Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarshipDisney

I would not mind at all to see this attraction replaced with something new. Last time I rode it in 2016 I thought it was simply getting old and outdated.

djkidkaz

They need to do something with Adventureland. Do any of the Disney parks have a really nice take on adventureland? It always seems to be the land that they just throw pirates and jungle cruise in and call it a day. I would like to see them re-imagine what an adventureland could be.

SteamboatJoe

While I would probably prefer new attractions here (not TRON), a Sugar Rush overlay almost makes too much sense . Cheaper than building new and it's aesthetic is colorful and wild enough to match Fantasyland. At the same time the video game angle warrants its proximity to Tomorrowland.

Cars would be a stretch but not out of the question. The Cars aesthetic lends itself more to the rock work in Frontierland though I'm not sure I would like to see it there either.

Last edited:

Nickels5

It was a legit plan but now seems to be falling out of favour for an easier to implement TRON attraction.

Plus, why have two coasters in the dark side by side?
Would the new tron attraction be replacing an existing one or would it be a new build?

MrHappy

I'd like it, but I think it's probably unlikely to happen.

Something has to replace the Speedway though, for Fantasy or Tomorrow (or both).
Interesting thought, I never thought of reducing TL size and increasing FL by giving the Speedway plot to FL. Hmmmm. But it seems like the Speedway plot is hinted to stay as a Tomorrowland attraction, or a gigantic Starbucks.

doctornick

There's FAILING Jim Hill again WITH HIS FALLING RATINGS and his FAKE NEWS. Sad!

No Tron, no how. We have the BEST people working on Tomorrowland. Just terrific. You are going to love Tomorrowland in 2021. Believe me.

In all honesty, they considered it and said no.
Considered. Unlikely.

To be clear here: You guys are saying "no" to the idea of the Tron Coaster replacing the Speedway. But not necessary "no" to the idea of something else replacing the Speedway. Would that be a fair assessment?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
In a latest podcast, Jim Hill said that the highly successful Shanghai Tron Coaster might be a possibility for the Tomorrowland Speedway. Tomorrowland would become kind of a gateway to other worlds such as Wreck-it-Ralph and Tron. Of course, if they could ever get Tron 3 off the ground, the coaster might become a reality. Would you give up the Tomorrowland Speedway for the Tron coaster?
If Speedway was smart, when they bought the rights to run the gas stations, they inked in a clause that requires WDW to keep Tomorrowland Speedway through the contract term. Nothing like a little in-park advertising...

21stamps

I would not mind at all to see this attraction replaced with something new. Last time I rode it in 2016 I thought it was simply getting old and outdated.

I think sometimes a classic ride can be very enjoyable, and a nice break from the "new" ones. There's no special effects, just experiencing, laughing, and having good old fashioned fun.
I feel this way about the Speedway, Tom Sawyer's Island, and the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse.

Bocabear

but maybe classic as in "Jetson's" retro futurist cars... make them electric...add sets and sounds to the speedway and you have an instant classic... moving props. sound effects and a fun score. No IP, just lots of fun....and people would TOTALLY buy the toy versions of the retro cars...along with the retro graphic Ts.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
but maybe classic as in "Jetson's" retro futurist cars... make them electric...add sets and sounds to the speedway and you have an instant classic... moving props. sound effects and a fun score. No IP, just lots of fun....and people would TOTALLY buy the toy versions of the retro cars...along with the retro graphic Ts.
The Jetsons is an IP -- and it belongs to Hanna-Barbera, and they sell their IPs in big packages to other theme parks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom