How Much Security is Too Much?

mousehockey37

The best kind of Security is the kind that you can not see, imo.

I said in a previous post here that I would most likely discontinue staying at those resorts if they become the way it sounds. You're preaching to the choir on that one.

I'll disagree. Having the peace of mind seeing the security as well as knowing that there is a much bigger force behind the scenes is best.

I preach to no choir. Disney will have no problem filling what would be your reservation.

21stamps

Original Poster
I'll disagree. Having the peace of mind seeing the security as well as knowing that there is a much bigger force behind the scenes is best.

I preach to no choir. Disney will have no problem filling what would be your reservation.
I have no doubt on if they will still fill the rooms or not. I never said they wouldn't. I would be curious to know if other lifetime/longtime patrons would also stop staying at them. Even with that, the rooms will still fill though.. so it won't impact any of the resort reservations.

Last edited:

mouse_luv

I have no doubt on if they will still fill the rooms or not. I never said they wouldn't. I would be curious to know if other lifetime/longtime patrons would also stop staying at them. Even with that, the rooms will still fill though.. so it won't impact any of the resort reservations.
I'm a lifer and I won't stop staying bc of security or gator gates.

AndyS2992

All of the resorts? Or just the Seven Seas Lagoon/Bay Lake ones?
Resorts, parks, transport, Boardwalk and Springs, ESPN, the lot. Disney is a prime terrorist target and the more security the better. Yes it's a minor inconvenience but what would you prefer, giving a few minutes of your time for a security check to help protect you or have you or your children be shot walking down Main Street? :(

I visit Disneyland Paris frequently which is a big terrorist target right now but fortunately they are prepared, Disney World however could do with some improvement.

21stamps

Original Poster
Resorts, parks, transport, Boardwalk and Springs, ESPN, the lot. Disney is a prime terrorist target and the more security the better. Yes it's a minor inconvenience but what would you prefer, giving a few minutes of your time for a security check to help protect you or have you or your children be shot walking down Main Street? :(

I visit Disneyland Paris frequently which is a big terrorist target right now but fortunately they are prepared, Disney World however could do with some improvement.

I'm not against security at the parks, at all. Or even the monorails. Only when resorts start having multiple security checkpoints..including to use their amenities.

Does ESPN not do bag checks? I've never been there so I have no clue.

Walt Disney World can pretty easily control access to their property.
My suggestion is to set up security stops at all access points onto the property.
All cars must be registered to guests or people with tickets or wanting to buy tickets.
Those already registered are allowed to pass after a simple scan or ID check.
Those unregistered will go to a different line for a more extensive vehicle and security check.

Now you are controlling all vehicles coming into the facility.
Disney can also make the process quicker by offering guests to pay to be on a security check list or work that into the overall ticket price.
Guests will undergo a simple background check and receive a guest clearance so they can pass through more easily.

It's really not very difficult and not incredibly expensive to undertake. By doing so they can ensure all guests are registered and have controlled access to the properties.
There may be some wait for unregistered guests to get in, but once you check all guests coming onto the property you no longer have to check guests going to resorts, into parks or elsewhere because the entire property is secure.

PatInCT

I'm sorry but I think a plan like that is just more "security theater". An accomplice gets "registered" and on a subsequent reentry to the property can bring in any dangerous items they want in their trunk. I also don't think it's workable to have drug sniffing dogs and a teardown of cars looking for hidden gun and ammo (how long would those lines be).

I was there last week and found the long lines to get in at EPCOT to be too slowly moving (do I want to blow 20 minutes of my $100+/person day standing in a line just to get in?) It wasn't a problem at the MK later that day though.

The security is getting too intrusive. We travelled there 2 months after 9/11 (airfares were $99 rt and hotel rooms near the former Downtown Disney were $29/night). We're getting beyond reasonable for security everywhere.

I personally am getting tired getting screened at airports, amusement parks, arenas. Someone tell me how many acts of mass violence were averted by all of this standing in line? I'd rather live a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
The best security is security in-depth. Multiple overlapping layers filtering from macro to micro, weeding out the non-threats and unlikely threats so you can concentrate on the maybes and definitelys...

I've stayed in hotels outside the US where (a) your car was searched before entering the grounds (underneath, passenger compartment and trunk), then (b) guests entered the lobby thru a magnetometer with zero-allowed beeps; beeps resulted in a pat-down and wanding, (c) luggage went thru an x-ray machine, (d) guests were restricted to the lobby or hotel meeting rooms, and they went thru the same security.

What made me happy was that employees, suppliers and their vehicles went thru nearly the same level of security checks. Too many times the customers get the security treatment but the trades and suppliers waltz right in like they work there.

It's intrusive, yes, but when there's a recognized threat, you put up with it.

21stamps

Original Poster
The best security is security in-depth. Multiple overlapping layers filtering from macro to micro, weeding out the non-threats and unlikely threats so you can concentrate on the maybes and definitelys...

I've stayed in hotels outside the US where (a) your car was searched before entering the grounds (underneath, passenger compartment and trunk), then (b) guests entered the lobby thru a magnetometer with zero-allowed beeps; beeps resulted in a pat-down and wanding, (c) luggage went thru an x-ray machine, (d) guests were restricted to the lobby or hotel meeting rooms, and they went thru the same security.

What made me happy was that employees, suppliers and their vehicles went thru nearly the same level of security checks. Too many times the customers get the security treatment but the trades and suppliers waltz right in like they work there.

It's intrusive, yes, but when there's a recognized threat, you put up with it.

That's thorough security. Not saying I want that in America, or anywhere that I vacation.. but if you want "safety" then what you just described is the way to do it. If you only secure certain areas, and search certain people in said areas, then all you're doing is creating targets elsewhere in the (very close) vicinity.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
That's thorough security. Not saying I want that in America, or anywhere that I vacation.. but if you want "safety" then what you just described is the way to do it. If you only secure certain areas, and search certain people in said areas, then all you're doing is creating targets elsewhere in the (very close) vicinity.
Well, it's not like I had a choice...

Chef Mickey

Im not a big, let's go nuts on security for the sake of doing so, but Disney needs to get serious (or more serious) about security.

I'm not saying they do a poor job and I know there is a lot we can't see, but the biggest security measure in place today is the deterrent of "checking" bags.

We all know the issues with the current process, so I think they need to break down and invest in a giant bank of of metal detectors and X-ray machines that will at least find guns. We know we are headed there anyway and I'd hate for a tragic event to be what forces them to do it.

It's a Mickey Mouse operation now, no pun intended and needs to be ramped closer to airport security, but huge dollars spent on streamlining. The cost would be peanuts compared to the impact of a tragic event I could easily see happening.

Chef Mickey

People need to relax and just go on vacation. In the end, if something's going to happen, it's going to happen. Most of the people that complain about the security measures are ones that know what happens in bag check/screening and they still hold up the line. If you make the job easy for them, they're normally pretty good at getting you through quick.

I take my camera backpack and stuff and I know that when I get to bag check that yup, I open all the pouches, have everything visible, etc. and what happens? Security will see that and get to me quicker because I'm ready for it, unlike other guests.

With Disney still being one of the top travel destinations in the entire world, I think they do a pretty good job at keeping everyone safe. Again, if someone's got a crazy notion of pulling something off, they're gonna do it regardless of what security/checkpoints are in place.
What kind of philosophy is, "if something is going to happen, it's going to happen?"

That's totally ridiculous. You can control or attempt to prevent many things. You could say something like, "if it's going to rain, it's going to rain," but not simply lump everything into a powerless, it will happen regardless type category.

Take airline safety. Millions of dollars are spent to prevent and avoid air crashes and the same is true with security. You're trying to prevent tragedy and Disney can absolutely do better.

mouse_luv

I'm sorry but I think a plan like that is just more "security theater". An accomplice gets "registered" and on a subsequent reentry to the property can bring in any dangerous items they want in their trunk. I also don't think it's workable to have drug sniffing dogs and a teardown of cars looking for hidden gun and ammo (how long would those lines be).

I was there last week and found the long lines to get in at EPCOT to be too slowly moving (do I want to blow 20 minutes of my $100+/person day standing in a line just to get in?) It wasn't a problem at the MK later that day though.

The security is getting too intrusive. We travelled there 2 months after 9/11 (airfares were $99 rt and hotel rooms near the former Downtown Disney were $29/night). We're getting beyond reasonable for security everywhere.

I personally am getting tired getting screened at airports, amusement parks, arenas. Someone tell me how many acts of mass violence were averted by all of this standing in line? I'd rather live a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.
That's interesting because EPCOT is the only Park that actually runs their security checks accurately and efficiently. All strollers etc to the outsides and others to the inside tables etc. Not that difficult to comprehend.

Matt_Black

What kind of philosophy is, "if something is going to happen, it's going to happen?"

That's totally ridiculous. You can control or attempt to prevent many things. You could say something like, "if it's going to rain, it's going to rain," but not simply lump everything into a powerless, it will happen regardless type category.

Take airline safety. Millions of dollars are spent to prevent and avoid air crashes and the same is true with security. You're trying to prevent tragedy and Disney can absolutely do better.

I think the security measures are largely useless. You're more likely to die of a bee sting or heart disease than a terrorist or mass shooter. I don't see Disney screening people for cholesterol or high blood pressure at the gates.

Chef Mickey

I think the security measures are largely useless. You're more likely to die of a bee sting or heart disease than a terrorist or mass shooter. I don't see Disney screening people for cholesterol or high blood pressure at the gates.
Apples and oranges, clearly.

Although likelihood is small, a tragic event is more likely at Disney because of the massive amount of people and its iconic worldwide presence.

Disney already spent millions after a once in a lifetime tragedy and the obviously see importance in this. They just need to go all the way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom