Splash Mountain fall refurbishment 2017

MerlinTheGoat

I was at WDW 2 weeks ago, rode Splash several times, and it is in very good shape. That's they way I've found it the past 4 visits (over 3 years). I wonder why a major refurb?
It IS starting to show signs of needing work, though it's in infinitely better shape than it was prior to its fantastic 2014 overhaul. Falling rockwork, broken or missing AA's, dead plants, broken jumping fountains, busted speakers, faded paint etc.

The ride is showing some age again, but it's not close to getting as bad as it was yet. I welcome another refurb if it keeps it looking as good as possible. Would be tragic if it was allowed to rot again. Could use a paint touch up and/or surface cleaning. There have also been some missing chicken AA's on the Riverboat for quite a while now. The Mr Bluebird AA in the final scene is also often not working properly. Maybe some speaker replacement or audio balacing too.

ToTBellHop

It IS starting to show signs of needing work, though it's in infinitely better shape than it was prior to its fantastic 2014 overhaul. Falling rockwork, broken or missing AA's, dead plants, broken jumping fountains, busted speakers, faded paint etc.

The ride is showing some age again, but it's not close to getting as bad as it was yet. I welcome another refurb if it keeps it looking as good as possible. Would be tragic if it was allowed to rot again. Could use a paint touch up and/or surface cleaning. There have also been some missing chicken AA's on the Riverboat for quite a while now. The Mr Bluebird AA in the final scene is also often not working properly. Maybe some speaker replacement or audio balacing too.
Exactly. Anyone else noticed how much better the rides look property-wide than a year or two ago? Things are finally turning around.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Perhaps but nothing big at MK. Some possibilities at Epcot.
Mission Space is next on the docket I've seen.

Had me nervous for a moment, Not much at EPCOT to close and the ones that are I normally enjoy... I can live without Mission Space however, and we are going with our daughter for the first time, she will be one doubt I would have gone on it anyway!

MerlinTheGoat

Exactly. Anyone else noticed how much better the rides look property-wide than a year or two ago? Things are finally turning around.
I hope so, things are definitely better than they were a few years back. Splash Mtn hasn't deteriorated that much since the last refurb. Small World has looked a lot better lately, Carousel of Progress saw some recent improvement, Big Thunder is better (excepting the third lift effects), Pirates got a great rehab, Tiki Room is now in perpetually fantastic shape (if only we could get that fountain working again).

I could compile a list of a lot more still needing attention of course, but it seems like there's a legit push to finally clean things up in the parks. Even WDW1974 seems somewhat optimistic.

Perhaps but nothing big at MK. Some possibilities at Epcot.
Hope Living with the Land is on the list. The greenhouse scenes are perpetually in great shape (as they have to be) but the interior scenes could use some serious love. Though I did notice the crocodile figures in the Rainforest scene have been returned after being absent for a while.

ToTBellHop

I hope so, things are definitely better than they were a few years back. Splash Mtn hasn't deteriorated that much since the last refurb. Small World has looked a lot better lately, Carousel of Progress saw some recent improvement, Big Thunder is better (excepting the third lift effects), Pirates got a great rehab, Tiki Room is now in perpetually fantastic shape (if only we could get that fountain working again).

I could compile a list of a lot more still needing attention of course, but it seems like there's a legit push to finally clean things up in the parks. Even WDW1974 seems somewhat optimistic.

Hope Living with the Land is on the list. The greenhouse scenes are perpetually in great shape (as they have to be) but the interior scenes could use some serious love. Though I did notice the crocodile figures in the Rainforest scene have been returned after being absent for a while.
Living with the Land indeed has a check-box.

ToTBellHop

Now if only we can get a solid Everest rehab and finally a yeti fix (74 seems to think it will never happen though)...
It'll certainly get a refurb but I also lack any optimism toward the AA. Maybe they can get that snow effect working again? Or a new snow effect that doesn't wreak havoc on sensors? And the train steam?

How about some special nighttime effects now that the park is open late? Especially when you stop at the top? And daylight, sunset, and twilight versions of the yeti cartoon when you stop inside the Mtn?

Perhaps our yeti should just be replaced with a new effect. Maybe the photo mapping they are using everywhere could even make him APPEAR to move. I bet they could do it given that it's only a couple seconds anyway.

MerlinTheGoat

It'll certainly get a refurb but I also lack any optimism toward the AA. Maybe they can get that snow effect working again? Or a new snow effect that doesn't wreak havoc on sensors? And the train steam?

How about some special nighttime effects now that the park is open late? Especially when you stop at the top? And daylight, sunset, and twilight versions of the yeti cartoon when you stop inside the Mtn?

Perhaps our yeti should just be replaced with a new effect. Maybe the photo mapping they are using everywhere could even make him APPEAR to move. I bet they could do it given that it's only a couple seconds anyway.
I wouldn't be satisfied with a projection effect replacing the animatronic. I can't really decide if it would be better than the stationary mannequin they have now, but I really want the figure to actually move again and would be irritated to see anything less. No offense. Shame it sounds like there aren't any real plans or desire to get it fixed...

I doubt this will ever happen, but i'd also like to see the backwards tunnel enclosed with actual rockwork. There's a lot of potential, especially if they do some sort of icy cavern with cool lighting and extra yeti hints for buildup (a projection could work well here at least with some distorted icy reflections, similar to what they added to the Matterhorn recently).

Magic Feather

While Yeti fix is on the "Let's give Rohde a token project to appease him before the next corporate sell out" list, I doubt we would see it anytime soon, if ever. M:S is next for a semi-major refurb in EPCOT, although, I heard as early as late 2017 for it to be done. IIRC, there is a major MK refurb for early 2018 on the line, but is subject to being cut. PS- If you have construction wall phobia, WDW in 2018 will be ypur worst nightmare.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
While Yeti fix is on the "Let's give Rohde a token project to appease him before the next corporate sell out" list, I doubt we would see it anytime soon, if ever. M:S is next for a semi-major refurb in EPCOT, although, I heard as early as late 2017 for it to be done. IIRC, there is a major MK refurb for early 2018 on the line, but is subject to being cut. PS- If you have construction wall phobia, WDW in 2018 will be ypur worst nightmare.
So what you are saying is they will be starting work on the 50th birthday cake castle:cool:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
AFAIK, the unspoken rule of refurbs is no more than two major E's down at a time (barring two day quickees). Even then, the two must be at separate parks. Rule gets bumped to 3 for D's and for C's and below it is four with in park overlap allowed. Not a policy, but a rule of thumb. Yes, Splash is early because they have bigger fish (plural) to fry. Which fish is chosen is yet to be seen, although I highly doubt BTM is chosen, also highly doubt anything in FL barring pan will be chosen.
In Roller Coaster Tycoon, when a ride goes down, you fix it, and fix it right then, or the program makes you hire another maintenance worker. If your rides start breaking down frequently, you tear them out and replace them, or they blow up and kill guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom