Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

Kiwiduck

upload_2017-3-18_15-40-26-png.194488

2015-06-26_0041.jpg
I'm glad they fixed the lean ;)
Thank you for posting both images together. I know many don't agree but I think the new version works better with the Carthay building than the old one (probably not helped by the 60th banner).

Californian Elitist

Not super serious, but I think there's a point to be made. You asked us to ponder how Marvel fits into DCA. It seems obvious you weren't actually looking for an answer- but I figured, why not? I got three for three on the DCA scorecard. To which I then add: Does Buena Vista Street have (A) adventure? As it was announced many debated over how (C) Californian Carsland really was. Is Grizzly Peak all that (D) Disney?

Your recent posts make a lot of mike-drop style definitive statements. With little subtlety or humor you take an awfully harsh stance on not only the land, but those whose opinion differs from yours- opinions you state as obvious facts.

I get that there's issues with this project, as there are with most. I'm personally not at the pitchforks and torches level on this one. Have fun, state your opinion freely, but don't be too surprised when you get alternate responses.

Oh, I was looking for answers, but the ones you provided came off as obvious jokes, hence the reason I asked for clarification.

The "Disney" part of DCA has nothing to do with the overall concept of the park, and I'm sure you realize that. Same goes for "Adventure."

I accept the opinions of those who are in favor of this project, and if you've actually read my posts, you'd know that. What I don't have time for, and what I'm not going to engage in is absurdity and jokes when I'm asking a serious question. I would love to hear your opinions and explanations, ones that actually make sense and don't go into details relating to "Disney" and "Adventure" in Disney California Adventure, in regards to how you feel Marvel Land fits with the park. It would make for a good debate, but I'm not looking for jokes.

The space is open. How does a land themed to Marvel make sense in a park that is supposed to essentially celebrate California culture, landmarks, history, etc, all jokes aside? Let the debate begin.

Last edited:

BrianLo

I think the Defenders of Mediocrity have found the new symbol they had been looking for since the Sorcerer's Hat was demolished.

We're all defenders of mediocrity in the end. Some preferred the previous version of mediocrity, some this one.

I assume the people who hate both version just can't be bothered.

It would have happened if not for the idiotic purchase of Marvel.

The front runner was Monstropolis. There were never solid plans to redo Hyperion though.

I'm tactfully (barely) going to ignore your strong feelings on the Marvel purchase.

dweezil78

It would have happened if not for the idiotic purchase of Marvel.

I can totally get if you don't like comics or super heroes or whatever -- you're entitled to have that opinion as to what you find entertaining and enjoyable in life.

Calling the purchase 'idiotic,' however, is a bit irrational/childish and kinda makes it hard to take having a conversation with you seriously.

BrianLo

The space is open. How does a land themed to Marvel make sense in a park that is supposed to essentially celebrate California culture, landmarks, history, etc, all jokes aside? Let the debate begin.

That's totally up in the air on execution (this GoTG project notwithstanding, I'm talking about the stuff coming in 2020). I'll point to the Iron Man Experience. It is actually relatively celebratory of those things you mention, but towards Hong Kong.

That's not a guarantee that's remotely the route they are going in, but just an example that if Marvel can fit (quite well) into Hong Kong as an American property, if there actually was a will to do so (which there might not be), it could fit California.

HMF

I can totally get if you don't like comics or super heroes or whatever -- you're entitled to have that opinion as to what you find entertaining and enjoyable in life.

Calling the purchase 'idiotic,' however, is a bit irrational/childish and kinda makes it hard to take having a conversation with you seriously.
It only made sense from a monetary perspective. Creatively, though it's stupid. It doesn't fit the Disney Brand, It had contracts with other Studios and Theme Parks and created enough legal loopholes to make ones head spin. I realize that we are living in an America that values monetary gain over Creative integrity but I used to hold the Walt Disney Company to a higher standard than that. I don't anymore.

dweezil78

How does a land themed to Marvel make sense in a park that is supposed to essentially celebrate California culture, landmarks, history, etc, all jokes aside? Let the debate begin.

Well therein lies the humor in all this... So many of the same people who complained about DCA having such a dumb theme (celebrating California landmarks within driving distance of the real thing) are now the ones complaining about having that theme violated. Personally, I think the biggest mistake Disney made with DCA 2.0 was to not drop the California. It was the one opportunity they had break free from it and they missed it.

HMF

Well therein lies the humor in all this... So many of the same people who complained about DCA having such a dumb theme (celebrating California landmarks within driving distance of the real thing) are now the ones complaining about having that theme violated. Personally, I think the biggest mistake Disney made with DCA 2.0 was to not drop the California. It was the one opportunity they had break free from it and they missed it.
The theme move was from California today to the California of the past not just an IP dumping ground.

HMF

I know this is a discussion for a whole other thread.. .but you seriously don't see why a company with a foundation in hand drawn animated characters would also want to own a company with a foundation in hand drawn comic book characters?
Thet two have had and have nothing to do with each other. If Disney really wanted to get into the comic business, They should have started their own label not buy a pre-existing one that had ties with the competition.

Californian Elitist

That's totally up in the air on execution (this GoTG project notwithstanding, I'm talking about the stuff coming in 2020). I'll point to the Iron Man Experience. It is actually relatively celebratory of those things you mention, but towards Hong Kong.

That's not a guarantee that's remotely the route they are going in, but just an example that if Marvel can fit (quite well) into Hong Kong as an American property, if there actually was a will to do so (which there might not be), it could fit California.

Depending on the concept of an Iron Man attraction, it could possibly work...something that shouldn't feel forced or far-fetched.

I personally don't know of any people who hated the California theme and are now complaint about any theme violation.

I had, and still do, a problem with the park's execution. That was always my main concern. If one is going to create a theme park based on an American state, California is an obvious choice, even if the park will actually be in California. The cheap route was my issue and he source of my annoyance with DCA 1.0.

I'm glad the California theme wasn't dropped. What's unfortunate to me is the implementation of so many intellectual properties. I've said this before, California offers plenty of material to work with to create great attractions, restaurants, and lands, without having to base anything really on an IP (with the exception of a Hollywood-themed land). But instead we get a land based on a movie that takes place in Arizona and one apparently coming that will be based on superheroes. An opportunity definitely missed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom