(RUMOR) Rivers Of Light to end in 2020 replaced with new show featuring Disney characters

brb1006

Original Poster
In today's recent episode of @lentesta's of Disney Dish Podcast with Jim Hill titled "Stories We'll Tell in 2018" for Walt Disney World . Jim brought up that Rivers Of Life will run until 2020 at Animal Kingdom. What's also brought up is that a new show featuring Disney characters is set to debut in 2021 in time for Walt Disney World's 50th Anniversary. Not that much is know about this show so far.

It's also reported that Rivers Of Light is doing poorly with preschool aged children which is the key demographic for the company.

doctornick

Disclaimer: I have not seen RoL yet and am holding off watching online until I see it in person in upcoming months.

My initial thought with this rumor is that people often gripe about shows not changing regularly. A 4 year run for RoL and then being replaced with a new show actually seems pretty reasonable, no matter what the rationale is for the change.

I guess we know another of the 50 things for the 50th anniversary if this comes to pass. ;)

So, I have not seen RoL but I full expect to enjoy it quite a bit. But, that said, I don't necessarily thing an IP heavy show is wrong; it would depend on the execution. If the show was heavy in the photorealistic live action Disney animals (recent Jungle Book, presumably the new Lion King and Dumbo, the live action 101 Dalmatians, or the animals from Maleficent or Cinderella, heck they could even use Elliot from the recent Pete's Dragon), plus some Disneynature stuff, heck maybe even something from Avatar, then I think it might work and be harmonious with the vibe of the park. Again, depends on execution of the new show including the music and whatever is used for floats.

I kind of take this news as whatever. It may or may not happen. And it may or may not be good when it does. In the meantime, I'll just see RoL and hopefully savor it while it lasts.

Magic Feather

Rivers of Light should not (and most likely will not) be replaced until the other three parks have their nighttime shows cycled out with a real replacement (looking at you Happily Ever After). We could expect a (real) replacement next at RoE, then MK again. The sad thing is that DHS needs a fresh cycle more than any other park, but that seems least likely at the moment.

jt04

Rivers of Light should not (and most likely will not) be replaced until the other three parks have their nighttime shows cycled out with a real replacement (looking at you Happily Ever After). We could expect a (real) replacement next at RoE, then MK again. The sad thing is that DHS needs a fresh cycle more than any other park, but that seems least likely at the moment.

Great to hear RoE to get a reimagining. Much overdue!

Siren

2ptdsts.jpg

27x1jr8.jpg

f54l5v.jpg

The water in Rivers of Light is just way too dark. Disney needs to illuminate the water like they do on Glow Tours.

15plhjq.jpg

If Disney has to have an IP show for the sake of synergy, this obvious choice is Moana. The film has a powerful soundtrack and chock full of elements that compliment AK's gorgeous landscape.

33w75dv.png

35mmwdj.jpg

The massive sails on these tiny boats are stunning. Disney could even utilize the sails as screens for images.

Disney can also incorporate some of the beautiful pieces from Rivers of Light. Or, just keep it as Rivers of Light featuring Disney's Moana.

brb1006

Original Poster
And the show has been up and running for a couple weeks now.

brb1006

Original Poster
2ptdsts.jpg

27x1jr8.jpg

f54l5v.jpg

The water in Rivers of Light is just way too dark. Disney needs to illuminate the water like they do on Glow Tours.

15plhjq.jpg

If Disney has to have an IP show for the sake of synergy, this obvious choice is Moana. The film has a powerful soundtrack and chock full of elements that compliment AK's gorgeous landscape.

33w75dv.png

35mmwdj.jpg

The massive sails on these tiny boats are stunning. Disney could even utilize the sails as screens for images.

Disney can also incorporate some of the beautiful pieces from Rivers of Light. Or, just keep it as Rivers of Light featuring Disney's Moana.
Glow Tours? What's that's an interesting idea and concept.

brb1006

Original Poster
The sails are already screens for images and shadow puppetry.

The idea of floats having lighting at their bases is a good solution for adding extra color if they can't ever debug the 100 mini lanterns.
I really hope Disney keeps the idea of floats with lights on their bases in the future. It even makes the water more easier to see.

FigmentJedi

Another reminder of why being dead focused on little kids leads to terrible decisions: Kids being bored during test screenings almost lead to The Little Mermaid losing "Part of Your World". Howard Ashman fought Katzenberg hard in order to keep that number in the movie and it paid off.

HMF

Another reminder of why being dead focused on little kids leads to terrible decisions: Kids being bored during test screenings almost lead to The Little Mermaid losing "Part of Your World". Howard Ashman fought Katzenberg hard in order to keep that number in the movie and it paid off.
Howard Ashman was one of the few creative geniuses in Disney History. (The others being Walt himself and John Lasseter( despite his flaws.)

FigmentJedi

Howard Ashman was one of the few creative geniuses in Disney History. (The others being Walt himself and John Lasseter( despite his flaws.)
I think John gets too much credit. The real genius behind pre-buyout Pixar was Joe Ranft and while the rest of the story trust old guard kept making great work, John's just been playing with his Hot Wheels and looking over Disney Feature Animation's shoulder.

HMF

I think John gets too much credit. The real genius behind pre-buyout Pixar was Joe Ranft and while the rest of the story trust old guard kept making great work, John's just been playing with his Hot Wheels and looking over Disney Feature Animation's shoulder.
I actually agree with that assessment. I thought at the time they bought Pixar that Lasseter would be the savior WDFA needed. Instead he's just turned it into Pixar South.

Siren

The sails are already screens for images and shadow puppetry.

The idea of floats having lighting at their bases is a good solution for adding extra color if they can't ever debug the 100 mini lanterns.
Disney should definitely follow through on the glowing lanterns.

15g2syg.jpg

It would be amazing to see a hundred glowing lanterns float in from the sky and land gently on the water. Even if they can't fly it would still be so beautiful. I hope Disney doesn't give up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom