New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

FigmentJedi

Insiders: What was Cirque du Soliel's involvement with the show?
There wasn't any: Most of the show's major creatives were tied to the Lion King franchise.

Mark Mancina worked on the Broadway Lion King as well as Brother Bear, Tarzan and Moana. Production designer Michael Curry designed puppets for Broadway Lion King, Tapestry of Nations, Jammin' Jungle and so much else. Don L Harper did music for DTV sequels to Lion King, Tarzan and Atlantis. Also National Treasure of all things.

Who needs Cirque to do high-concept park entertainment when you can just pull from people that have already dealt with stuff relating to themes in said park?

the.dreamfinder

There wasn't any: Most of the show's major creatives were tied to the Lion King franchise.

Mark Mancina worked on the Broadway Lion King as well as Brother Bear, Tarzan and Moana. Production designer Michael Curry designed puppets for Broadway Lion King, Tapestry of Nations, Jammin' Jungle and so much else. Don L Harper did music for DTV sequels to Lion King, Tarzan and Atlantis. Also National Treasure of all things.

Who needs Cirque to do high-concept park entertainment when you can just pull from people that have already dealt with stuff relating to themes in said park?
I was just asking because the early publicity materials Disney released mentioned a partnership with Cirque.
EDIT: It was from Steve
http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...ht-construction-at-disneys-animal-kingdom.htm
Expect live performers paired with water and lighting effects. Disney has recruited Cirque du Soleil and WET Design (the leading authority in water effects) to collaborate on the project.

Last edited:

cbeard

Hi everyone! I'm Connor and I've been looking at the wdwmagic forums for a while but have never actually posted! I just wanted to add to the conversation and say that Rivers of Light just cut off seven minutes into the show and the voice came over the loudspeakers saying that the performance was cancelled which was disappointing for many guests and me (I heard many audible "ahhhhhs" in the audience).

djkidkaz

Just an FYI, the 10pm show tonight stopped half way through and was then cancelled ( no restart ). Obviously the problems continue with this show.

TTA94

Just an FYI, the 10pm show tonight stopped half way through and was then cancelled ( no restart ). Obviously the problems continue with this show.

Any idea what caused the cancellation? I heard of the show restarting before but has there been a cancellation?

Jmachado

Really disappointed. I'm an annual pass holder that planned this trip around the show. Even got a fast pass and waited to make sure I got a seat up and center. Knew that something went wrong right away. Almost like the entire park shut down, and the "house lights" came on unexpectedly. Happened when the big center boat came out. It seemed as if that's what malfunctioned.

At least we got some complementary fast passes for it, including one for a future showing of RoL.

flyerjab

So I listened to @lentesta 's Disney Dish podcast today. On the show it was stated that the RoL show will run until the end of 2020, and that a new show with Disney characters (think live action Lion King) will debut in 2021 in time for the 50th. They reported that the show is doing poorly with preschool aged children, a key demographic for the company.

brb1006

So I listened to @lentesta 's Disney Dish podcast today. On the show it was stated that the RoL show will run until the end of 2020, and that a new show with Disney characters (think live action Lion King) will debut in 2021 in time for the 50th. They reported that the show is doing poorly with preschool aged children, a key demographic for the company.
Well this is depressing. Don't tell this to @prfctlyximprct

FigmentJedi

Remember when Walt said "You're dead if you aim only for kids"?

dreamscometrue

Yeah, I'll deal with that in just under 4 years, if it even actually happens.

Tony the Tigger

As usual, I'll be the one adult who appreciates characters in these things - at Disney World.

It may have been hard to make out on the water screen, but I'm pretty sure there was a blue tang fish (like Dory) that popped up for a moment, and that was the moment I elbowed DH because he likes Nemo & Dory, and that was the first Disney movie we watched together (at his insistence) over 10 years ago.

If it was the cartoon version, that wouldn't have taken anything away for me. I'm at Disney World, after all.

How many more people would have had that moment if their favorite animal characters popped up for a flash?

That does not dumb things down; that does not only appeal to children. That does not corrupt or mar the show in any way. It's Disney World.

FigmentJedi

As usual, I'll be the one adult who appreciates characters in these things - at Disney World.

It may have been hard to make out on the water screen, but I'm pretty sure there was a blue tang fish (like Dory) that popped up for a moment, and that was the moment I elbowed DH because he likes Nemo & Dory, and that was the first Disney movie we watched together (at his insistence) over 10 years ago.

If it was the cartoon version, that wouldn't have taken anything away for me. I'm at Disney World, after all.

How many more people would have had that moment if their favorite animal characters popped up for a flash?

That does not dumb things down; that does not only appeal to children. That does not corrupt or mar the show in any way. It's Disney World.
Not everything at Disney World needs to be movie related memberberries

lentesta

Premium Member

It's doing well enough for any big attraction. Still, 4th place out of 4 nighttime shows, the other 3 of which are decade+ old, is prob not what Disney hoped.

FWIW, Bob liked it more than me. I may be comparing it more to what was promised.

lentesta

Premium Member
Part of me wants to believe this is a sarcastic post, but i know it's not.

While i support change, i would hope for the general theme of the show and seriousness of the show to stay the same. ROL is a fantastic statement of what Animal Kingdom is. Any how, what do they think Preschool aged children would like? Do you know if the new show will focus mainly on characters? I would be totally fine with a live action character on screens for a second two mixed with Disney nature footage.

I agree with the show's choice of theme. And the choice not to use characters.

Both Bob and I commented on how we realized after RoL how much Disney uses fireworks to pep up the other shows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom