New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

NobodyElse

Since this seems to be the catch-all thread for "stuff around the parks"...

Anaheim streetcar making a comeback

It's an opinion piece, but it talks about this:
" “In August, the OCTA initiated a study on Harbor Boulevard between the Fullerton Transportation Center and Westminster Avenue, and a month ago the project team presented 12 draft conceptual alternatives for board members to review,” the Register noted. “Of the dozen options, seven involve a streetcar.” "

Robbiem

It's the 21st century. The fact that the world's most famous theme park resort sits 45 minutes south of downtown LA and is (mostly) only accessible by car is pretty ridiculous.

I agree. It's a shame that for a company founded by a train nut like Walt both of the stateside resorts are the only ones not to have a train station to connect to the outside world

When I visited Disneyland I didn't have a car and we used buses/trains to get about the LA area but it was quite time consuming and hard and much as I liked Disneyland I've not returned again

Californian Elitist

One can take a Metrolink train from Disneyland to Los Angeles and vice versa, usually a 45-minute ride. The station is less than 10 minutes away.

It can be done. People have to do the research. Also, Disneyland is in Orange County. It's a 35+ minute drive away from Los Angeles City proper.

D

Deleted member 107043

Not everyone is coming from LA is coming downtown. I bet most visitors headed to DLR from greater Los Angeles area aren't coming from downtown.

Californian Elitist

Also, if we want to talk about L.A. County, there is rail available in multiple parts, such as Santa Monica/Westside, Hollywood, the San Fernando Valley, Ventura, San Gabriel Valley, East Los Angeles, etc. All of these are connected as well.

Travel Junkie

With very few exceptions the U.S. has woefully inadequate public transportation. LA is improving but still embarrassingly bad. Orlando is even worse. It really opens your eyes when you travel around Europe and parts of Asia and see their public transportation systems.

In the last decade or so Disney has poured money into making it more popular and when people came they act surprised everyone drove and taxed the infrastructure. I am shocked they built such a massive parking structure and then so few lanes of traffic to get in and out. The roads in and around the resort are grossly inefficient for the traffic they had to have planned for. The roads in and around Tokyo Disney are much better designed for large traffic flow and everyone uses the train to get out there. If they continue to grow, the new parking structure may not even be enough soon after it's completed.

It's not our fault we pretty much have to drive. For most people they have to drive to a place to take public transportation, so what's the point?

DLR92

I think the pedestrian bridge need to ditch the Mickey Mouse abstract. It make it look tacky. Plaster the bridge with stones panels and add Bougainvillea vines to it, it would look nicer.

I wish the signage would be nicer too. I think they should ditch the current signage entry for something more ornate.

TP2000

Sooo.....

It's now almost April and still nothing has happened with this project. Anaheim has dug in its heels, the Planning Commission hasn't approved anything, and the local coffee shop and two-bit motel owners still have their silly website up demanding aesthetic greatness to match their cinder block IHOP and tacky stucco motels.

Meanwhile, up in Northern California, the Apple Campus II is nearing completion and I just saw that it has a parking garage for 20,000 cars. 20,000! That's twice the size of the Mickey & Friends parking structure, and nearly three times the size of the stalled Eastern Gateway parking structure.

Last edited:

TP2000

It's the 21st century. The fact that the world's most famous theme park resort sits 45 minutes south of downtown LA and is (mostly) only accessible by car is pretty ridiculous.

You can get to Anaheim from LA by train. There are over forty (40) trains per day that call on Anaheim's ARTIC station, 23 Amtrak Surfliners and 18 Metrolink commuters, and a free shuttle bus takes you from the station to the East Esplanade that meets every train. If you want to go by train, there's lots of timetable options.

The problem is that it's far cheaper, and often much faster and more convenient, to put 5 or 10 bucks of gas in the family car and pay $18 bucks for parking than it is to buy $20+ train tickets for each member of the family.

NobodyElse

The problem is that it's far cheaper, and often much faster and more convenient, to put 5 or 10 bucks of gas in the family car and pay $18 bucks for parking than it is to buy $20+ train tickets for each member of the family.

I don't want to get fully into it now, but it's a little sad that it can be so complicated making transportation choices (especially involving rail). One almost needs a spreadsheet with weighted scores for different aspects of travel. Are you alone, or with others? car-pooling or ridesharing make more sense as you add people. Want to use that AAA discount for Amtrak? You'd best make your reservations 3 days in advance. Staying late? better check those train schedules again. etc.

D

Deleted member 107043

I don't want to get fully into it now, but it's a little sad that it can be so complicated making transportation choices (especially involving rail). One almost needs a spreadsheet with weighted scores for different aspects of travel. Are you alone, or with others? car-pooling or ridesharing make more sense as you add people. Want to use that AAA discount for Amtrak? You'd best make your reservations 3 days in advance. Staying late? better check those train schedules again. etc.

Don't even get me started on the hassles those of us flying into area airports face when trying to get to and from the DLR using ground transportation.

Last edited by a moderator:

NobodyElse

And in other news...

Del Taco near Disneyland among 4 restaurants closing in Orange County

The Del Taco on Katella Avenue at the I-5 freeway near Disneyland is closing at the end of business, Tuesday, March 28. The Lake Forest-based chain said “this is an isolated closing as the new development taking over does not permit drive-through establishments. We are looking at options in the immediate area to replace the location.”

BubbaQuest

The Del Taco on Katella Avenue at the I-5 freeway near Disneyland is closing at the end of business, Tuesday, March 28. The Lake Forest-based chain said “this is an isolated closing as the new development taking over does not permit drive-through establishments. We are looking at options in the immediate area to replace the location.”

So what new development is happening here? The Disney stuff is all north of here, right?

NobodyElse

It's part of the land slated to become Cambria Hotel & Suites.

Correct. Here's what it roughly looks like now:
upload_2017-3-30_8-42-27.png

Historically, this "triangle" was home to Flaky Jakes, The Boogie (aka Cowboy Boogie, The Bandstand, The Cowboy, The Crescendo) and Del Taco. For years, the first two have been closed (using much of the parking lot for construction staging/parking). I find this a bit interesting because I don't really know the chronology of how things progressed. On the surface, it seems odd that long-standing Del Taco could be forced to move because their new neighbors don't permit drive-thru places.

Perhaps Del Taco was on leased land, and Cambria bought the whole triangle, thus being able to force them out? Or, did Del Taco just take a huge payout that made this worth while. I'll have to do some research later.

DLR92

I'm looking forward to the new development.
Cambria Hotel & Suites renderings:

Attachments

• cambride.jpg
    cambride.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 85
  • cambria2.jpg
    cambria2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 78
  • cambride3.jpg
    cambride3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 87

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom