News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

rioriz

"Years stagnation" is a little untrue since the park has two themed lands lined up for opening. The park simply cannot take another attraction offline. That would leave four rides open...four.

I disagree as once those two lands are done there is nothing, that we know of, planned to come soon. DHS needs more than a half arsed TSL and SWL to add capacity and freshness. It is the fault of Disney that taking GMR offline would leave only four rides. They made the bed they are laying in...

Just personal bias here but the idea of an innovative ride based on the face of the Company intrigues me and I want to see it come to fruition....taking over GMR or elsewhere

PorterRedkey

Me, too. I'd rather it be elsewhere or no where.
Is "elsewhere" an option now?

I would love to have this Mickey ride in the Animation Courtyard. Just upgrade GMR in the process! Especially, the Footlight Parade, and Tarzan scenes

If I had to choose, I would pick upgrading GMR over a new Mickey ride. I might be in the minority with that opinion, but I feel strongly about it!

po1998

At the risk of probably repeating myself from the early days of this thread, in a park desperate for attractions, it is just mind boggling that they would consider replacing GMR with a MM attraction, instead of building MM attraction in the former Animation Courtyard now used for a SW preview/walk-thru/m&g/whatever you want to call it.

Just hoping they come up with a plan soon. TSL & SWL 4 new attractions, are not going to offset the crowds that will flock to a park with still a below average number of attractions for an all-day park.

Magic Feather

It seems that (of the money being spread around) Mickey's popularity is waning. As a ride, it is actually quite nice, just not in GMR's space. I too, would rather see it elsewhere rather than nowhere, but nowhere rather than in GMR. At least it is better than the old GotG proposal (cringes). As of now, after Pandora, we will see TSL, then SWL or Rat as as far as notable adds go. (Excluding Gondolas, West Side, Water Parks, Hotels, etc.)

PorterRedkey

It seems that (of the money being spread around) Mickey's popularity is waning. As a ride, it is actually quite nice, just not in GMR's space. I too, would rather see it elsewhere rather than nowhere, but nowhere rather than in GMR. At least it is better than the old GotG proposal (cringes). As of now, after Pandora, we will see TSL, then SWL or Rat as as far as notable adds go. (Excluding Gondolas, West Side, Water Parks, Hotels, etc.)
So is Energy safe now? I thought GotG was close to being greenlit.

And what is proposed for the water parks? If you can say, of course.

PorterRedkey

I think they are referring to an old GotG ride proposal that would've taken over GMR. But that was thankfully cancelled.

Okay, but he also states that only Pandora, TSL, SWE and Rat will be the notable additions. If GotG is still going into Energy that would be a "notable addition" in my book.

Figments Friend

Very good to hear this recent news about them having second thoughts about the placement of this particular project.

The Great Movie Ride needs to stay....and needs a nice update and refreshening of the ride scenes.
There are ways this experience can be streamlined but keep its appealing features intact.
It just needs a good review and a healthy budget to add some scenic additions and updated AAs in key scenes and it will be good for another 20 something years!
:)

-

Last edited:

doctornick

I`m hoping it stalls enough to loose popularity (not everyone likes it) until a ressurection further down the line somewhere else in the park.

This.

I'd rather keep GMR open and use those funds now somewhere else (maybe an expansion over at Echo Lake once TSL opens). Build the Mickey ride in Animation Courtyard in the future once Launch Bay can be closed and torn down -- maybe it could be the anchor of a properly done Toontown.

DDLand

I wonder if Bob W. coming onto the scene had something to do with it.

So in Disney's eyes DHS will be basically "fixed" when Star Wars comes online, or is there still more to come?

SirLink

While it's great that GMR could stay it really needs a major update and quite honestly the park still will need a lot more after TSL and SWL. This should be built in the animation courtyard once the Star wars stuff opens and they can close launch bay.

They won't be closing most of the extra Star Wars stuff until 6-8 months after the opening of Star Wars Land

SirLink

As they shouldn't, they will need the extra capacity. But after a year or so that would be the ideal place for the mickey ride though it seems like recent discussions show it on the chopping block.

Just pointing out they want as much Star Wars content available for the first year of Star Wars Land open. Also just pointing out DHS has far too many theatres also animation courtyard can be opened somewhat to create a mini land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom