Disney to pay $3.8 million to park workers charged for their costumes

raven

My old roommate who transferred with DVC to California just informed me that he received a letter about this several days ago and has to fill out claim forms because he's effected. It's looking like several hundred dollars in lost wages owed to him.

Phil12

My old roommate who transferred with DVC to California just informed me that he received a letter about this several days ago and has to fill out claim forms because he's effected. It's looking like several hundred dollars in lost wages owed to him.
Although Disney stopped printing and distribution of Disney dollars in May of 2016, I understand they still have a vault full of the currency. They'll probably pay the past due wages back from this stash.

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but the payout on this averages to about $237 for each CM. Not insignificant, but nothing major either.

The Empress Lilly

Walt wouldn't have liked this ruling by the Labor Department.
Sure, Walt hated unions. Here is Walt Disney's Disney when he had his fall-out with the union:

Disney artists were the best paid and worked under the best conditions in the industry—but they were discontented.[3]In the early days of the studio, Walt Disney gave 20 percent of the profits from the short cartoons to his employees as bonuses. However, in 1936 Disney suspended this practice.[4] After the success of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in 1937, Disney started construction on a new spacious studio in Burbank, California. He began moving his staff there from his old studio on Hyperion Avenue in December 1939.[5] At the new Burbank studio a rigid hierarchy system was in place with departments in segregated buildings that were more heavily policed by Disney administrators. Employee benefits such as access to the gymnasium, steam room, and restaurant, as well as spacious and luxurious offices, were reserved for top writers and animators.[5]

Here is thug ran modern TWDC:
Break federal law by paying below federal minumum wage. Which is not a living wage to begin with.

Don't mistake mid-century America (egalitarian, world's highest standard of living, socially mobile, the envy of the world), with modern America (third world inequality, lowest social mobility in the developed world)

Siren

Those hideous black shoes the majority of cms wear, blah
OMG. I thought I was the only one who noticed those black orthopedic shoes. They don't look so bad with long dark pants.

But, when those shoes are paired with Capri pants and white ankle socks like the uniforms in Fantasyland, it's just not a good look. But, forgivable given the circumstances. I still feel like Disney can do better.

If Disney can team up with Adidas for snazzy Star Wars kicks and Vons for stylish men's shoes and Run Disney shoes -- they can do the same for the CM's shoes. It would really complete the look.

Oh yeah, I'm so glad Disney is paying the back wages. They are doing the right thing.

Phil12

Sure, Walt hated unions. Here is Walt Disney's Disney when he had his fall-out with the union:

Disney artists were the best paid and worked under the best conditions in the industry—but they were discontented.[3]In the early days of the studio, Walt Disney gave 20 percent of the profits from the short cartoons to his employees as bonuses. However, in 1936 Disney suspended this practice.[4] After the success of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in 1937, Disney started construction on a new spacious studio in Burbank, California. He began moving his staff there from his old studio on Hyperion Avenue in December 1939.[5] At the new Burbank studio a rigid hierarchy system was in place with departments in segregated buildings that were more heavily policed by Disney administrators. Employee benefits such as access to the gymnasium, steam room, and restaurant, as well as spacious and luxurious offices, were reserved for top writers and animators.[5]

Here is thug ran modern TWDC:
Break federal law by paying below federal minumum wage. Which is not a living wage to begin with.

Don't mistake mid-century America (egalitarian, world's highest standard of living, socially mobile, the envy of the world), with modern America (third world inequality, lowest social mobility in the developed world)
When you wish upon a star makes no difference who you are unless Walt Disney didn't like you.

ItlngrlBella

But why would they need price increases to pay for their missteps? They made more than a billion dollars off of Star Wars 7. Cant they put that to good use?
Also, according to screamscape, this is also why we had extra experiences for more money. They need to build more rides instead of temporary, amusement park attractions such as Star Wars Launch Bay, the Short Films at Epcot, sneak peeks over at One Man's Dream for new movies that I don't want/care to see, etc.
They should be ashamed and embarrassed

I got the feeling that Launch Bay is to "tide us over" until SWL is built and they needed a filler anyway since so much there is going offline due to construction.

Yet I digress, back to those hideous black tennis shoes and costume compensation...

ItlngrlBella

OMG. I thought I was the only one who noticed those black orthopedic shoes. They don't look so bad with long dark pants.

But, when those shoes are paired with Capri pants and white ankle socks like the uniforms in Fantasyland, it's just not a good look. But, forgivable given the circumstances. I still feel like Disney can do better.

If Disney can team up with Adidas for snazzy Star Wars kicks and Vons for stylish men's shoes and Run Disney shoes -- they can do the same for the CM's shoes. It would really complete the look.

Oh yeah, I'm so glad Disney is paying the back wages. They are doing the right thing.

Chuck Taylors on everyone! :)
I could see Sketchers GoWalks as more practical.

Siren

Chuck Taylors on everyone! :)
I could see Sketchers GoWalks as more practical.
Wow @ItlngrlBella! Why didn't I think of that? I like your sense of style. Seriously, you can pair Chuck Taylor's with basically anything and it looks good. And, you're right, that the Sketchers are more practical, especially in regards to rain and comfort. Why not both?

Speaking of Sketchers, every kid that I've seen turned away at rides were wearing those thick soled Sketchers. As soon as CM's see them, they make the kids take them off before they're measured. LOL.

raven

Yet I digress, back to those hideous black tennis shoes and costume compensation...
Disney added a few styles of New Balance about 5 years ago to those black shoe selections. There are currently about 10 different styles to choose from for CMs. They are given the option to swap them for a new pair once per year. If they don't want to use them they can provide their own, as long as they are within the costume guidelines. So often what you see them wearing is their own personal choice of footwear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom