Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

Curious Constance

I wonder if there might be some kinetic features. Do the pipes move? Will there be smoke coming out of them?
It's official Hans, Emily just agreed that it reminds her of Small World too! And she never agrees with me! lol
Someday we're going to read that one of the imagineers was inspired by Mary Blair and you're going to deserve a huge prize.

yookeroo

It only made sense from a monetary perspective.

Only. This is kind of important to a business.

But that's not really true. The movies have largely been critically successful. That's artistic success.

That close up picture I posted does sort of remind me of Mary Blairesque style art, Hans.

Me too!

Its arguments like this that really prove your point the best. There is literally nothing I can say in response to this.

I bet there is. I know I've come up with some things.

I have a new favorite poster. It's the Bellella of wdwmagic.

Curious Constance

The movies have largely been critically successful. That's artistic success.

Not to mention, since Disney has taken the Marvel movies over, they have seemed to jump not only in quality, but also in popularity.

I have a new favorite poster. It's the Bellella of wdwmagic.

Oh lord, I forgot about Bellella. LOL The mere mention of the name gives me heartburn.

Curious Constance

IMG_4481.jpg

October82

I'm glad the California theme wasn't dropped. What's unfortunate to me is the implementation of so many intellectual properties. I've said this before, California offers plenty of material to work with to create great attractions, restaurants, and lands, without having to base anything really on an IP (with the exception of a Hollywood-themed land). But instead we get a land based on a movie that takes place in Arizona and one apparently coming that will be based on superheroes. An opportunity definitely missed.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that an opportunity was missed with the choice to build Carsland. DCA as a whole doesn't live up to the potential of the California theme, but a "Car" themed land is certainly a big part of modern California and the Cars franchise is a faithful interpretation of that culture. One of DCA's conceptual flaws was an over-reliance on geography - reproducing landmarks and the like - instead of on the "myth of California". It's certainly awkward that Cars is more of a "southwest" land, but it doesn't feel out of place with the direction that DCA ended up taking.

None of this can be said of Marvel-land, at least based on what they decided to do in terms of GotG's execution. Much like Frozen in Epcot, this is a decision to break entirely with any pretense of thematic cohesion.

Californian Elitist

I wouldn't go so far as to say that an opportunity was missed with the choice to build Carsland. DCA as a whole doesn't live up to the potential of the California theme, but a "Car" themed land is certainly a big part of modern California and the Cars franchise is a faithful interpretation of that culture. One of DCA's conceptual flaws was an over-reliance on geography - reproducing landmarks and the like - instead of on the "myth of California". It's certainly awkward that Cars is more of a "southwest" land, but it doesn't feel out of place with the direction that DCA ended up taking.

That's the thing, before Cars Land, Disney had plans to build a car-themed land without the inclusion of an IP. And it would have worked.

October82

That's the thing, before Cars Land, Disney had plans to build a car-themed land without the inclusion of an IP. And it would have worked.

I'm someone who prefers original attractions and lands, but from what I've seen of the plans for "Car land", Carsland is pretty close to the original concept art. Despite some changes to the rockwork to make it closer to how Radiator Springs is depicted, even the rockwork in the Carland artwork is similar to what was built. It might have been more distinctly California, but the "vaguely" southwest feel to it was likely to be there regardless of whether an IP was connected to it.

Curious Constance

Does anyone else get the Southwestern Native American vibe with the colors and shapes represented here?

A bit, yeah! I also can see a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory vibe, like Hans mentioned. It's a definite very interesting combo of lots of varied influences. I'm so excited to see the inside and catch a glimpse of the Collector's collection.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
A bit, yeah! I also can see a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory vibe, like Hans mentioned. It's a definite very interesting combo of lots of varied influences. I'm so excited to see the inside and catch a glimpse of the Collector's collection.

Well there is your tie to California, the Southwestern Native American colors and shapes being represented.

Snow Queen

Those pictures make me dislike the retheme even more. Honestly, I'm not against a Marvel area in DCA. It has nothing to do with the theme and that's a bit annoying, but so long as it's a well done land (ex. Cars Land) I'd just enjoy it and shrug about that. But man...this is just an eyesore. An eyesore in a stretch of the park that's already one. Hollywoodland is in desperate need of an overhaul (especially the Backlot and the Hyperion), but this just makes the area work even less. And if that doesn't enough, I think the worst part, visually speaking, is that it appears behind the Carthay Circle Theater. Just makes it look worse. Like I said, I'd be fine with Marvel, just...not like this. Oh well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom