50 MAGICal Enhancements for the 50th ...

DznyRktekt

I have a feeling the loss of resort hierarchy will result in a homogenized product. Socialized accommodations.
upload_2017-3-20_12-18-24.png

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm still confused about how they can start to take away the resort categories. The amenities and room size differentiate the classes alone. Outside entrance compared to inside rooms, square footage, fine dining options, resort pools all are quite different from moderate to deluxe?

Resort pricing is likely to be about three things: Location, location, and location. And maybe how deep your pockets are, or how big your credit limit is.

- "May we suggest a room near Disney's Magic Kingdom Park? Rooms with fantastic views of Cinderella Castle, starting at only $399/night!!! (based on availability)"

No?
- "You can get a room near Disney's Hollywood Studios, home of the new MAGICAL!!! Star Wars Land? Rooms start at only $249/night!! (based on availability)."

Don't like that option?
- "You may like a room near Disney's Animal Kingdom, starting at $149/night (based on availability)!"

You get the idea. Gotta keep those margins high, you know. Disney doesn't care what you actually want, they only care about how much money they can extract from parents looking to give their kids that MAGICAL!!! Disney vacation.

Magenta Panther

There are worse things than themes being separated by 1/4 of a park, but it would be better than introducing the Energy dinosaurs in MK. The train in Animal Kingdom is beautiful equipment and that existing infrastructure could/should be used in a way to rival Hogwarts Express. It could be a time traveling train that exposes guests to animals real and mythical throughout time. Think steampunk/ Jules Vern/ H.G. Wells.

That is one of the most AWESOME ideas I've read here in some time. Kudos!

Princess Leia

There are worse things than themes being separated by 1/4 of a park, but it would be better than introducing the Energy dinosaurs in MK. The train in Animal Kingdom is beautiful equipment and that existing infrastructure could/should be used in a way to rival Hogwarts Express. It could be a time traveling train that exposes guests to animals real and mythical throughout time. Think steampunk/ Jules Vern/ H.G. Wells.
I'm getting a 'Discovery River Boats' vibe here.

Reskin the Aladar AA (aka save it from it's misery in Paris), add it to the Energy dinos (or put it nearby), throw in some Avatar & Beastly Kingdom elements, and add some African and Asian animals to the mix.

*Q*

I honestly have always thought that Disney should have never gone the tiered resort categories route in the first place. They should have all always been built at the quality of the Polynesian and Contemporary, but with different tiers of rooms. So, say, build a sports-themed resort with the intricate details and amenities of, say, the Wilderness Lodge, but then have Deluxe, Moderate, and Value-tiered rooms within that same resort.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I'm really curious about what the integration would look like for IASW and Disney characters. That seems like such an odd juxtaposition to me.

Clamman73

I do hope there is plans to at least modify TTC from it's oddly early 90's colors and to at least make it more of a modern Turn of the Century look to it...I mean the colors remind me of the old logo used for Disney Home Video...
TTC%2005.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
Was hoping back to this with updated LED lighting...revamped TTC signage can be #36 of 50...or something like that.
Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 1.38.00 PM.png

Shadowgate

I was afraid to ride for a few years, after hearing some stories from people with experience with the attraction. Some of those issues were fixed and I do ride again from time to time. That said, a coaster only has limited lifespan. The Hulk at IOA was recently rebuilt -- and not to move it to EPCOT because Chappie ordered UNI to give it up for a few leftover MAGIC Bands and a plush to be named later -- and is greatly improved (although still not where I think it should be). Space Mountain was a cutting edge attraction in the 70s and into the 80s, but really should have been upgraded in the New 'But Not Really' Tomorrowland project of 1994-95. It is a relic now. It doesn't matter whether you or anyone enjoys it. But it could and should be an attraction talked about by park-goers and visitors because it is mindblowing fun -- like it once was. Not because you've ridden it 478 times and love it just the way it is.

I road Space Mountain on my first visit to WDW at age 10 in 1975 and loved the ride. I road it multiple times that trip and road it during multiple trip (seven or eight during that time) in the following 10 or 15 years. I stopped riding it altogether in the late 90s when it seemed just too rough and only just road it again in 2015 with my 13 year old daughter who loved and hated it. Hated it due to how rough it is compare to most current day coasters. My wife and I came off it feeling like we had been abused. Space Mountain total refurb or rework should be one of the must do's for the 50th, IMHO. I think it would also be great the raceway to get some major love away from the fume spewing engines. :)

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Resort pricing is likely to be about three things: Location, location, and location. And maybe how deep your pockets are, or how big your credit limit is.

- "May we suggest a room near Disney's Magic Kingdom Park? Rooms with fantastic views of Cinderella Castle, starting at only $399/night!!! (based on availability)"

No?
- "You can get a room near Disney's Hollywood Studios, home of the new MAGICAL!!! Star Wars Land? Rooms start at only $249/night!! (based on availability)."

Don't like that option?
- "You may like a room near Disney's Animal Kingdom, starting at $149/night (based on availability)!"

You get the idea. Gotta keep those margins high, you know. Disney doesn't care what you actually want, they only care about how much money they can extract from parents looking to give their kids that MAGICAL!!! Disney vacation.

Magic Kingdom view rooms for $399????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH…breathe…HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Okay, I'm good now. I needed a laugh this afternoon!

In all seriousness, I think the model is spot on to their thinking.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Magic Kingdom view rooms for $399????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH…breathe…HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Okay, I'm good now. I needed a laugh this afternoon!

In all seriousness, I think the model is spot on to their thinking.

I didn't want to give anyone sticker shock. :D I doubt they would charge less than double that for a MK-view room. I can just imagine some of the conversations that will come from that classification:

"We can only see the tip-top of Cinderella Castle over all the trees!"
"Well, sir, that's part of Magic Kingdom Park, so that is considered an MK-view room. Here's a FastPass+ reservation for tonight's 'Happily Ever After' show!"

"I can only see MK if I lean out over the railing on my balcony"
"Well, sir, that's still a view of Magic Kingdom Park, so that is considered an MK-view room. Here's a FastPass+ reservation for tonight's 'Happily Ever After' show!"

"I can see only the smoke from the railroad and the top of Space Mountain"
"Well, sir, that's part of Magic Kingdom Park, so that is considered an MK-view room. Here's a FastPass+ reservation for tonight's 'Happily Ever After' show!"

A bit exaggerated, I admit, but you know they are going to classify as many rooms as possible as "Magic Kingdom view", kinda like at BLT.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
I didn't want to give anyone sticker shock. :D I doubt they would charge less than double that for a MK-view room. I can just imagine some of the conversations that will come from that classification:

"We can only see the tip-top of Cinderella Castle over all the trees!"

"I can only see MK if I lean out over the railing on my balcony"
"Well, sir, that's still a view of Magic Kingdom Park, so that is considered an MK-view room. Here's a FastPass+ reservation for tonight's 'Happily Ever After' show!"

"I can see only the smoke from the railroad and the top of Space Mountain"

A bit exaggerated, I admit, but you know they are going to classify as many rooms as possible as "Magic Kingdom view", kinda like at BLT.

To be fair my wife and I had an awesome standard view studio at BLT that had a view of Space, Astro Orbiter, and the Castle. I guess because it looked out over the parking lot/monorail people complained and they changed it. But it was awesome.[/QUOTE]

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
To be fair my wife and I had an awesome standard view studio at BLT that had a view of Space, Astro Orbiter, and the Castle. I guess because it looked out over the parking lot/monorail people complained and they changed it. But it was awesome.

We had a Lake View room at BLT in 2009, and all we needed to do was walk out on our balcony and look left and we could see the same things. :D Didn't complain one bit, and I still wish my dad could have lived long enough for us to take him there. He and I both loved the Contemporary.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Resort pricing categories are from the days of printed material to help you narrow your choices. With the internet, room hunting is easily sorted and filtered by price.

"I want to stay at a monorail resort!" <tapping on keyboard> "Oh, dear, at least $600 a night. What's available at $150 a night at the most?" <tapping on keyboard> "All Stars, here we come!"

The advantage of dropping the "deluxe" category is that WDW will stop having to explain why a room at the Polynesian really isn't a five star experience despite the price. "But you're paying more for access and closeness and theming!... Not necessarily for quality or amenities!"

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I never stayed in a unit with a mini fridge...lol But yeah, we have seen lots of damage, mostly at Bay Lake. The unit we had at Saratoga last year was in good shape.

Last rental at BLT had refrigerator door bashed in about 6" and the carafe for the coffee pot was broken, And yes refrigerator was non-functional, To be honest most of the actual damage to the property that i've seen has been at BLT, The other resorts just seem to suffer from a lack of 'LOVE' i.e. the worn plates in Kidani etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom