Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

sedati

Yeah but at least MB is still the same drop ride as before. The Observatron is nothing more than set dressing.

I don't think we should be discouraging simple whimsy. Set dressing had its place and the goal of the Observatron (when working) was to maintain some kinetics (something lacking in a lot of areas these days.)

D

Deleted member 107043

I don't think we should be discouraging simple whimsy. Set dressing had its place and the goal of the Observatron (when working) was to maintain some kinetics (something lacking in a lot of areas these days.)

Agreed, but leaving the spinner in place as a functioning ride would have easily accomplished that. It was unnecessary to build a new one and drop it at TL's entryway. Not only that the Observation's "performances" have always seemed pretty random. It's been years since I've actually seen it working.

Phroobar

IIRC, the Astro Obitor was suppose to go at the top of the tower like the Rocket Jets did before. However the mechanism was so heavy that the tower couldn't take the weight. Instead of structurally reinforcing the tower, they just put the Astro Obitor in the front of the land instead. That lack of structural reinforcing old buildings contributed to finally doing in the Rocket Rods.

SSG

Over on MiceChat, David Koenig's article indicates that Marvel Land is still a ways off:

After the Stars Wars land is completed, Fantasyland is going to be ‘refreshed.’ This is going to be the biggest rehab of the land since it was reopened in 1984. How much is going to change is unknown. However, don’t be surprised if we lose a classic attraction or two (Mr. Toad has missed the chopping block a lot of times; this time, it might not). It is going to be a high-tech makeover to bring [the land] into the 21st century.”

After the Fantasyland makeover, it will be Disney California Adventure’s turn with the formal start of an entire Marvel-themed land, which will consume a large chunk of Hollywood Land and the area around and behind Bugs Land. The Marvel Land will connect with Cars Land and don’t be surprised if Bugs Land is a casualty.

So if this is right, it's what; 4-5 years before Marvel gets going in earnest?

http://micechat.com/155827-david-koenig-disneyland-rumors-putting-off-tomorrow/

Phroobar

4-5 years of a really ugly tower and temporary cardboard overlays and then another 2-3 years of construction walls. Then we can talk about Tomorrowland!!!

SSG

This timeline doesn't make a ton of sense to me. SWL is set for late 2018/early 2019. That's when the hordes hit the park like nothing else we've seen. Disney needs to shift bodies to DCA and--individual feelings about Marvel put aside--a well executed Marvel land will help with that. Why stick a Fantasyland refresh between SWL and Marvel?

Phroobar

Does SWL add enough capacity to afford shutting down Fantasyland for a few years? It's not like they are smart enough to reduce the number of people they let into the park.

D

Deleted member 107043

This timeline doesn't make a ton of sense to me. SWL is set for late 2018/early 2019. That's when the hordes hit the park like nothing else we've seen. Disney needs to shift bodies to DCA and--individual feelings about Marvel put aside--a well executed Marvel land will help with that. Why stick a Fantasyland refresh between SWL and Marvel?

This timeline makes sense if you consider that MB was fast tracked to get an infusion of Marvel into DLR until they could design a more substantial themed land around it. Coming on the heels of the FLE in Florida and the TDL expansion it's likely the DL Fantasyland redo is farther along in development than Marvel. With all the WDI projects that have been in production over the past few years - from World of Avatar to Shanghai Disneyland to the two SW Lands - they have their hands full.

BrianLo

I said this in the other thread, the timeline doesn't make sense because it isn't accurate.

I mean we'll certainly know by July one way or the other. FL and Marvel should certainly overlap, but not sequential like the article implies. There technically is no real reason they can't start on FL, whatever it is they are doing with it, once all the island, train and Fantasmic are back online.

October82

Does SWL add enough capacity to afford shutting down Fantasyland for a few years? It's not like they are smart enough to reduce the number of people they let into the park.

I doubt it. The two SWL attractions are both expected to be fairly low capacity (by E-ticket standards, at least). The land itself likely has a lot of space compared to what is typical for DL, but there doesn't seem to be enough total capacity to dramatically offset the loss of one of the other lands for a significant amount of time.

vancee

Mission Breakout didn't make sense to a lot of people, look where we are at now.

October82

Would it be then be OK if there was movie canon to back the premise up?

I want to second the suggestion that someone else made that this post deserves its own thread. I wanted to answer this question here in case that thread doesn't happen. The short answer is no, a clever backstory (even a good one, like your suggestion, that I think few would seriously criticize) isn't enough to make this decision a good one. The problems with this aren't solved by a little known bit of trivia that someone on a forum (or even in WDI) dreamed up - the problems that people have are based on considerations about design, theme and guest experience - all things that have been discussed at length in this thread. Backstories can be part of well founded design and theme choices, but they aren't a substitute for them.

TP2000

That didn't add up for me either.

PorterRedkey

On a practical level, I wonder if it's even possible to move those ST simulators. They're huge, heavy and sunk into the ground to be stable. It seems like it would be a huge project to move them.
It seems like it would be much easier to just retheme them like they plan to do at DHS.

D

Deleted member 107043

On a practical level, I wonder if it's even possible to move those ST simulators. They're huge, heavy and sunk into the ground to be stable. It seems like it would be a huge project to move them.

Didn't they re-purpose the Body Wars simulators at EPCOT for the Iron Man Experience in Shanghai?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom