News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

October82

To wonder why Disney, the perfect multimedia company, doesn't do that is beyond me. Overall I would guess that some of the reason has to do with that the powers that be in Burbank never think of WDW as anything more than a vacation place. They never see its other potentials. Sad thing is that they used to.

At some point the company forgot that synergy can go both ways and that the parks are their own IP.

larandtra

Jim Hill isnt the most reliable "source" as has been proven over time. He misses quite a bit and when he does hear a rumor and post it and gets it right everyone seems to think he knows something. the reality is if you throw enough crap out there eventually a blind squirrel finds a nut. Screamscape is about as reliable as Jim Hill is.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Jim Hill is saying that a Cars 3 "overlay" could be coming to Test Track? Ugh. Abysmal. It's hard to remain optimistic about modern imagineering with ideas such as these thrown around.

Our insiders have been saying the same thing for at least half a year. Test Track "may" get an overlay. It "may" be Candy Rush or Cars. It "may" get truncated. It "may" be demolished and replaced.

What "could" happen is up in the air. So, many things "could" be planned.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I'd think so, which is funny to me because it seems like the renewal was pretty recent. TT isn't even in what I'd consider the top ten issues in Epcot.
I don't think you can look at it that way. If GM ends their sponsorship, Disney would have to do SOMETHING to change it, even if it were the greatest attraction of all time.

FigmentForver96

I don't think you can look at it that way. If GM ends their sponsorship, Disney would have to do SOMETHING to change it, even if it were the greatest attraction of all time.
GM has been the most consistent sponsor for the park, but even if they did drop out, they wouldn't HAVE to change the ride. Signage and such yes but not the ride. Space Mountain has seen sponsors before and nothing major changed after they dropped their sponsorship.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Are you suggesting GM suddenly wants out? Test Track is one of the few pavilions in FW for which I'm not aware of any projects.
I have no inside information. Somebody else introduced the possibility of an overlay / refurb at the Test Track pavilion. I assume any change at that pavilion at this point in time would be driven by the Disney / GM relationship and not by any creative factors.

GM has been the most consistent sponsor for the park, but even if they did drop out, they wouldn't HAVE to change the ride. Signage and such yes but not the ride. Space Mountain has seen sponsors before and nothing major changed after they dropped their sponsorship.
I don't think Test Track makes sense without an auto sponsor. GM is part of the attraction, not just a name on the sign.

CJR

Right, but to what degree is the question. TT is pretty GM heavy, but a lot of it could easily exist with a more generic sim car ride. I would much prefer the GM branding, but I'm just saying, reworking it into something else entirely wouldn't be something I'd want personally (over other areas of Epcot, if the rest of the park were in better shape, absolutely, just not for Cars imho). This would be the one time I'd be OK with Disney doing the cheap thing.

That's also if GM pulled out. If Disney has a new vision for the attraction, that doesn't necessarily mean GM couldn't remain a sponsor for it. They do sponsor the Tron coaster in Shanghai, I believe. So, it wouldn't be the first IP based attraction they've slapped one of their brands onto.

RoysCabin

What if the park hosted TED talks speakers as well?

Or just any type of similar setup; I mentioned awhile ago that I've love to see space in Communicore/Innoventions dedicated to having talks/demonstrations/debates/performances/etc. with people from academia, science, the arts, and more. You could have schools come in for trips to see it, involve local colleges, or do like what some people mentioned earlier, e.g. a "baseline" ticket to an event like that and then the regular daily ticket to visit the rest of EPCOT. It'd be a nice way to distinguish the park from anywhere else in the theme park world, plus it'd give a nice excuse to resurrect the old school pavilion logos (e.g. somebody coming in to demonstrate alternative fuel sources would have a patch or tag with the Universe of Energy logo, a collegiate chamber orchestra could wear the Imagination logo, city planners debating the future of urbanism might have Horizons, diplomats in World Showcase compass logos, etc.).

Then you bring back a form of the Centorium to sell books and various odds and ends pertaining to the subjects covered. No, it wouldn't have to get rid of Mouse Gears, but it'd be something extra to tag on.

Armchair imagineering during work hours, I've got to cut back on that.

Clamman73

With that new Cars character...it has Test Track colors to it, so I wouldn't say a TT overlay per se...I would do something like the car you make competes against that character within the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom