Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This is vaguely off topic, but I just found this out and thought it was interesting.

Be honest, who actually knew Epcot was laid out like this on purpose?

C6-ChEPXEAAkS33.jpg

Sadly, I did.

Why is that sad? I think its pretty awesome and brilliant.

I did. Look at the walkways.

View attachment 194009

WOW!!! :jawdrop: Once again...proof that Epcot was ahead of its time and even sadder that the powers at be think IP is the way forward.

Just had the theory of the brain layout debunked. By someone who should know. It was purely tech vs organic until 1989.

gljvd

I just don't see how all this can be pushed through in the next 5-7 years. So for DHS alone we were looking at a 3 billion expansion(I think those were the figures they were throwing around-right now we know of SWL and TSL). Animal Kingdom looks done now with Avatar and RoL. For the MK add on a possible Tomorrowland attraction and some other things for the 50th and now 2 billion for EPCOT(if we are using DCA numbers) and 2 new cruise ships. That could be what, 8+ billion within that timeframe. And this is just for WDW. I can't see this much getting approved but I can hope.

So your talking about a few star wars movies ?

Seriously Disney made 3B at the box office last year and could hit 2.5B again this year. Those movies also drive sales of cheap plastic toys and of course cheap plastic bluray discs and digital downloads. Disney is making money hand over fist and the parks are also doing really well at this point in time.

Also like the majority of projects they most likely already had the funding on the side ahead of time. I would imagine that DHS expansion was already paid for before ground was broken.

The way to look at it is this way , this decade all the parks received major upgrades or will be upgraded. Fantasy land expansion , Avatar , toy story /star wars and whatever epcot gets. From here on our if Disney is smart they just need to rehab older rides and perhaps add 1 to 2 rides a decade to the parks. We got to the problem of Hollywood and Epcot because they didn't add new stuff for a long time. Hollywood has basicly decayed since what ... RR or Tower ? What was the last big ride they got ? Even star tours was just a refurb of a ride. They can't let that happen again. They need to stay up on the parks making smaller investments more often instead of doing these large massive make overs. They will simply be less disruptive . Until toy story and star wars opens no one I know is planning to head to Hollywood studios and for the few who might go , its to hit it early in the morning do the 3 rides worth doing and heading to another park. They need to avoid something like that in the future.

HMF

They need to avoid something like that in the future.
Indeed, they essentially spent the last decade doing nothing and what little was done tended to be either OK or outright crap. That being said, I hope what changes are made are actual improvements rather than change for the sake of change which I fear might happen to Epcot.

rushtest4echo

I'm not sure most people know/care, but Vekoma's prototype is a sideways loading flying coaster that rotates into the flying position after being dispatched (it may even be on a continuously moving load platform). B&M originally patented this idea but hasn't done anything with it. Disney's received a few patents for a similar system.

I know it's been discussed here a few times (probably within the 267 pages in this topic, hah). Just thought I'd resurface the discussion since most signs are pointing to this ride system being used for this ride. The sensation of dispatching in a semi-normal sitting position on a ride and then suddenly rotating into a flying position would be epic. Pretty sure that's what Disney's gunning for here.

jaxonp

I'm not sure most people know/care, but Vekoma's prototype is a sideways loading flying coaster that rotates into the flying position after being dispatched (it may even be on a continuously moving load platform). B&M originally patented this idea but hasn't done anything with it. Disney's received a few patents for a similar system.

I know it's been discussed here a few times (probably within the 267 pages in this topic, hah). Just thought I'd resurface the discussion since most signs are pointing to this ride system being used for this ride. The sensation of dispatching in a semi-normal sitting position on a ride and then suddenly rotating into a flying position would be epic. Pretty sure that's what Disney's gunning for here.

This ride system seems terrifying to manage with the massive amount of body types wdw gets.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

I'll add so far it's only been fan discussion and conjecture suggesting this is the ride system.

Everything I've seen so far says it's a traditional system.

jaxonp

I'll add so far it's only been fan discussion and conjecture suggesting this is the ride system.

I honestly can't imagine disney pushing the boundaries of a roller coaster ride system. It's been years since they've done so... as in like the Matterhorn.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I honestly can't imagine disney pushing the boundaries of a roller coaster ride system. It's been years since they've done so... as in like the Matterhorn.
If you literally mean "first" as the only thing that qualifies as pushing the boundaries, perhaps it's been that long. But Space Mountain was one of the first indoor coasters (and the first of its size). California Screamin was an early (but not first) LIM Launch. RnRC was the first real coaster with an LSM launch (a couple coasters that just launched straight up towers used it before). Everest was one of the first to have a switch for a reverse section. And 7DMT is certainly one of the few with cars that rock.

jaxonp

If you literally mean "first" as the only thing that qualifies as pushing the boundaries, perhaps it's been that long. But Space Mountain was one of the first indoor coasters (and the first of its size). California Screamin was an early (but not first) LIM Launch. RnRC was the first real coaster with an LSM launch (a couple coasters that just launched straight up towers used it before). Everest was one of the first to have a switch for a reverse section. And 7DMT is certainly one of the few with cars that rock.

Space Moutain is an updated version of the Matterhorn. LIMs had been out for years and Intamin had been building coaster far superior to what they built for Disney at DCA. RcRc was a copy of vekoma rides already installed elsewhere... 7dmt rocking is not a game changer. Sorry but Disney does not rule the coaster game. They can theme the hell out of them but they aren't pushing the boundaries of coaster world and they never will,

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

You mean the one I referenced yesterday?: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...gy-pavilion-gotg.915061/page-267#post-7619657 :D

Oh. I thought you've been hinting that GotG is delayed a bit because they're trying something cutting edge? Or did I misremember that?

njDizFan

So your talking about a few star wars movies ?

Seriously Disney made 3B at the box office last year and could hit 2.5B again this year. Those movies also drive sales of cheap plastic toys and of course cheap plastic bluray discs and digital downloads. Disney is making money hand over fist and the parks are also doing really well at this point in time.

Also like the majority of projects they most likely already had the funding on the side ahead of time. I would imagine that DHS expansion was already paid for before ground was broken.

The way to look at it is this way , this decade all the parks received major upgrades or will be upgraded. Fantasy land expansion , Avatar , toy story /star wars and whatever epcot gets. From here on our if Disney is smart they just need to rehab older rides and perhaps add 1 to 2 rides a decade to the parks. We got to the problem of Hollywood and Epcot because they didn't add new stuff for a long time. Hollywood has basicly decayed since what ... RR or Tower ? What was the last big ride they got ? Even star tours was just a refurb of a ride. They can't let that happen again. They need to stay up on the parks making smaller investments more often instead of doing these large massive make overs. They will simply be less disruptive . Until toy story and star wars opens no one I know is planning to head to Hollywood studios and for the few who might go , its to hit it early in the morning do the 3 rides worth doing and heading to another park. They need to avoid something like that in the future.
If you were under the assumption that I believe TWDC does not have the money to do these expansions that would be incorrect. Thanks to @ParentsOf4 graphs and SEC filings we know that is not the case. From what I gather the proposed spending would be a leap forward but not nearly touching the percentage of revenue used at the openings of additional gates. And it is actually closely resembles spending done consistently in years prior to the Iger regime. I just don't see them doing it to the grand level we are hoping for.

lazyboy97o

As I've said previously, the Vekoma prototype is being developed as a new product. It is not being pushed by Disney. Anyone can buy one if they want one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom