Typhoon Lagoon New Raft Ride - Miss Adventure Falls

CJR

I get your point, but I imagine one reason could be so guests at the resort hotels can use the water park in the evening, so leave the theme park at 5pm then spend 6pn to 10pm at the waterpark.

I actually find this funny, because it's more so the exact opposite at Disney. At WDW, the water parks close so people can go spend time enjoying the night at DHS, Epcot, MK, and now DAK. The idea is you can go eat dinner and see fireworks (and a parade, when it's there). Even if they were to keep TL open after dark regularly, it wouldn't have the pull VB will at night unless some big changes were made. It would still be fun, but I think if it were nightly, it wouldn't have the special atmosphere the limited DVC parties do.

Universal, on the other hand, doesn't have the quality night time spectacular like Fantasmic, Illuminations, or Wishes, and the actual volcano might be a better show than the Cinematic Spectacular (which I can't really stand, personally). It's very interesting how different the resorts operate when they're so frequently compared to each other.

Disney Analyst

I feel like people are calling it a show, but I got the impression that it was just like.. volcanic eruptions throughout the night, much like at TDS.

KrzyKtty

I was really confused at first reading backwards through the comments. I was wondering what volcano eruption they could be talking about at Typhoon lagoon at night, then figured out somehow the thread switched to Universal. :D

Disneyhead'71

I feel like people are calling it a show, but I got the impression that it was just like.. volcanic eruptions throughout the night, much like at TDS.
I suspect they may have a smaller show on the beach at sunset when the volcano erupts the first time and the water turns to lava. Similar to the torch lighting ceremony at Royal Pacific.

CJR

I expect it to be along the lines of what occurs at Rain Forest Cafe in Disney Springs, but a bit more grand and theatrical, maybe even having some impact on the actual water park below (with cool lighting effects).

It's not a show like what you'd see at Disney (Illuminations, Wishes, Fantasmic, Rivers of Light), but I'd consider it more entertaining than staying at Universal Studios to watch movie clips and very limited fireworks (likely due to the proximity to residential areas). Every time I've seen Cinematic Spectacular I'm thinking, "why am I not at Epcot right now?" So, although it's not a "big spectacular" along the lines of Disney's firework show, the experience, from a water park, is what will make this fun. Disney Springs is neat, but you're in a shopping complex. This will be seen from a lazy river or wave pool... or in a pileup along I-4 (intended as joke, but I could actually see it happening).

To tie this back to TL, nothing in the water park on this level currently exists. It's cool at night, but there's no theatrics really. VB will be a very different experience.

UpAllNight

If there's any wow moments at all, it'll automatically become the best nighttime show at Universal until something new comes along.

I don't get why they haven't done a nighttime show on the lake at Islands...or found a way of bringing the HP night show.

Even when USF is open until 9, IOA shuts at 8. I've never actually seen it in the dark, and I imagine it's spectacular.

Absimilliard

I don't get why they haven't done a nighttime show on the lake at Islands...or found a way of bringing the HP night show.

Even when USF is open until 9, IOA shuts at 8. I've never actually seen it in the dark, and I imagine it's spectacular.

They did, back in 2003 at least. It was a disaster as there were not enough viewing space and the show was terrible with bad pyro. Like, whose idea was it to use indoor flame charge on a lake? For the 50 people who got scalded by the extreme heat that could see it?

Last edited:

NearTheEars

The Disney faithful are tryin' real hard.

It is rather amusing.

It reminds me of international travelers that are used to 4 star hotels in America all having white comforters as the standard and then they arrive at the 7 star Burj Al Arab and have a fit about the gaudy and tacky hand woven Chinese silk comforter.

Yes, once again, Universal isn't following Disney's "rules" and the Disney fans truly don't get it.

It's more because of the marketing, and calling it a theme park (a topic that's already been beaten to death) that people had been expecting a fully themed environment. And now they are disappointed. But the thing isn't even done yet. So it's way to early to get upset IMO.

Theming aside, logic says this should be the best water park in Orlando. It's brand new, with brand new tech and a team of designers that have been pumping out great stuff this decade. Even though I'll likely only visit it once, I'm rooting for a big win here. I don't know why anyone would be excited to see it fail.

JoeCamel

Meaning that Volcano Bay, with all its high tech wizardry, didn't have a Shark Reef style attraction. Which was the most unique activity in any water park.

And Disney had this (for the win), and closed it.
And it is closed leaving a 25 year old park with a princess ride as the new offering.

Not sure where you are trying to go with this but they don't have a good record with closed attractions.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I actually find this funny, because it's more so the exact opposite at Disney. At WDW, the water parks close so people can go spend time enjoying the night at DHS, Epcot, MK, and now DAK. The idea is you can go eat dinner and see fireworks (and a parade, when it's there). Even if they were to keep TL open after dark regularly, it wouldn't have the pull VB will at night unless some big changes were made. It would still be fun, but I think if it were nightly, it wouldn't have the special atmosphere the limited DVC parties do.

Universal, on the other hand, doesn't have the quality night time spectacular like Fantasmic, Illuminations, or Wishes, and the actual volcano might be a better show than the Cinematic Spectacular (which I can't really stand, personally). It's very interesting how different the resorts operate when they're so frequently compared to each other.

And VB is a lot closer to big hotels.... enough it's not necessarily a big trip from your room. Unlike Disney...

The resort pools have plenty of evening activity after the park day. The key is keeping it low impact to use it...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Meaning that Volcano Bay, with all its high tech wizardry, didn't have a Shark Reef style attraction. Which was the most unique activity in any water park.

It was game changing for its era... but discovery cove's snorkeling made shark reef feel like a drunken red neck backyard setup.

The Empress Lilly

Thread win for me.

If UNI were to open a brand new Koaster Kingdom, 15 mega coasters, then the correct answer isn't for Disney to compete the MK with the new park by ripping out Small World and Peter Pan for a small bare steel coaster. You weaken your position by offering a weaker version of the new kid in town, while destroying what you did better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom