MiceAge Rumor: Disney Jr. Closing In April '17 - Marvel Plans???

TP2000

Original Poster
I thought it was kinda risky to post those employee letters and then invite reporters to contact them for more info. All Disney has to do is get fed up and cut them off.

Disney is already fed up and will be replacing the human puppeteers with video screens in April. Problem solved, but puppeteers out of jobs.

At least the puppeteers' union bosses got a couple years worth of dues money, which is all union bosses really care about. (Full Disclosure: I was a dues paying Teamster as a young man, and all the union cared about was getting their dues money each week. That doesn't seem to have changed in this century.)

Last edited:

Curious Constance

Disney is already fed up and will be replacing the human puppeteers with video screens in April. Problem solved, but puppeteers out of jobs.

At least the puppeteers' union bosses got a couple years worth of dues money, which is all union bosses really care about. (Full Disclosure: I was a dues paying Teamster as a young man, and all the union cared about was getting their dues money each week. That doesn't seem to have changed in this century.)

They can get fed up with Micechat too. No more media events for them. I'm sure they could attempt to cut off their info supply too.

Stevek

They can get fed up with Micechat too. No more media events for them. I'm sure they could attempt to cut off their info supply too.
They should have gotten fed up years ago but like it or not, they still benefit from the publicity they get from arguably the largest Disneyland fan site. If they haven't cut them off yet, they are unlikely to do it now.

GiveMeTheMusic

While I'm no union cheerleader, they can be helpful when employers are prone to take advantage. Disney is such an employer.

Regardless of how one feels about unions, it is legal for employees to unionize and illegal for employers to retaliate. This is clear retaliation. You wanted to be treated like human beings instead of garbage and get paid a decent wage for skilled and difficult work? We'll just eliminate your jobs. Solves that problem and Colglazier cashes a bonus check that could have easily covered the wage raise for the now out of work puppeteers.

AGVA already represents singers and non-character actors and mainstage dancers at DLR. Disney acted in such poor faith during the process to add 30 puppeteers to this roster that the NLB had to force them to settle for backpay with interest.

It's a nice thought to think that as a fan Disney's horrific HR practices shouldn't affect you, but the reality is that the cast members who make your visits "magical" are often subjected to work conditions guests would never tolerate themselves.

Not all companies need regulations or an outside force like unions to get them to treat their employees decently. Disney is, in reality, a giant, ruthless, soulless mega-company. Unchecked, they will risk their own cast to save a couple bucks.

TP2000

Original Poster
Interesting insight @GiveMeTheMusic on Disney's messy HR team.

I'm still waiting for the fallout of Disney's abuse of H1B visas in their IT department in Florida, and the American workers that lost their jobs because of it. By sheer luck Iger hasn't yet faced the Twitter wrath of President Trump on that immigration/labor issue, but I won't be at all surprised to see Melania and Barron invited to a spring break visit to WDW or Disneyland as a way for Disney to hopefully curry favor. Barron seems about the right age for Racers and Hyperspace Mountain.

SSG

Personally, I skim MiceChat for their photo updates. I have learned to take their "rumors" with a grain of salt. Also, their comment sections are hilarious.
There are threads there now on riveting topics such as whether you talk to strangers while waiting in line, wondering if Zoe Saldana is a Disney fan, and listing your Disneyland pet peeves.

I honestly feel dumber for having read it.

SSG

I usually leave there going:

Dumber.jpg

TsWade2

I hope the rumor is true, because I had it with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Jake and the Neverland Pirates. Since I saw the trailer of the new Ducktales trailer, I hope they bring back the other Disney Afternoon shows as reboots and have the Disney Afternoon block again. And maybe have a new stage show based on Disney Afternoon show at DCA like Disney used to do. Note: This is just my optimistic wishful thinking. So don't take this the wrong way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom