Will Discovery Island ever be turned into something?

NiarrNDisney

Unfortunately at this point no the island has become a wild life reserve for a certain species of bird.

Also there were issues with evacuations should an emergency ever occur.

The_Bellringer

Original Poster
Unfortunately at this point no the island has become a wild life reserve for a certain species of bird.

Also there were issues with evacuations should an emergency ever occur.
Wow I never knew that. Well, I guess keeping it for the birds' sake is better than nothing.

And I hadn't thought of evacuations. That would be a disaster waiting to happen.

larandtra

I recall visiting it many many years ago, as with River country. Discovery Island was cool and a nice respite from parks. I would not see it in the plans to make use of it anytime soon. The videos of those areas people who have "snuck" in and taken are really creepy.

Tom 55

What the Island looked like September 2016.

Attachments

• IMG_4720.JPG
    IMG_4720.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_4717.JPG
    IMG_4717.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 201

blueboxdoctor

I doubt it. It's not a very big space, so it could easily get over crowded, and I don't really see what they could put there at this point. I know there was some sort of rumor that back in the 90s I think, they were possibly going to team up with the company that made the video game Myst, and have a sort of interactive Myst island there (which, other than being a fondly remembered game, many more games have come since then, so it would have been quickly dated).

Plus, it seems it basically grew into Animal Kingdom, so the actual attraction of the animals still exists, and in a much larger area.

The_Bellringer

Original Poster
I doubt it. It's not a very big space, so it could easily get over crowded, and I don't really see what they could put there at this point. I know there was some sort of rumor that back in the 90s I think, they were possibly going to team up with the company that made the video game Myst, and have a sort of interactive Myst island there (which, other than being a fondly remembered game, many more games have come since then, so it would have been quickly dated).

Plus, it seems it basically grew into Animal Kingdom, so the actual attraction of the animals still exists, and in a much larger area.
Could they ever turn it into a deluxe resort, or is it not big enough? I think an island oasis, 5 star hotel would appeal to some.

blueboxdoctor

Could they ever turn it into a deluxe resort, or is it not big enough? I think an island oasis, 5 star hotel would appeal to some.
I would assume it is too small, but maybe something like the bungalows they keep building. Still, I think they'd rather put their resources into a much larger area to build on.

Marijil

my understanding is that Walt spotted it when scouting Florida properties from the sky and mused that he "could do something with that"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom