Pirates ride, where's the mermaids?

AndyS2992

I haven't seen the water Mermaid effects active for quite some time. If I had to venture a guess, too many idiots put their hands into the water and they just axed the effect before someone axed a finger. Shame too, that was one of the few changes made to Pirates from the films that I really thought added to the ride.
Oh but they did :p Two in fact. A 12 year old boy and a 40 year old man.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...aribbean-log-flume-putting-hand-not-been.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nths-British-tourist-two-fingers-severed.html

TheGhostWithTheMost

Corylancaster

They added the glass coffin/mermaid aquarium to the beach scene sometime in 2016 which made me think that perhaps those AA's were on their way. That and the new skull shaped rock made me think they still had bigger plans for the scene. Its a shame, since the mermaids would have effectively turned my fear of AA's in water into high-octane nightmare fuel.
Do you have pictures of the glass coffin? I haven't been back since this was added in...

Seabasealpha1

I personally thought the mermaids were just off the shelf copies of the wave maker that they use outside the living seas...about the same effect...

The skeletons and siren song are okay...but the actual mechanical effect was...lackluster...

Captain Barbossa

Never mind the fact that in the movies only Jack himself refers to himself as "Captain" Jack Sparrow or the logic bomb of just "Why are the legal Spanish authorities hiding Captain Jack Sparrow, a notorious pirate who wants to steal THEIR treasure from other pirates who also want to steal their treasure
As for Jones, There is no context for him to be there. In the Disneyland version he serves as a time vortex to transport you back to the golden age of piracy in the Caribbean from the "present" New Orleans Square. In the Florida version there is no time travel and all the events are supposed to be happening at the time you experience them. Having the Davy Jones mist there makes no logical sense and just confuses things.
Well it's enjoyable for other people including myself. Who knows. Captain Jack can get into some unexplainable situations!!

FigmentJedi

To quote "The Road to El Dorado" : BOTH. Both is good. Losing the skull and the barker bird both hurt the attraction, IMHO.
The Skull just didn't really have any impact in the WDW version though beyond giving you a very brief heads up about the drop in a really goofy voice and his function as a call to adventure pretty much all went to the barker bird anyways.

I'm surprised they didn't put Jones in front of the drop when they did the WDW installation. That would be a fine way to punctuate things.

HMF

To quote "The Road to El Dorado" : BOTH. Both is good. Losing the skull and the barker bird both hurt the attraction, IMHO.
I can't really say I agree If the logic is that the fort is the same one that is being attacked inside the ride why would there be a Barker Bird there. Same with the talking skull being in the caves which is not haunted in the same way as the DL one, Same issue with Jones and Blackbeard.

HMF

The air wasn't stable enough.
So that was the original plan? If thats the case it makes the fact that they removed the skull even dumber. I am actually in favor of it's removal because of story reasons but that just seems cheap.

Sketch105

I've been looking for that. People were starting to call me crazy for having seen this photo and not have proof it existed!

Has anyone interpreted what the cardboard figure in the photo is doing? Is it throwing spears like in Pirates 4?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Do you have pictures of the glass coffin? I haven't been back since this was added in...

Here's the glass 'coffin'...

upload_2017-3-18_12-56-44.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom