50 MAGICal Enhancements for the 50th ...

Figments Friend

I'm really curious about what the integration would look like for IASW and Disney characters. That seems like such an odd juxtaposition to me.

Look no further then the current version of Small World at Disneyland Park in sunny Southern California.
Likely similar to this, where various Disney characters will be added to most of the ride scenes as stylized figures.
England has Alice and Peter Pan, Italy has Pinocchio, Polynesian / South Pacific has Lilo & Stitch, and the list goes on and on.

Have a look -

What was once a nice tribute to how we are all the same under one sun represented by the similar looking molded dolls, now the experience has been turned into a game of 'Where's Waldo' in some respects.
Instead of just enjoying the charming and colorful cohesive scenes, Guests now ride through trying to find the character figures 'hidden' in the scene.
It is unavoidable...I even catch myself doing it sometimes.
This is exspecially true for the kids riding though...which is fun for them I am sure, so your opinion may vary.

I am not a fan of the 'characterization' of Disneyland's version of the Attraction, despite my favorite creative being involved in the project.
I get the impression it was somewhat mandated by the company, but why the sudden rush to stick in a bunch of characters you can see elsewhere in the Park..?
Seems a bit redundant and repetitive.
'Synergy' taken to the extreme maybe? I'll let others form their own opinions.

To date, I have yet to have heard a straight answer from anyone as to what the reason was at the time that Disney felt they needed to add characters to the Attraction.
Tokyo Disneyland I believe did this 'characterization' version first, and then a few years later Anaheim's Park decided it suddenly needed this addition too.
I'd really like to know why .....

-

Last edited:

aladdin2007

Look no further then the current version of Small World at Disneyland.
Likely similar to this, where various Disney characters were added to most of the ride scenes as stylized figures.

Have a look -

What was once a nice tribute to how we are all the same under one sun, it has been turned into a game of 'Where's Waldo'.

I am not a fan of the 'characterization' of Disneyland's version of the Attraction, despite my favorite creative being involved in the project.
To date, I have yet to have heard a straight answer from anyone as to what the reasoning was at the time where Disney felt they needed to add characters to the Attraction.
Tokyo Disneyland I believe did it first, and then a few years later Anaheim's Park decided it suddenly needed this addition too.

-

I agree not a fan of it, and seems like the money to do that could be used better elsewhere. How about redoing the botched ugly queue? Adding the colored fountains back?.....and or bringing the fountain back to the tiki room, and the list goes on.

When I rode small world a couple weeks ago a lady behind me was explaining to her family that this one is nowhere near as good as California because they haven't added the characters in yet and how it was so much better out west......those raising families etc seem to want characters everywhere, or Disney wants us to believe anyway it seems as well.

matt9112

Let's keep in mind this will likely be heavily marketing enfluenced. For reference I would point out their recent "17 reasons to visit Walt Disney World in 2017". That means we'll at least have some new Magic Band styles, some new foods, a new Run Disney event, and some changes to the festivals at Epcot.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/01/17-reasons-to-visit-walt-disney-world-resort-in-2017/

So a bunch of crap? That people will lap up like cats to milk?

Figments Friend

Getting back to the current discussion regarding the WDW Resort Hotels, I'd like to add some comments.

Back when the 'Value Resorts' were actually a value I think they played a very important role in enticing potential Guests to 'stay On Property' instead of off-site.
I'm talking about the time period in the late 90s into the early 2000s, when rooms used to run from $45 to $65 a night.
At those rates, and the 'free benefits' offered for staying at a Disney Resort at those times made many people, self included, decide to stay at WDW instead of elsewhere.
It was a no brainer back then.
The deal became even sweeter once Magical Express was added.

If it was not for those 'Value Resorts' existing, I for one would not have visited as often as I did.
'Moderates' did not appeal to me and the 'Deluxe' options were too expensive to me by the time I was rooming on property on a yearly basis.

Today, the 'Value Resorts' are not at all a value in any means of the word.
Rooms are now almost always over $100 a night now, often more depending on the season.
For what those hotels are, that is just too much despite the benefits offered for staying 'On Property'.
So I no longer visit WDW...have not been back since January 2013, right before MM / FP+ rolled out.
Paid $85 a night...right before all the crazy price increases ( thanks, MM / FP+ ).

I've been priced out of Orlando, and now fly 3,000 miles away to Disneyland in CA where I can stay next door to the Parks and have a terrific week long vacation for less money then staying a week at WDW.
Sounds insane, but it's true. Love it out there!
The quality of the Parks and the overall quality of the Guest experience I prefer as well.
Such a nice difference.
Highly recommend a visit.
:)

It's too bad to hear Disney is going to phase out those lower priced Resort Hotel options at WDW in the future.
I suppose it's been coming along gradually if the last few years pricing indicates, so it's no big shock, but it's still disappointing to me as I used to be a yearly visitor and always stayed at All Star Music.
'Free' airport transfers, comfy bed, hot shower, free soda ( with my 2001 big Resort mug..yeah! ).....it's all I needed.
My 16 other hours of the day was spent at the Parks.

But then again, WDW does not seem interested in retaining Guests like me.
They don't want the adults with no kids....they don't want long term, multiple decade visitors like me who remember how it used to be, and they certainly don't want to cater to those who want to maybe save a little money by offering alternative options for those who may be interested in such.
Nope, it's the newbies, young families with toddlers, 'once in a lifetimes', grandparents taking grandchildren who have money to blow, and 30 somethings buying into DVC.

Times have changed at WDW over the last few years.
This can bring good things, and not so good things.
It's all a matter of personal perspective.
Everyone's mileage will vary.

Here's hoping we see some excellent new additions / enhancements / refreshenings with the upcoming proposed 50th workload...but most of all, a re-avaluation of how recent operational decisions have impacted the Guest experience.
Improve that, and watch the profits rise even higher without having to nickel-n-dime everyone passing through the gates.

-

Last edited:

matt9112

You're making Disney's point. It doesn't make sense to have expensive tableware when guests treat them like garbage anyways.

I would argue disney invites bad behavior when they don't enforce "policy " ect ect look at dress codes? I wouldn't have guessed any exsisted but technically they do. Or look at some of the guest behavior that is allowed to occur. The place is a zoo because the zoo keeper is too PC.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A bit exaggerated, I admit, but you know they are going to classify as many rooms as possible as "Magic Kingdom view", kinda like at BLT.
To be fair my wife and I had an awesome standard view studio at BLT that had a view of Space, Astro Orbiter, and the Castle. I guess because it looked out over the parking lot/monorail people complained and they changed it. But it was awesome.
We had a Lake View room at BLT in 2009, and all we needed to do was walk out on our balcony and look left and we could see the same things. :D Didn't complain one bit, and I still wish my dad could have lived long enough for us to take him there. He and I both loved the Contemporary.
Actually BLT has surprisingly few rooms designated as MK view (the vast majority are lake view). It's only the center section above the 4th floor (floors 2 through 4 in the center are actually standard view now - that was changed after the resort opened). If you are in a room on the north side facing out towards MK but not in the center section it's still considered Lake View even though from some rooms you can see into MK and view the fireworks from your balcony (usually by looking left as you described). There's only about 50 two bedroom eqivalent rooms that are MK view, plus a half dozen 3 bedroom grand villas. Here's a diagram I swiped from another site:

IMG_0675.JPG

Here's a picture from one of the Lake view rooms facing MK:
IMG_0676.JPG

brb1006

Look no further then the current version of Small World at Disneyland Park in sunny Southern California.
Likely similar to this, where various Disney characters will be added to most of the ride scenes as stylized figures.
England has Alice and Peter Pan, Italy has Pinocchio, Polynesian / South Pacific has Lilo & Stitch, and the list goes on and on.

Have a look -

What was once a nice tribute to how we are all the same under one sun represented by the similar looking molded dolls, now the experience has been turned into a game of 'Where's Waldo' in some respects.
Instead of just enjoying the charming and colorful cohesive scenes, Guests now ride through trying to find the character figures 'hidden' in the scene.
This is exspecially true for the kids riding though...which is fun for them I am sure, so your opinion may vary.

I get the impression it was somewhat mandated by the company, but why the sudden rush to stick in a bunch of characters you can see elsewhere in the Park..?

To date, I have yet to have heard a straight answer from anyone as to what the reason was at the time that Disney felt they needed to add characters to the Attraction.
Tokyo Disneyland I believe did this 'characterization' version first, and then a few years later Anaheim's Park decided it suddenly needed this addition too.

-

I still think Tokyo can get away with it since various Disney characters are featured during the Small World finale in Dreamlights (Skip to 17:55)

asianway

Actually BLT has surprisingly few rooms designated as MK view (the vast majority are lake view). It's only the center section above the 4th floor (floors 2 through 4 in the center are actually standard view now - that was changed after the resort opened). If you are in a room on the north side facing out towards MK but not in the center section it's still considered Lake View even though from some rooms you can see into MK and view the fireworks from your balcony (usually by looking left as you described). There's only about 50 two bedroom eqivalent rooms that are MK view, plus a half dozen 3 bedroom grand villas. Here's a diagram I swiped from another site:

View attachment 195041

Here's a picture from one of the Lake view rooms facing MK:
View attachment 195042
Top of the World is a common element? It was my understanding that it was retained by Disney and the continued exclusive member access was a perk.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Top of the World is a common element? It was my understanding that it was retained by Disney and the continued exclusive member access was a perk.
Honestly, I am not 100% sure. I swiped the diagram from another site so I can't vouch for its accuracy. BLT owners aren't paying for Top of the World or receiving a benefit from any profits earned there so I imagine it's not part of the real common elements. Maybe just labeled that way to show it's not part of guest room space.

Nj4mwc

The mess actually started ... when did DS actually start? 2013 or 2014? About then. The theme parks have started in some cases, again not sure whether they will attempt to use Pandora in this (maybe change one of the new attractions a bit in four years?) ... This is multi-year, covering pretty much every park and most every resort location.

Look at DCA on a much smaller scale ... 2007-2012. A few quiet years as far as construction fences and now it's a mess across at DL and you have the Marvel crapfest at DCA.

Again, conflicting info whether its 50 updates/upgrades in the parks or also includes things from new restaurants at DS to new transports (gondolas) to new look resort rooms (yeah, they all will look like IKEA designed them as rubes love throwaway furniture!)
Is the gondolas a sure thing, I think it sounds neat and my kids would love it but I would in no way pay extra for a hotel with a gondola stop

homerdance

matt9112

When BLT first came out, I'd agree. But they converted those "Theme Park View" rooms on lower floors to standard view several years ago. The categories are actually pretty generous now. You can get a "partial" theme park view from lake or standard now. Lake view is better IMO regardless. It's a moot point for me though, as BLT as a whole kinda blows compared to the other resorts :D

BUT destroyed the feel of that area so badly. Sad seeing that tragic thing there.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

Have a look -

-

We're the exact target audience that Disney is aiming at right now, and you're absolutely correct that I can see my toddler really enjoying picking out Disney characters on the ride. With that said though, small children really like picking out other things too, like red dresses and blue flowers and which animals they see and how many windows a house has and which doll is wearing a hat. The characters are visually well done, in that they do not distract too drastically from the scenes, but their appearance does detract from the IaSW message greatly, imho.

Thank you for the visual!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom