The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
This thing is a monster, and the most complicated 3-D model I've ever built! :confused:
Still not finished, but, gettin' there...! :)

View attachment 194208
View attachment 194209

You'll laugh at me for this, but just looking at this model (without having any prior knowledge of it being an over-the-top "home"), it struck me to look like some sort of (maybe) school or institutional compound. I'm stunned that this is actually going to be someone's home--who in heaven's name needs all that space, etc.?! :jawdrop:

Really impressive work you did on this model though--wow!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
There was a key phrase in that report concerning brine... "must be timed correctly". Therein lies the problem. The timing of application actually depends more on availability of people and equipment to apply it to the highway systems. Around here they will place it at least 24 hours previous to the event, sometimes more. What that leaves is tiny white stripes of salt on the pavement. Also our warmer climate here is such that it usually rains before it turns into snow. When it rains it literally washes what little salt is there to begin with off the pavement and onto a place rendering it useless. Also it depends on how much ice and snow that a particular area gets. For a blizzard like this weeks, it is totally ineffective. The process cannot keep up with the speed of the downfall. Also around here they tend to wait until the snow event is over before they even attempt to get out an clear it out. So, it really amounts to zero usefulness as far as I can see.

Since you have all the answers, you need to share that with all the states, since none of them have consulted with you first about this.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Good morning, my dh is going to work today but he's picking up a couple of people who can only sled down to the main road. One of them is going to try and get down the hill on a large sheet of cardboard.:eek: That should be quite a sight an overweight middle aged man sledding:hilarious: Who says the work ethic is dead?:rolleyes: It's currently in the teens and the boys are still home:grumpy: :mad: Tonight's dinner groundhog etouffee with Pinot Noir:D

HA! I love that!!! That sledding guy has spunk!!! :hilarious:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
View attachment 194259
Happy Paddys day to ya.

Adorable!! Happy St. Patrick's Day to you and the lovely Mrs. at home, too!!

banner.jpg

Goofyernmost

Since you have all the answers, you need to share that with all the states, since none of them have consulted with you first about this.
I don't have all the answers, I have a lot of questions and they are based on what I see and almost 70 years of experience, not what some group of people that may or may not have a vested interest in pushing an agenda have to say. You know the old saying... "trust nothing that you hear or read and only half of what you see". :)

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I think between your recollections and that of @Gabe1 's, part of what I miss about the older cafeteria models was just the interaction between the customers and the food staff behind the counters. @Cesar R M , with a buffet style restaurant, the customer pays a fixed price and self-serves from a buffet section. There's nothing technically "wrong" with that in itself, and buffet restaurants are sometimes the way to go, under certain circumstances.

For me, maybe it's just a small thing; but the loss of so many of these cafeteria style restaurants is just another example of the impersonal trend in our society. This evolving trend filters into other businesses such in some supermarkets and in places like Lowes & CVS. There are self-service checkouts in both. I refuse to go to those, and have actually waited in line for a "live" person at the regular checkout line.
I don't remember the name of it now, but, back in the 80's there was one of those cafeteria type places on Rte 197 on the Kissimmee side of I-4. It had big turntable style setup where plated food, proportioned, came riding along in front of you and you picked what you wanted off the turntable. I mean this was a huge turntable. It was also cheap and for a family of four on a very strict budget it was a godsend. I think it disappeared by the mid-90's, I don't remember. The only downside was that the music was on a loop and every five minutes you would hear Marty Robbins singing El Paso. Whenever I hear that song now, I immediately think about that restaurant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom