Team Mist: SYWTBAI Season 14, Project Seven Open Brainstorming

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Project Seven: Lord of the Rings'd
LOTR-19781.jpg

Based on the Season Five "Middle Earth River Adventure" semi-finals project

Out of all the prompts this season, this one might be the one I'm the most excited about. A truly legendary moment in the game and one that coined a catchphrase happened in the semifinals of season five. It was this event alone that has made me defend the merits of the fairly maligned season. MEW was a powerhouse through most of season five and was on track to take home the most obvious victory the game had seen up to that point in a season that was rocky from the start and got worse thanks to the radical idea of adding Universal projects into the mix (oh how far we've come ;) )

Enter "Lord of the Rings". While eventual winner Romanarms and runner-up CoastaFreak delivered solid projects that stuck fairly close to Peter Jackson's epic film trilogy, MEW went a more unconventional route and did a boat ride based on the Rankin/Bass animated Hobbit film. This caused his elimination mostly because the prompt specifically called for something based around the Peter Jackson movies. And thus the frontrunner of the season was cut down in his tracks. Not the first time this had happened...I'm sure @Basketbuddy101 can speak to getting eliminated in 4th Place over CostaFreak in season one...but this was certainly the most dramatic fall from grace.

In this project the teams must recreate both elements of the original project. Team Younger will be creating an E-Ticket Lord of the Rings ride for any Universal park that can take inspiration from anything in Peter Jackson's LOTR and Hobbit trilogies. Team Mist on the other hand will take a cue from ManEatingWreath thanks to the twisty powers of the Vault and Pi opening it..and go in a different direction.Team Mist must design an E Ticket attraction for any DISNEY park that must take its cues specifically from Rankin/Bass's "The Hobbit" and "The Return of the King" as well as Ralph Bashki's classic 70's animated opus "The Lord of the Rings" (which confusingly featured two thirds of book trilogy's plot...filled in by the VERY tonally different Rankin/Bass Return of the King. This is a much more challenging prompt, but with the minor security blanket of being able to work it into a Disney park thanks to a hypothetical legal loophole.

I absolutely cannot wait to see the results of this one. After such a dramatic double elimination, the rest of the season is bound to be amazing! Good luck teams. This project is due Saturday, March 25th at 11:59 PM Eastern/8:59 PM Pacific.

MANEATINGWREATH

Really briefly, I do not know much abour Lord of the Rings, but this could be great in IoA where Poseidon is now.

Your team was given a prompt - due to Walt's Vault - to design a LOTR boat ride based on the lesser-known animated LOTR films for any Disney Park. Given how obscure the films are, a simple search on YouTube will help. :)

mickeyfan5534

Your team was given a prompt - due to Walt's Vault - to design a LOTR boat ride based on the lesser-known animated LOTR films for any Disney Park. Given how obscure the films are, a simple search on YouTube will help. :)
So is our project on the Bakshi version that was a massive influence on Peter Jackson's films? That's the only animated version I know of.

EDIT: This just in! I don't know how to read. Ok so just to set this straight in my head, we need to create a boat ride based around the elements of the Middle Earth depicted by Ralph Bakshi and Rankin Bass?

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
So is our project on the Bakshi version that was a massive influence on Peter Jackson's films? That's the only animated version I know of.

EDIT: This just in! I don't know how to read. Ok so just to set this straight in my head, we need to create a boat ride based around the elements of the Middle Earth depicted by Ralph Bakshi and Rankin Bass?

Primarily yes, but you can also use stuff from these two movies to fill in the blanks in the story left by the Bashki version.

mickeyfan5534

Ok, first things first, unless we want to make an hour long ride we really shouldn't do a direct adaptation. Let's just explore Middle Earth and have some fun with bringing the Bakshi version's environments and characters to life rather than trying to make an epic story fit in the span 7 to 10 minutes

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Ok, first things first, unless we want to make an hour long ride we really shouldn't do a direct adaptation. Let's just explore Middle Earth and have some fun with bringing the Bakshi version's environments and characters to life rather than trying to make an epic story fit in the span 7 to 10 minutes
Maybe instead of one really good, satisfying ride, we can this over three needlessly long, mostly dissapointing rides!

*cough* Like the Peter Jackson Hobbit movies *cough*

Jk

I agree we should center this around one scene or concept.

Boat ride would be cool, but that might be the obvious choice.

Maybe an inverted coaster that looks like the eagles carrying us around a large show building version of Middle Earth? I need to watch the cartoons, but I'm assuming the eagles are in the me.

mickeyfan5534

Maybe instead of one really good, satisfying ride, we can this over three needlessly long, mostly dissapointing rides!

*cough* Like the Peter Jackson Hobbit movies *cough*

Jk

I agree we should center this around one scene or concept.

Boat ride would be cool, but that might be the obvious choice.

Maybe an inverted coaster that looks like the eagles carrying us around a large show building version of Middle Earth? I need to watch the cartoons, but I'm assuming the eagles are in the me.
We have to do a boat ride. Again, exploring Middle Earth seems like the easiest way to go here.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
We have to do a boat ride. Again, exploring Middle Earth seems like the easiest way to go here.
Ok then, I'm not against a boat ride (I dont see where it says it has to be one just that the project thag inspired it was one, but a boat ride works for this). And exploring Middle Earth is great. It could be a lot like Pirates but fantasy based.

mickeyfan5534

Personally a Soarin style ride with that new technology could be really coolio
I want to make this a real E, my distaste for Soarin' aside. Why not do a a hydrocoaster? It fits the idea of Middle Earth as a pastoral land (water segments) and you can use orcs or the Balrog or the Nazgul or Trolls or all of the above for the coaster segment.

kmbmw777

I want to make this a real E, my distaste for Soarin' aside. Why not do a a hydrocoaster? It fits the idea of Middle Earth as a pastoral land (water segments) and you can use orcs or the Balrog or the Nazgul or Trolls or all of the above for the coaster segment.
I mean I am fine with this, Soarin' style ride still has my vote. We just have to make sure it fits the animated series.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom