Few Quick Questions from Uni First Timer

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
As part of a week long Disney World trip for 30 high school seniors, I'll be taking 7-17 year olds to Universal for a day from WDW property. None of us have been there. I'll be picking up the rental van at 7am, and Universal opens at 9am. We all have 1 day, park to park tickets, so we plan to go flat out for about 10 hours :) My questions are...

1. How early should we arrive so that we can park, get to the gate (which gate?), get through security, etc? (We will be able to leave Disney resort as early as 7:30am, if that's what is suggested).
2. Where is the best place to park?
3. Suggested quick service for lunch?

Any other suggestions would be welcomed as well.

Thanks for the help!

JoeCamel

Get there as early as you can.

Park in the parking garages

Depends on the group, The terrace near Jurassic park has chicken and ribs and the discovery center has burgers, in USF there are many offerings.

Try Orlando Informer for info about all things Universal. Has plans, maps info and so much experience in the parks all in one place

@dreamscometrue sorry I posted the wrong name above, don't know where that came from, it is correct now

Last edited:

JS514

Personally, I would hit Islands first and then Studios. I would head straight for Forbidden Journey and work my way counterclockwise (if looking at a map) and eventually reach Hogsmeade again and take Hogwarts Express over to Studios. I've always found Islands to be busier than Studios when I go (of course, that doesn't mean it is always like that).

I would just talk with the group and see what rides and things are must do's for them, and that should help you decide which park you want to hit first.

thomas998

Do yourself and the people in your group a favor and split your group up... If you have 30 people ranging in age from 7 to 17 you're going to have a mix of interests and everyone will be happier if they aren't having to ride a Doctor Sues ride for the little kid or having someone watch the little kids while everyone that is big enough rides the thrill ride.... everyone will have a better time if you create some smaller groups and if you want to verify no one has been kidnapped just meet up at a central point for dinner or something.

If you want to get through security as quickly as possible then have people avoid bringing big bags and purses, everyone will be walking through a metal detector so leave any metal filled jewelry at the hotel will help.

Also while there are two parks, there is only one entry point for people coming in from the parking garage... The choice of where to go happens after you've gotten past the central security and entered City Walk...

Also people might want to prepare for the random rain showers as it is Orlando... oh and people would be advised to take a plastic bag with them to keep their phones in on some of the water rides, the Bilge-rats Barge is probably the wettest ride I have ever experienced anywhere so much so that a phone in my pocket bit the dust... Imagine someone opening a fire hose on you and then multiply that by 10 so to avoid hearing parent complain little Johnny's phone got ruined have them get bring a ziplock (while some rides have free lockers, some of the water rides don't)

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the info. I very much appreciate it. Heading to Orlando in a week and hitting Uni the next week...all your tips will certainly help us! :)

AndrewsJ

Thanks so much for the info. I very much appreciate it. Heading to Orlando in a week and hitting Uni the next week...all your tips will certainly help us! :)
Try the food at 3 Broomsticks in Hogsmede and the Leaky Calderon in Diagon Alley. Very unique offerings. Also make sure to take the Hogwart's Express both ways as the rides are completely different. And don't forget to visit Knockturn Alley in the Diagon Alley area at USF! Have a great trip!

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
Try the food at 3 Broomsticks in Hogsmede and the Leaky Calderon in Diagon Alley. Very unique offerings. Also make sure to take the Hogwart's Express both ways as the rides are completely different. And don't forget to visit Knockturn Alley in the Diagon Alley area at USF! Have a great trip!
Thank you! I never thought about taking the return to USF on Hogwart's. Good to know. :)

WDWTank

Be sure to ride Men in Black; there is nothing else like it in the entire world!
Scoring tip: after the scanner scene, aim for the red light circle on the top of the opposing Rider's vehicle. Once hit, you'll gain a ton of points and the vehicle will spin out of control!

Good luck B)

Ekohlby

1). Look up which park has the early extra hour. Start in the park that does not have it. Start in the HP area since that gets the most crowded. Do one HP area as soon as you get there. Do the other right before closing.

2). You have to park in the parking garage and they will tell you where to park. You can upgrade to preferred parking or valet. We always do the general parking with no issues.

3). Get the Feast at 3 Broomsticks if you are all sharing. The Feast for four will feed more than 4 people in most cases. I had a group of 7 and the feast for 4 was perfect - but two were kids under 10 (though two were teen boys). So, depending on your group of teens, you can either get less than the number of people you have or actually fill up teen boys which is a hard thing to do! (They sell the feast for 4 and then you can add on more people to get more servings). If they're not in the mood for chicken/ribs/potatoes/corn/salad, then an easy place for a group is Louie's. The pizza there is the best for pizza inside the park and most teens are happy with pizza.

EpcotEric01

Do yourself and the people in your group a favor and split your group up... If you have 30 people ranging in age from 7 to 17 you're going to have a mix of interests and everyone will be happier if they aren't having to ride a Doctor Sues ride for the little kid or having someone watch the little kids while everyone that is big enough rides the thrill ride.... everyone will have a better time if you create some smaller groups and if you want to verify no one has been kidnapped just meet up at a central point for dinner or something.

If you want to get through security as quickly as possible then have people avoid bringing big bags and purses, everyone will be walking through a metal detector so leave any metal filled jewelry at the hotel will help.

Also while there are two parks, there is only one entry point for people coming in from the parking garage... The choice of where to go happens after you've gotten past the central security and entered City Walk...

Also people might want to prepare for the random rain showers as it is Orlando... oh and people would be advised to take a plastic bag with them to keep their phones in on some of the water rides, the Bilge-rats Barge is probably the wettest ride I have ever experienced anywhere so much so that a phone in my pocket bit the dust... Imagine someone opening a fire hose on you and then multiply that by 10 so to avoid hearing parent complain little Johnny's phone got ruined have them get bring a ziplock (while some rides have free lockers, some of the water rides don't)

7 (Qty.), 17 year olds, not 30

thomas998

A suggestion for a quick lunch is that if you are close to the front gate of either park you have better options in City Walk than you do in either of the parks for a quick service lunch... But be prepared to pay airport prices at any of the chain fast food places in City Walk as the prices charged are significantly higher than the same place would be anywhere else in Orlando.

Also I strongly discourage you from going to Richter's Burger Co... probably some of the worst burgers for the price I've had anywhere.

Bairstow

Leaky Cauldron is great but I'd recommend Thunder Falls Terrace at Jurassic Park over Three Broomsticks. Way less crowded and the menus are surprisingly similar. If you sit to the left you get the neat experience of watching the boat waves crash against the glass.

Mythos and the various Simpsons restaurants are excellent too.

rushtest4echo

A word of warning on groups and lockers: try and avoid bringing as much as you can into the park with you unless you have a designated bag holder when you do any thrill rides. I begged colleagues in a group of 8 not to bring a lot of articles in the last time we went to Universal. They largely ignored my pleas, and because it was a crowded day, the lockers at some of the attractions were often either totally full, had a 5-10 minute wait/process to get one, or were at least super crowded and annoying. I didn't time it or anything, but between using lockers at MIB, Gringotts, Mummy, Rip Ride Garbage, Hulk, Dragons, Forbidden Journey and the water rides I think we spent well over an hour dealing with lockers.

When the wife and I go by ourselves, we actually leave every single thing in the car except for our passes, ID's and credit cards so we don't have to play the metal detector/locker game. Even the keys get stashed in the wheel well. I know that's not an option for 99% of people, but I'm happy we personally can avoid the hassle. :)

Ekohlby

Leaky Cauldron is great but I'd recommend Thunder Falls Terrace at Jurassic Park over Three Broomsticks. Way less crowded and the menus are surprisingly similar. If you sit to the left you get the neat experience of watching the boat waves crash against the glass.

Mythos and the various Simpsons restaurants are excellent too.
We have eaten twice at Thunder Falls and got food similar in type as 3 Broomsticks - but the quality was much lower at Thunder Falls We have never had our chicken at 3B's overcooked there, while it was dried out both times at Thunder Falls. The mac and cheese was inedible from Thunder Falls too. I've heard others who like Thunder Falls - as well as people saying it's inconsistent. We only ate there twice but it was a big fail both times so we gave up. We always go to 3B's now if we want chicken and ribs. We eat on the earlier side when we do lunch there - before noon - and crowds have always been fine then.

Also I strongly discourage you from going to Richter's Burger Co... probably some of the worst burgers for the price I've had anywhere.
We ate at Richter's once. It was awful - the worse food we've ever had in the park. (Thunder Falls got a second try - Richters did not). I got chicken and it was terrible. One child got beef and wasn't impressed either. If everyone is hungry and wants food now and you're near Richter's, walk just a few steps more and go to Louie's.

rushtest4echo

We have eaten twice at Thunder Falls and got food similar in type as 3 Broomsticks - but the quality was much lower at Thunder Falls We have never had our chicken at 3B's overcooked there, while it was dried out both times at Thunder Falls. The mac and cheese was inedible from Thunder Falls too. I've heard others who like Thunder Falls - as well as people saying it's inconsistent. We only ate there twice but it was a big fail both times so we gave up. We always go to 3B's now if we want chicken and ribs. We eat on the earlier side when we do lunch there - before noon - and crowds have always been fine then.

We ate at Richter's once. It was awful - the worse food we've ever had in the park. (Thunder Falls got a second try - Richters did not). I got chicken and it was terrible. One child got beef and wasn't impressed either. If everyone is hungry and wants food now and you're near Richter's, walk just a few steps more and go to Louie's.

Take a few hundred more steps and go to Potterland for that food. ;)

Bairstow

I'm surprised more people don't eat at Confisco. It's better than HP or Thunder but the same price. It's cheap and you get waited on. I do HP areas because of the ambiance- but Confisco is an overlooked gem (for value at least).

Isn't it slightly more expensive without gratuity?
Also it's not conveniently located near anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom