenic a walk, however. I personally prefer W. Katella options.
This option will be far more attractive once the new DLR Transportation Center opens literally down the road from here.

Extended Stay America can be a lucky break if you have no other budget options.
The rate gets cheaper the longer your stay, but it's basically a studio apartment complex that doubles as a hotel.
Full kitchen with untentials and dishware, fridge, stove and microwave, comfy beds, but NO room cleaning services ( additional fee if you must have it ).
They run many discount offers throughout the year...you can sign up on their website www.extendedstayamerica.com

Hope this helps a little.

-

Last edited:

Curious Constance

At LAX after my first ever trip to DLR. We had a blast but inevitably I compared everythjng to WDW. In many ways favorably. But I will say the security check followed by the ticket scanning was so much slower than I ever experienced at Wdw. Some days 20 -25 min. Was shocking. That said the proximity of the two parks was awesome. We actually hopped one day 6 times chasing fast passes and meals.

I'll try to write of a trip report geared to Wdw veterans. Oh, and the cars world was amazing! And we loved all the roaming characters. And blue bayou was delicious and amazing. And pirates was so much better. And Mr Toad!! Too much to write now

Thanks for all the help!!
Glad you had a nice time! Can't wait to hear more!

Daveeeeed

Is this a good way to split up the parks, or am I going about it wrong? Also is this good for crowds? Thanks!!!

June Disneyland Trip 2017
21st - Drive from L.A. to Disneyland DL evening
22nd - DCA morning & early afternoon / DL evening
23rd - DCA
all-day / DL after DCA closes Friday
24th - DL all-day
25th - DCA all morning, then fly home

And are these restaurants good choices?

Dinner
Trader Sam's
Paradise Garden Grill
Carthay Circle
Plaza Inn
Lunch
Little Red Wagon
Flo's V8 Cafe
Plaza Inn
Carnation Cafe
Rancho del Zocalo
Breakfast
French Market
Flo's V8 Cafe
Snack
Jolly Holiday Bakery
Ghirardelli® Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop

Obviously, we would play a lot of these by ear (pretty much everything except for Carthay Circle & Carnation Cafe.
Is this a good list of good restaurants? Anything I should swap, add, or not do? Thank you!!!

@BrianLo

Last edited:

TP2000

Your plan looks solid, and your restaurant choices are good. I recommend the Boudin Bakery in Pacific Wharf for good sandwiches and salads in bread bowls, a light but filling lunch option good for summertime.

If you can swing it, you might also consider Napa Rose for a fancy dinner. Or Blue Bayou for a fancy lunch or dinner. Carthay Circle is a great choice too, in that same price range.

Bengal Barbecue in Adventureland has good snacks, skewers of several savory and tasty varieties grilled to order.

Trader Sam's is really just a bar, but the Tangaroa Terrace next door has predictable burgers and lazy CM service from the aloof Hotel CM's who constantly are clustered around the order counter gossiping instead of focusing on customers. Tangaroa Terrace is nothing to trek all the way to the Disneyland Hotel for. Trader Sam's is worth the trek if you are going to have drinks though.

The Uva Bar in Downtown Disney is closer and has better food and better service than Tangaroa Terrace. I particularly like their lamb burger they serve there, with a very good selection of beers and cocktails.

Daveeeeed

Your plan looks solid, and your restaurant choices are good. I recommend the Boudin Bakery in Pacific Wharf for good sandwiches and salads in bread bowls, a light but filling lunch option good for summertime.

If you can swing it, you might also consider Napa Rose for a fancy dinner. Or Blue Bayou for a fancy lunch or dinner. Carthay Circle is a great choice too, in that same price range.

Bengal Barbecue in Adventureland has good snacks, skewers of several savory and tasty varieties grilled to order.

Trader Sam's is really just a bar, but the Tangaroa Terrace next door has predictable burgers and lazy CM service from the aloof Hotel CM's who constantly are clustered around the order counter gossiping instead of focusing on customers. Tangaroa Terrace is nothing to trek all the way to the Disneyland Hotel for. Trader Sam's is worth the trek if you are going to have drinks though.

The Uva Bar in Downtown Disney is closer and has better food and better service than Tangaroa Terrace. I particularly like their lamb burger they serve there, with a very good selection of beers and cocktails.
Thanks for the epic feedback!

In the case of The Signature Dining on the property, We want to try to do 1 (my birthday is the 24th, so we would probably do it then), and from asking around on this website and with doing some research, it seems that Carthay Circle has inconsistent service, but good food, Blue Bayou has obviously an epic atmosphere, but overpriced food and Napa Rose has the best food overall. I was thinking about Steakhouse 55, but you can get steak pretty much anywhere. If you could only choose #1 of those 3 for a trip to Disneyland that you probably won't repeat again for a decade what would it be? Thanks again for your help!

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Is this a good way to split up the parks, or am I going about it wrong? Also is this good for crowds? Thanks!!!

June Disneyland Trip 2017
21st - Drive from L.A. to Disneyland DL evening
22nd - DCA morning & early afternoon / DL evening
23rd - DCA
all-day / DL after DCA closes Friday
24th - DL all-day
25th - DCA all morning, then fly home

And are these restaurants good choices?

Dinner
Trader Sam's
Paradise Garden Grill
Carthay Circle
Plaza Inn
Lunch
Little Red Wagon
Flo's V8 Cafe
Plaza Inn
Carnation Cafe
Rancho del Zocalo
Breakfast
French Market
Flo's V8 Cafe
Snack
Jolly Holiday Bakery
Ghirardelli® Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop

Obviously, we would play a lot of these by ear (pretty much everything except for Carthay Circle & Carnation Cafe.
Is this a good list of good restaurants? Anything I should swap, add, or not do? Thank you!!!

@BrianLo

I would skip Carnation Cafe (it's not worth the time as it's table service and food is just average) and Zocalo, which is decent but not actually good Mexican food. It's fine in a pinch, but not worth it on a first visit IMO.

I would still recommend Napa Rose over Carthay, but if your heart is set on the WOC dining package, then go for Carthay. If you don't eat at Carthay, you can always grab a drink in the lounge and still get the experience without doing the full meal.

Daveeeeed

I would skip Carnation Cafe (it's not worth the time as it's table service and food is just average) and Zocalo, which is decent but not actually good Mexican food. It's fine in a pinch, but not worth it on a first visit IMO.

I would still recommend Napa Rose over Carthay, but if your heart is set on the WOC dining package, then go for Carthay. If you don't eat at Carthay, you can always grab a drink in the lounge and still get the experience without doing the full meal.
We probably wouldn't do the WOC package and instead just get a Fastpass. Do you know if the refurbishment at The Grand Californian has an effect on Napa Rose?

TP2000

We probably wouldn't do the WOC package and instead just get a Fastpass. Do you know if the refurbishment at The Grand Californian has an effect on Napa Rose?

I would vote for Napa Rose due to the inconsistent service levels and lack of focus on the details at Carthay Circle.

Skip Steakhouse 55; you can get marginally better steaks/sides and much better service at either the Ruth's Chris or the Morton's in Anaheim a few blocks south of Disneyland. Like so many "fine dining" restaurants at the Disneyland Resort, Steakhouse 55 is staffed primarily by CM's who transferred from Tomorrowland Terrace after a few years, and it is apparent they have very little training nor any real understanding of how fine dining service is to be carried out. Many of them can't even wear their Cummerbunds correctly (same for the kids in their Carthay Circle uniforms).

The only real reason to go to Steakhouse 55 is to see all the cigarettes airbrushed out of all the celebrities hands in the vintage black and white photos that adorn the walls.

The Napa Rose already had its full refurbishment about a year ago, it was closed for a month or two. The current refurbishment at the Grand is focused on the guest rooms and the pool.

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

If you are crunched for time, you can do that. Just be sure to skip clones and focus on unique or better attractions.

If you can swing 3-4 days, that's ideal to really get everything in and be able to enjoy some details.
Any little must-do tips you'd recommend for a longer trip like that?:D

Bairstow

WDW vet visiting Disneyland.

Will two days suffice? One day Disneyland and one day California Adventure?

That's squeezing it pretty tight. You'll want at least 3 days. 4 if the trip falls over a weekend.

Any little must-do tips you'd recommend for a longer trip like that?:D

Break up your Disney days and spend a day at Knotts Berry Farm?
Or even better, rent a convertible for the day and drive out to Huntington Beach and drive up and down the Pacific Coast Highway for a few hours. You'll never forget that.

BrianV

WDW vet visiting Disneyland.

Will two days suffice? One day Disneyland and one day California Adventure?
We were you. We however has 2.5 days. It depends on your style. We were relaxed, enjoyed seeing what we could and skipped what we couldn't. We felt like 2.5 days was good enough and 2 would have been fine too. More is always better of course. :)

jeffk410

We were you. We however has 2.5 days. It depends on your style. We were relaxed, enjoyed seeing what we could and skipped what we couldn't. We felt like 2.5 days was good enough and 2 would have been fine too. More is always better of course. :)

Thanks! I could have 2 1/2, but not sure I can justify adding on a 3rd day to my ticket for only a half day in the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom